Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2017, 10:35 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times

Advertisements

I don't like the idea of 40th street and Washington it seems to built up there especially with the canal. Unless they took over the Park and Swap or something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 10:56 PM

58 posts, read 69,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Amazon already has an office here in Tempe and they struggle to hire people for the tech positions there. So they have an office on top of two fulfillment centers here. They aren't going to put in the HQ here. Let's look at what they want:
Where did you hear that they are struggling to hire? Not more than any of their other sites, actually they are ramping up hiring on that specific site. I don't really know how these rumors come out, I am really curious where/who told you this.

Last edited by outsideliving; 09-10-2017 at 10:57 PM.. Reason: again grammar

Old 09-11-2017, 07:57 AM

770 posts, read 837,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I don't like the idea of 40th street and Washington it seems to built up there especially with the canal. Unless they took over the Park and Swap or something.
In my post I said 40th st and Washington at the Greyhound Park/park and swap site. Its a huge lot, there is an exsisting light rail station, it's one stop away from the airport sky train. The canal is at 44th st and runs under the sky train so that wouldn't be a factor.

Old 09-11-2017, 04:02 PM

30 posts, read 27,984 times
No place in Arizona stands a chance of being selected for the new HQ2. Arizona consistently ranks among the least educated states. It's in the same time zone as Seattle. And public transportation is scant. I will go out on a limb and say the best candidates will be Austin, TX (or anywhere in Texas), Atlanta, Chicago, suburban Washington DC and Indianapolis (your eyes are not fooling you on this one)

Old 09-11-2017, 04:19 PM

30 posts, read 27,984 times
The HQ2 will definitely not be in AZ. The state consistently is among the worst in education. Public transportation is scant. And it's already in the same general timezone as Seattle. My predictions are Austin, Tx(or anywhere in TX), Atlanta, Chicago, suburban Washington DC or Indianapolis (your eyes are not fooling you on this one). The Valley of the Sun will be the first place eliminated.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
Looks like Phoenix Columbus or SLC - due to access to airports. Looks like it has to be Phoenix since the other two are tiny towns and not really "cities" at all.

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/9/1627...d-headquarters
The only "selling point" of those three cities that article mentions is the proximity of downtown areas to airports. It in no way states any of those three cities are the top contenders. If you factor in everything else Amazon wants, none of those cities seems to be a serious contender. I wouldn't even discount Phoenix or Salt Lake City for relative proximity to Seattle, as there are major corporations with secondary major offices within the same metro areas. While I don't suppose there's any harm in trying, I would almost guarantee Amazon won't go with any of those three you listed when some of the other contenders already have a lot going for them that Amazon wants.

Last edited by dvxhd; 09-11-2017 at 06:07 PM..

Old 09-11-2017, 05:55 PM

94 posts, read 119,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
No place in Arizona stands a chance of being selected for the new HQ2. Arizona consistently ranks among the least educated states. It's in the same time zone as Seattle. And public transportation is scant. I will go out on a limb and say the best candidates will be Austin, TX (or anywhere in Texas), Atlanta, Chicago, suburban Washington DC and Indianapolis (your eyes are not fooling you on this one)
Phoenix is the only large city with an airport that is in the downtown area. That makes Phx the only real possible choice (due to the nature of the business). The considerations you mention are not relevant at all compared to proximity to a major airport.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddandano View Post
Phoenix is the only large city with an airport that is in the downtown area. That makes Phx the only real possible choice (due to the nature of the business). The considerations you mention are not relevant at all compared to proximity to a major airport.
Downtown San Diego is a similar distance from its airport.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:55 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,503,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
Here is the report. Amazon's second headquarters: Does metro Phoenix have a chance?

Phoenix stands just as much of a chance to land Amazon as those other cities, it has some things going for it that the other cities lack.

I agree about some of the setbacks, the education factor and the location.

Thank the knuckleheads in the legislature for slashing education. Well-funded schools are important for attracting business and talent, and this is a reason why many big companies are bypassing Phoenix.

An eastern MSA might be a better balance for the location but Phoenix has an advantage for good weather compared to Seattle and many of the other places you listed above.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:28 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,341,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Here is the report. Amazon's second headquarters: Does metro Phoenix have a chance?

Phoenix stands just as much of a chance to land Amazon as those other cities, it has some things going for it that the other cities lack.

I agree about some of the setbacks, the education factor and the location.

Thank the knuckleheads in the legislature for slashing education. Well-funded schools are important for attracting business and talent, and this is a reason why many big companies are bypassing Phoenix.

An eastern MSA might be a better balance for the location but Phoenix has an advantage for good weather compared to Seattle and many of the other places you listed above.
I would probably say mass transit is the biggest limiting factor. Mass transit is limited in many areas of the Valley, with the best areas for transit typically being central/south Phoenix, Tempe, and west/central Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area