Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 06:45 PM

2,623 posts, read 2,363,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Who cares, it doesn't change the fact that the ever increasing concrete jungle is raising a the overnight lose and it is doesn't cool off anymore. This is raising the averaging temperature so all of this unchecked growth is with be the eventual downfall.
Shocking News!

This growth is the downfall of what exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:07 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,981,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Phoenix heat: 5 facts that prove it's worse than you think

If you think Phoenix is hotter now than it used to be, you're right.

You're preaching to the choir.

I've been here since 1972.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:11 AM

6,355 posts, read 4,981,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post

This growth is the downfall of what exactly?
Civilization as we know it.

Phoenix will be reduced to the post-apocalyptic desert waste land depicted in the 1975 movie "A Boy and His Dog."

Old 09-07-2017, 01:46 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Who cares, it doesn't change the fact that the ever increasing concrete jungle is raising a the overnight lose and it is doesn't cool off anymore. This is raising the averaging temperature so all of this unchecked growth is with be the eventual downfall.
It used to cool off rather nicely late at night & in the early morning hours long ago when the Phoenix area was a lot smaller & had more agriculture. Even in the summer months, low temps in the 60s & 70s were not uncommon. Now, it's unusual for summer lows to dip into the 70s unless there is a heavy monsoon rain. Also, it's not only the concrete/asphalt jungle that is making things hotter ... all these rock yards are contributing to it as well. Funny how the ones who are calling for the removal of grass lawns because they consume a lot of water are the same ones who can't live without their swimming pools!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
and without the "urban sprawl, we'd cram twice as many people into half the size (like LA)... I'm sure you'd complain then too.
Uh, no. L.A. is still the urban sprawl king of the U.S., and this is evident by how much land area their metro area takes up.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:34 PM

394 posts, read 344,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Uh, no. L.A. is still the urban sprawl king of the U.S., and this is evident by how much land area their metro area takes up.
Wrong.

Los Angeles (city, not County) is not urban sprawl. Thread is about Phx (not Maricopa)... And even LA County is not urban sprawl...

Riverside County, San Bernardino County maybe... But LA, no. It's been over-developed for decades and is an urban jungle (not urban sprawl). People are crammed all over each other there.

But what do I know, I only lived in the area for 50 years. I'm sure you're far more informed.

ETA: LA is approx 500 square miles, Phx about the same... LA 4M people, Phx has less than half that... LA County is 4751 Sq MI with 10 million people, Maricopa is twice as big with half as many people.

So "twice as many people in half the size" - is pretty accurate.

Last edited by AZ_Rookie; 09-07-2017 at 10:44 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 11:26 PM

2,622 posts, read 2,349,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Don't worry, about a 1/4 of these transplants end up leaving after a few years because they cant take the heat any more.
Interesting those transplants leave for that reason. With me if there's no humidity, you can put me in an oven, figuratively speaking, and I'll be OK. I wonder how many others are like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_Rookie View Post
Los Angeles (city, not County) is not urban sprawl. Thread is about Phx (not Maricopa)... And even LA County is not urban sprawl...

Riverside County, San Bernardino County maybe... But LA, no. It's been over-developed for decades and is an urban jungle (not urban sprawl). People are crammed all over each other there.

ETA: LA is approx 500 square miles, Phx about the same... LA 4M people, Phx has less than half that... LA County is 4751 Sq MI with 10 million people, Maricopa is twice as big with half as many people.

So "twice as many people in half the size" - is pretty accurate.

Something interesting to add: New York City is about the same size as LA geographically but has about twice as many people.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 AM

4,421 posts, read 6,283,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I'd take increased heat over summer long wildfires, hurricanes, tornadoes or earthquakes.

Looks like I'm staying in the Southwest.
Hey, it STILL beats the hell out of 6 months of snow!

Old 09-08-2017, 07:50 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,613 times
Take a look at Hitchcock's Psycho. The scene in the realtor's office. The buyer complains to the office staff, about the heat. The broker invites him back to his office, which is air conditioned. It is December......and of course, the broker doesn't take responsibility for the 40000 his secretary steals.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,432,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Phoenix heat: 5 facts that prove it's worse than you think

If you think Phoenix is hotter now than it used to be, you're right.

This year, the summer months of June, July and August were the fifth-hottest in the city's history, dating to 1895, when daily highs and lows were first recorded.

The record heat shouldn't be a surprise: Six of the eight hottest summers in Phoenix have happened since 2000.
Sure would love to see a story with actual facts. The Arizona Central piece did not have any facts on historical heat in the Phoenix area.

I want to see the history dating from 1895.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:34 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,432,831 times
Three hottest days in Phoenix History all happened in the 1990's.

https://science.kjzz.org/content/491...corded-history

Ten Hottest days in Phoenix History (June 25 - June 28, 1990 accounts for four of the hottest days in Phoenix history.

https://phoenix-az.knoji.com/10-allt...ys-in-phoenix/

This year is not even record setting:

June 2017 in Phoenix was hot, but not record-setting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area