Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:20 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,633,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
In reading through some of this, it's amazing how many excuses some posters can conjure up as to why Amazon rejected the Phoenix area. What's really hilarious is all the nonsense statements, such as "Arizona is xenophobic, backward and racist", "we don't fund the schools enough", "Phoenix doesn't have good public transit", "Phoenix is in the same time zone as Seattle", "we're too close to the current HQs", etc. This is all 100% b.s.!

Most companies look first and foremost for skill, talent, ambition, motivation, and most of all: they go where the money is! This is why I emphasize that the Phoenix area seriously needs to grow up and focus more on things that make other similarly sized cities successful, particularly the large cities in Texas. What is it about Texas (besides the oil) which keeps the taxes & cost of living reasonable, yet very attractive to big business? What Dallas & Houston have is what Phoenix needs more of: business oriented "go getters", and fewer transplants who are here just for climate, recreation, or retirement.

It's also discouraging to see how many people are against tax incentives for large, world renowned corporations. I see nothing wrong with offering tax breaks and other perks to companies which contribute positively to an area. Not only do they create numerous jobs, they also help communities by sponsoring a plethora of charity drives. Many companies donate money and manpower to blighted urban areas, helping poor, inner city neighborhoods. I'd much rather have charity and community service handled by private enterprise than the government. And I'd much rather have tax incentives given to companies which serve a real purpose than to breeders who sponge off the taxpayers and contribute very little in return!
It's unfortunate how many people are out there with anti-Arizona agendas, no matter how ridiculous they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,696,744 times
Quote:
In reading through some of this, it's amazing how many excuses some posters can conjure up as to why Amazon rejected the Phoenix area. What's really hilarious is all the nonsense statements, such as "Arizona is xenophobic, backward and racist", "we don't fund the schools enough", "Phoenix doesn't have good public transit", "Phoenix is in the same time zone as Seattle", "we're too close to the current HQs", etc. This is all 100% b.s.!

Most companies look first and foremost for skill, talent, ambition, motivation, and most of all: they go where the money is! This is why I emphasize that the Phoenix area seriously needs to grow up and focus more on things that make other similarly sized cities successful, particularly the large cities in Texas. What is it about Texas (besides the oil) which keeps the taxes & cost of living reasonable, yet very attractive to big business? What Dallas & Houston have is what Phoenix needs more of: business oriented "go getters", and fewer transplants who are here just for climate, recreation, or retirement.

It's also discouraging to see how many people are against tax incentives for large, world renowned corporations. I see nothing wrong with offering tax breaks and other perks to companies which contribute positively to an area. Not only do they create numerous jobs, they also help communities by sponsoring a plethora of charity drives. Many companies donate money and manpower to blighted urban areas, helping poor, inner city neighborhoods. I'd much rather have charity and community service handled by private enterprise than the government. And I'd much rather have tax incentives given to companies which serve a real purpose than to breeders who sponge off the taxpayers and contribute very little in return!
I think part of your argument is against itself. Skilled, talented, ambitious, motivated people with money don't want to live in a place that is perceived to be backwards, xenophobic, and with a poor public school system. Maybe a bit of a chicken and the egg deal, but I don't think perception can be completely minimized as a factor.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:46 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,316,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I think part of your argument is against itself. Skilled, talented, ambitious, motivated people with money don't want to live in a place that is perceived to be backwards, xenophobic, and with a poor public school system. Maybe a bit of a chicken and the egg deal, but I don't think perception can be completely minimized as a factor.
But we're NOT backward or xenophobic. People who are truly educated, skilled, and motivated would see Phoenix as a city with enormous growth & progress, and the potential to be a great world renowned city, instead of having the false perception of Arizona being the Mississippi or Alabama of the SW. I will admit that certain events over the years have put some scars on the state's image, but many of those things are no longer existent and should have been long forgotten about by now. The school system is poor only because it's public. Those who are business oriented and have money will want to put their kids in a good private school if they truly care about the quality of education.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:08 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,696,744 times
Quote:
But we're NOT backward or xenophobic. People who are truly educated, skilled, and motivated would see Phoenix as a city with enormous growth & progress, and the potential to be a great world renowned city, instead of having the false perception of Arizona being the Mississippi or Alabama of the SW. I will admit that certain events over the years have put some scars on the state's image, but many of those things are no longer existent and should have been long forgotten about by now. The school system is poor only because it's public. Those who are business oriented and have money will want to put their kids in a good private school if they truly care about the quality of education.
We still have people supporting Arpaio, and SB 1070 and SB 1062 are hardly ancient history. Maybe it's just that the fringe lunatics are louder here than elsewhere, but their presence is noticed on a national scale and absolutely impacts our ability to attract talented people and businesses.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:32 PM

50 posts, read 53,239 times
Detroit nailed it. Valid or not, these reputation 'scars' take a long time to heal. Then along comes Chemtrail Kelli being taken seriously and the heads begin to shake ....

Old 01-23-2018, 12:46 PM

7,330 posts, read 12,399,958 times
Fact is that education and public transit were among the two main criteria that Amazon was looking for, plus geography probably played a factor. Any other reason such as racism is a conspiracy theory.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:18 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,992,108 times
In retrospect, Chicago is as racist and segregated as they come, run by perhaps the most corrupt city gov't in the nation, faces some of the highest taxes around, and has overly rampant crime. Yet it still attracts business.

Don't tell me businesses don't want to move here because many here support an ex-sheriff who promoted raids on ILLEGAL immigrants. That's just bs.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:37 PM

369 posts, read 271,981 times
Default Omg, why do you live here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitshipp View Post
I'm happy about it. Not interested in even more traffic.
Traffic is a way of life in a big city dear.

The Phoenix Valley lost out on a company that pays good wages and brings a substantial return on investment. I think we have more to be concerned about than traffic.

Old 01-23-2018, 04:52 PM

Default Mississippi of the west?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
Amazon doesn't want to go to place that's called the Mississippi of the West. The reasons are many and obvious why Jeff Bezos skipped past AZ. It was probably the first place eliminated.
You're really full of it if you think the Phoenix Valley is anything like Mississippi. I bet you don't even live here, you're probably just trolling the C-D boards.

Maybe you should come here for a visit and open your eyes. Phoenix continues to be a fast-growing metropolitan area with a booming economy so lots of people obviously find it attractive. Mississippi is hardly growing at all and the economy is in the toilet. No comparison at all.

Last edited by singlegirlinaz; 01-23-2018 at 05:06 PM..

Old 01-23-2018, 05:05 PM

Default Oh please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
LA is still in the running, so that’s not it.

We have awful schools and are known for being xenophobic on top of having 110 degree summers and a rapidly dwindling water supply. Why would a company as progressive as Amazon ever consider Phoenix?
I agree the summers are dreadfully hot but what about the places in the east that are dreadfully cold with -10 degree winters and -40 degree wind chill factors? Extreme weather doesn't seem to be a deterrent in Boston or New York.

Where are these awful schools you speak of? Seriously they're not as bad as you think they are.

Xenophobic? Phoenix has a huge Hispanic population and they blend in with everyone else. I don't notice any discrimination or mistreatment and obviously they don't either because they stay and seem to like it here just fine.

Where are your facts to back up your claim about Phoenix's rapidly dwindling water supply? Last I heard we have plenty of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area