Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 77,759 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating to Phoenix in a few weeks. While I have two job offers waiting for me doing case management either in Glendale or Mesa, my husband will be looking for electronic technician jobs in the Phoenix/Tempe/Chandler area. Since we are new to the area, we have decided to rent rather than buy to become more familiar with the Phoenix metro. However where to rent, how long to rent, what type of house to buy, and how to move are points of contention.

Personally, I’m inclined to rent for 3-6 months and then buy a house at the halfway point between our two jobs. My husband wants to rent for a year and live in the east valley. I want to stay at an Extended Stay America, AirBnB or VRBO and my husband wants to rent a house. I want a new or remodeled home and my husband wants an older fixer upper. Plus, I want to use PODS and he wants to rent the largest U-Haul truck and drive it (while towing his car) from CA to AZ (I’d be driving my SUV with the three dogs in back).

The only thing we agree on is we have to find a place that will accept our three fur babies (Chihuahua mixes) and that we are downsizing our belongings from a 4 bedroom/2 bathroom – 1750 sq. foot home to half as much. We are donating most of our furniture and junk for a tax write off and use the profit from the sale of our house to buy new items.

Basically, I need help/suggestions/advice to avoid the stress of last move which was only 50 miles. I don’t want to end up in the psych ward for a nervous breakdown over a move of 300 miles.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 06:50 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,161,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post
My husband and I will be relocating to Phoenix in a few weeks. While I have two job offers waiting for me doing case management either in Glendale or Mesa, my husband will be looking for electronic technician jobs in the Phoenix/Tempe/Chandler area. Since we are new to the area, we have decided to rent rather than buy to become more familiar with the Phoenix metro. However where to rent, how long to rent, what type of house to buy, and how to move are points of contention.

Personally, I’m inclined to rent for 3-6 months and then buy a house at the halfway point between our two jobs. My husband wants to rent for a year and live in the east valley. I want to stay at an Extended Stay America, AirBnB or VRBO and my husband wants to rent a house. I want a new or remodeled home and my husband wants an older fixer upper. Plus, I want to use PODS and he wants to rent the largest U-Haul truck and drive it (while towing his car) from CA to AZ (I’d be driving my SUV with the three dogs in back).

The only thing we agree on is we have to find a place that will accept our three fur babies (Chihuahua mixes) and that we are downsizing our belongings from a 4 bedroom/2 bathroom – 1750 sq. foot home to half as much. We are donating most of our furniture and junk for a tax write off and use the profit from the sale of our house to buy new items.

Basically, I need help/suggestions/advice to avoid the stress of last move which was only 50 miles. I don’t want to end up in the psych ward for a nervous breakdown over a move of 300 miles.

There are more tech jobs in the Chandler area. Hence, if I was you, I'd take the Mesa job. Why not both be in the same area versus 1/2 in between?

I'm with your hubby. Rent for a year. But there are a lot of ways to go about staying while you figure out a spot to live. I will say, it probably takes 2-3 years to officially figure out what is the right town. No way can you figure it out in 3-6 months even while working.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:26 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Sounds like you all need to get together on this...if you don't need all your "stuff" that you are bringing with you, PODS may be a good way to go as they will store it until you are ready. If not, and all your stuff doesn't fit, you may be looking at storage until you buy.

Instead of AirBnB or VRBO...there are plenty of places that will rent for 6 months with an option to extend if needs be. You may not need a house at first and MAYBE renting an apartment would be a catalyst to encourage you to purchase a home. As far as the new/remodel or an older home...if you make enough money off the sale of your home in CA there is a lot to be said for putting your own remodel together rather than altering someone else's "vision" for a home. Just make sure you have a reputable home inspector look at the property for any underlying issues. Especially since the 6 month mark puts you into May/June? Moving in 100+ degree heat is NOT fun.

You stated you are downsizing by half...so you are looking for a 900 sqft home? Seems really small by AZ standards...

Location is important but the traffic here is nowhere as bad as CA so don't let that scare you. I agree with MN above that Chandler/Mesa/Gilbert/Tempe/Scottsdale is going to have more "tech" jobs than Glendale so focusing somewhere in the East Valley or Central would be ideal. Central may be better since you would have a reverse commute to the East Valley if you had to commute at all.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:11 AM

494 posts, read 501,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEBMurray View Post

First, you're leaving the psych ward and congratulations for getting the heck out of California. Your stress level is about to go way down.

I vote for using a U-haul. You can use they're loading/unloading service at each end and just drive the truck. PODS are pricey.

I'd also vote for renting for 6 - 12 months, but first you may want to try VRBO rentals for a few weeks in different parts of the Valley (East, West, North, South) to that you can sample what it's like to live in each area.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:38 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,292,531 times
If you are selling most your furniture/junk before you go, will you really need a PODS container? Sell enough and you might be able to get by with no PODS, drive car and SUV and tow UHaul trailer behind the SUV. Compare costs and see how much different it will be money wise. The stuff you are wanting to keep might not be worth the extra cost to move it; it may be cheaper in the long run to just replace a lot of stuff.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:03 PM

576 posts, read 831,210 times
Moving is always one of the most stressful events in a person's life. Sounds to me like you are already pretty stressed just thinking about it. Maybe up front counseling will help. Perhaps the counselor would be able to also help you and your husband find common ground. I think you have much bigger issues than just a move. You don't want to have this move end up in a divorce.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:44 PM

186 posts, read 195,380 times
My advice is to get rid of everything you can. Keep only things you cannot or do not want to replace. The first year's storage unit charges often exceed the value of the contents. You'll also find that the things that played well in CA don't look so good in AZ. I'm talking colors, styles, fabrics, etc. You may also find your tastes change after being here a while. Take your time, rent, look around, visit model homes for decorating ideas, have some fun with it. You're both making this harder than it needs to be. You may find common ground after looking around some.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:22 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,772,466 times
House for a year as you'll want to experience all the seasons. Uhaul will likely be the most economical but if not then pods will be less of a headache, just ensure you have a place to keep the pod (so if you rent an apartment, asking where and if there is a place to store it for a few days). The pods are kind of on their own schedule so you have to be flexible.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,308,440 times
Co-worker of mine used the U Haul service to load and unload and they never showed up so he had to load and unload. He said he would not do it again because he ended up with a back injury moving heavy couches and beds with just his him and his wife. I would go with the POD because then you can take your time unloading not have to have the truck back so fast where U-Haul charging by the day. You're going to find renting less than one year is going to cost lot more money I would just sign a lease for 1 year make sure you document everything when you do walk down with the leasing company or they will get you to pay for any damage which you didn't have them document when you moved in. When I moved from CA to AZ 20 years ago I used a U-Haul trailer and had someone drive my other car I also got a storage unit in CA kept half my stuff there incase I wanted to move back. Eventually I went back and got the rest in my pickup truck.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:54 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Looking for the LEAST stressful method of moving the contents of your home? Hire a moving company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area