Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 02:02 PM

2,775 posts, read 5,739,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
How do you suppose I as one person could bring in the ambitious, talented, skilled people we need to have the competitive jobs? For one thing, I'm certainly no Bill Gates or Jeff Bezos ... and most importantly, it takes a large network of people with vision and innovation to do what I have proposed. Phoenix definitely has potential to be a world class metro region, but it's not going to happen as long as the majority of those who live here and move here have little to no interest in helping to make it all it can be. This city has come a long way in the last few decades, but it still falls behind in many areas compared to other cities & metro areas our size.
Yeah, I was just curious since you are always going on about "Phoenix needs to .... in order to ......"

Thought you might actually participate in something you could share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 04:43 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,757,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
On top of that ASU is a state public university that has to have relaxed general admission standards.
Berkeley is a public school as well, but there are enough public schools in the state that Berkeley and UCLA can have tougher admission standards than, say, Long Beach State. The problem here is that we don't let one of the top two schools rise above the other. If they made ASU harder to get into than U of A (or vice versa) the reputation would improve. Schools like Michigan, Virginia and North Carolina have national reputations--typically in the top 5 public schools with UCLA and Berkeley--because of their admission standards and the existence of Michigan State, Virginia Tech, NC State, etc., for the folks that don't make the cut.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:14 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,818,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
So in other words: you're OK with Phoenix being the nation's 5th largest city, but still acting like a small town?! Sorry, but with your attitude, Phoenix will continue to attract people with few skills and little ambition who want nothing more out of life except warmer weather & sunshine. With your attitude, Phoenix will continue to be looked down on by much of the nation as little more than a sprawling mass of concrete in the middle of a hot unforgiving desert with not much to offer. With your attitude, Phoenix will continue to be passed over for better opportunities in every aspect.

By the way, we can be a world class metro area and still maintain a reasonable cost of living. Dallas and Houston are two metro areas that I would call world class (or close to it at the very least), yet their housing is still affordable, cost of living is reasonable (not cheap), and best of all there is no state income tax in Texas. The Phoenix area needs fewer NIMBYs like you.
I'm not saying I'm against all growth. Our geography makes building more housing somewhat of an issue as Maricopa County is surrounded by Indian reservations (unless you want to build wayyyyyy out there) in which we have no right to expand beyond our city boundaries.

The only way we can compensate for a world class city is to become denser, not sprawlier. I mean, given how sprawling everything is nowadays, let's see how much pushback you get from current property owners if you want to plop down a skyscraper outside of DT Phoenix. But we don't want to build skyscrapers everywhere. We still want to have choices for people to live in. A downtown busy dense area, surrounded by suburbs with single family homes.

But as it is right now, we're building housing at a reasonable pace and lots of people are moving here. The market is getting stronger and tighter. We don't need anymore attention until we can build our way past the influx of people already moving here over the next 2 decades. If Amazon decides to pick Phoenix to settle down into, that's fine, but we shouldn't actively pursue them with all the tax breaks and incentives possible. We still have to do a reasonable job at planning for the metro area future. Neglecting that aspect would be detrimental to the quality of living you're used to now. (Unless you want to go for a metropolis like LA with clogged freeways and ultra dense single family properties).

That was my point. We need to build more infrastructure, zone more smartly to reduce the number of people from using cars to get everywhere. Also we need to expand freeway capacity by widening and building new freeways as well as expanding mass transit. We also need to build a ton of new housing. If you keep COL reasonable, people will come as other cities can't get their stuff together and when people come, so will the businesses and their culture (diversity!). Let it happen organically.

We also need to kind of invest in our schools. Since our public school system is literally dead last. We also need to invest in ASU/UA/NAU to train more people.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:16 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,743,002 times
Uhhh, I thought Amazon released a list of the 20 cities it was considering? I saw the list and Phoenix wasn't on it. Isn't this a mute topic now?

Old 01-21-2018, 09:35 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,681,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Uhhh, I thought Amazon released a list of the 20 cities it was considering? I saw the list and Phoenix wasn't on it. Isn't this a mute topic now?
Moot, maybe. The discussion has evolved into why we weren’t selected and how the area can better position itself.

Old 01-21-2018, 01:17 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,743,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Moot, maybe. The discussion has evolved into why we weren’t selected and how the area can better position itself.
Thanks! Hadn't noticed that the doggone auto-correct got me!

Old 01-21-2018, 02:01 PM

2,807 posts, read 3,189,333 times
Maybe we can apply for the 1st headquarters now that we lost out on the second? - Win bigly!

Old 01-21-2018, 06:51 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,070,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Maybe we can apply for the 1st headquarters now that we lost out on the second? - Win bigly!
Maybe we can accuse the other cities that still remain in contention of collusion instead and force Amazon via a "friendly" judge court order to come here?
Attempt a win by any and all means!

Seriously though, AZ was never seriously in contention. We don't have the public transportation nor the tech infrastructure that a project that big would require. Nor do we have the amount of bribe money available that Amazon is being offered AND will get from other locations.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:20 PM

7,328 posts, read 12,384,718 times
So many conspiracy theories why Phoenix wasn't selected, from racism to collusion by other cities. I highly doubt any of those were the primary reason why Phoenix wasn't selected. Public transportation and education, as well as geography were probably far more important reasons why Phoenix wasn't selected.

Old 01-21-2018, 10:45 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,634,073 times
I suspect we weren't chosen because we're too close to the existing HQ location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area