Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best areas for a young urban professional?
North Tempe (near ASU) 1 5.26%
Old Town Scottsdale 8 42.11%
Uptown Phoenix 3 15.79%
Downtown Phoenix 9 47.37%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 09:43 AM

550 posts, read 1,492,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhureeKeeper View Post
I was trying to convey the OP should live within their means. Not be focused on living in a "yuppie location" or whatever that means. They would save money by living elsewhere. Do you need to be by nightlife every day of the week? I like to visit downtown Phoenix, or go to Old Town Scottsdale, but I wouldn't want to live near either place.
Well I must not be as privy to her financial situation as you are. I wouldn't assume downtown or Old Town are above her means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Uptown is where I would choose if I was your age. Why? Its close to everything, without all the pitfalls of living downtown (read: traffic, bums, conventions, sporting events, etc). Downtown is cool and hip (I guess), but is a major inconvenience when any game is going on, or in winter when they block off Central to put in that stupid ice skating rink. I also loathe all the one-way streets downtown. Uptown is nice, and getting better and better, but with none of the hassles that come with living downtown. And you're still a 5-10 minute light rail ride away from downtown if you feel the need to go there.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:13 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,764,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Uptown is where I would choose if I was your age. Why? Its close to everything, without all the pitfalls of living downtown (read: traffic, bums, conventions, sporting events, etc). Downtown is cool and hip (I guess), but is a major inconvenience when any game is going on, or in winter when they block off Central to put in that stupid ice skating rink. I also loathe all the one-way streets downtown. Uptown is nice, and getting better and better, but with none of the hassles that come with living downtown. And you're still a 5-10 minute light rail ride away from downtown if you feel the need to go there.
Is McDowell/Central not uptown? Plenty of homeless folks there too and most of us desiring urban living understand the tradeoff, you get the bad with the good in any decision. Having tons to do right outside of my door or within a 5 minute walk is far more appealing than being a 5-10 minute light rail ride away. All the games, events and conventions means lots of restaurants, bars and nightlife. The furthest north I would consider is probably McDowell or just 1/2 a block past it.

And just wondering, does closing the tiny stretch of Central between Jefferson and Washington actually impact anyone? I go downtown all the time and never find a need to drive that stretch of central.

Old 09-22-2017, 12:58 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,327,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Is McDowell/Central not uptown? Plenty of homeless folks there too and most of us desiring urban living understand the tradeoff, you get the bad with the good in any decision. Having tons to do right outside of my door or within a 5 minute walk is far more appealing than being a 5-10 minute light rail ride away. All the games, events and conventions means lots of restaurants, bars and nightlife. The furthest north I would consider is probably McDowell or just 1/2 a block past it.

And just wondering, does closing the tiny stretch of Central between Jefferson and Washington actually impact anyone? I go downtown all the time and never find a need to drive that stretch of central.
Central and McDowell isn't considered uptown ... it's midtown or the Central Corridor. The area around Central and Camelback would be considered uptown or north central. What's amusing is the title of this thread pertaining to "yuppies". Seems like a throwback to the '80s! Back then, they were the youngish 30 somethings who were materialistic. Those types are mostly retired and living on fixed incomes by now.

Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,766,527 times
The designations are pretty arbitrary, but I would put "uptown" as starting north of the Grand Canal, midtown south of there to either McDowell or I-10, and downtown south of that. You actually don't hear uptown used all that much except in reference to Uptown Plaza.

Hilarious how suburban people have difficulties with one way streets. Way too challenging for them I guess.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:21 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Well I must not be as privy to her financial situation as you are. I wouldn't assume downtown or Old Town are above her means.
They aren't, but it's important to consider the areas have higher rents.

Old 09-22-2017, 05:22 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,864,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post

wouldn't it interfere with the light rail?

Old 09-25-2017, 11:26 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,517,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Does anybody really use the term "yuppie" anymore? I thought that fad started in the '70s or '80s and kind of fizzled out in the '90s. In any case, if these types were to choose a location suitable for their lifestyle, I'd say Scottsdale would be the top choice. Downtown Phoenix, Central Corridor, Camelback East, Arcadia, and Kierland would be some other good yuppie areas ... however, I can't really see downtown Tempe/Mill District being one of them.
I rarely hear it said anymore, not in the last ten years anyway.

They're still around but in a different age group, and I highly doubt they refer to themselves as yuppies.

I prefer to call them plastic millionaires.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:16 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,463,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Does anybody really use the term "yuppie" anymore? I thought that fad started in the '70s or '80s and kind of fizzled out in the '90s. In any case, if these types were to choose a location suitable for their lifestyle, I'd say Scottsdale would be the top choice. Downtown Phoenix, Central Corridor, Camelback East, Arcadia, and Kierland would be some other good yuppie areas ... however, I can't really see downtown Tempe/Mill District being one of them.
I think the "Hipsters" are the new yuppies...I live in downtown Phoenix and there are a LOT of Hipsters here...

Old 09-26-2017, 09:08 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

Hilarious how suburban people have difficulties with one way streets. Way too challenging for them I guess.
There's a difference between "challenging" and being a pain in the arse! The one way streets in downtown, ESPECIALLY during game time when many are blocked off, are a HUGE pain. I guess distinguishing the difference between the two is way too "challenging" for urbanites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area