Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 07:51 PM

8,026 posts, read 12,179,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgl77 View Post
I grew up in New Mexico and lived in ABQ for a total of about 5 years. It will be interesting to hear the OPs opinion after a year there. Many people don't stay after living there a year or so. The crime rate is very high, more than double that of Phoenix. Drugs and gangs are a very big problem there. The COL is good but the pay scale is atrocious for many jobs. The economy has never recovered from the government spending cuts right after the great recession. In fact, the recession is still going on in New Mexico!

I love NM. But it isn't called the land of entrapment for nothing. Many many people have come and gone in short order. But good luck.
Exactly! This last summer when I was in Colorado, I happened to tune in to a TV news broadcast from the NBC affiliate out of Albuquerque, and there was a report about how bad the crime rate was there. In fact, they said it was so bad that the police can't keep up with all the incidents, and many cops have left the force. Their Mayor blames the number of people released from jail and how the city can't keep up with it. Anyway, it was pretty interesting how a city that really isn't all that big has such a huge crime problem.

I personally dislike traveling through New Mexico because it's miles upon miles of high desert & low scrubland, Indian Reservations, and very little to be entertained with. I stopped at a gas station north of Gallup which was run by so called Native Americans, and the inside of the store was run down with the FILTHIEST restrooms! Sorry to say that NM is my least favorite part of driving to Colorado. Albuquerque is pretty bland for the most part. Santa Fe and Taos are scenic, but the novelty soon wears off because they're touristy & artsy, which isn't really what I'm into. I'll take AZ anytime over NM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 08:32 PM

656 posts, read 806,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMouse111 View Post
LOL. I am speechless too! I seriously thought since I came from Florida that it wouldn't be any problem at all. And I'm speechless on how it affected my health so wickedly!

Unless you work outdoors, there is no problem. Air conditioning is everywhere.

Plus in the summer, you great those great mornings from 5-8am to exercise and do other outdoor stuff, which I love.

And nothing beats winters where it is sunny and clear every day....which is why hundreds of thousands visit then from as far away as northern Canada.

Old 10-06-2017, 11:00 PM

221 posts, read 191,005 times
Since I came from Florida, enduring 17 summers, what was gleaned from five years review of the CD forum was accurate.
Sizzle months are to be taken seriously. With the correct approach (mental and physical) it can have an acceptable balance.
Four years have passed and the comparison is so different.
The desert is much easier to embrace. Forever active a gear unknown has been discovered. Fitness is at a peak. It was opposite when my address was in the Sunshine State. Was tough to be motivated (that humidity unwelcome wagon).

This not a true fact for everyone, the OP has learned a valuable life lesson. Without ones health what more can motivate a person to begin anew? Facing a financial hit smacks with a double negative whammy. There will be growth from this attempt and difficult to see at this point in time, your perseverance will eventually provide you with much life wisdom.

Best to MissMouse111 in this new adventure.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:31 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,568,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgl77 View Post
I grew up in New Mexico and lived in ABQ for a total of about 5 years. It will be interesting to hear the OPs opinion after a year there. Many people don't stay after living there a year or so. The crime rate is very high, more than double that of Phoenix. Drugs and gangs are a very big problem there. The COL is good but the pay scale is atrocious for many jobs. The economy has never recovered from the government spending cuts right after the great recession. In fact, the recession is still going on in New Mexico!

I love NM. But it isn't called the land of entrapment for nothing. Many many people have come and gone in short order. But good luck.
I agree. I moved to PHX two weeks ago FROM ABQ. ABQ has a lot going for it, but it has flaws too, just like any other city. Personally, I got tired of doing stuff the 'old way' because businesses refused to adapt to technology changes. And that won't cut it in my field (accounting & tax). It's nice to work with clients who have email addresses and use them. I will miss the winter though. ABQ has nice winters, believe it or not. But crime has increased in the past 12-18 months in ABQ. I hope you continue to like ABQ, OP. Focus on what you like and as long as it outweighs what you don't like, you'll do fine in ABQ.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:49 AM

44,553 posts, read 61,271,608 times
Traffic in ABQ is a killer, especially the few freeways.

Old 10-07-2017, 12:58 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,568,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Traffic in ABQ is a killer, especially the few freeways.
You're kidding, right? I lived as far east in ABQ as you can get (off Tramway) and NOTHING in ABQ was more than 30-35 minutes away, including during the ABQ rush hour (ABQ has a rush half hour).

Old 10-07-2017, 09:01 AM

445 posts, read 396,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auto camper View Post
Since I came from Florida, enduring 17 summers, what was gleaned from five years review of the CD forum was accurate.
Sizzle months are to be taken seriously. With the correct approach (mental and physical) it can have an acceptable balance.
Four years have passed and the comparison is so different.
The desert is much easier to embrace. Forever active a gear unknown has been discovered. Fitness is at a peak. It was opposite when my address was in the Sunshine State. Was tough to be motivated (that humidity unwelcome wagon).

This not a true fact for everyone, the OP has learned a valuable life lesson. Without ones health what more can motivate a person to begin anew? Facing a financial hit smacks with a double negative whammy. There will be growth from this attempt and difficult to see at this point in time, your perseverance will eventually provide you with much life wisdom.

Best to MissMouse111 in this new adventure.
Very kind of you. Thank you auto camper. Life is one continual learning experience. Can anyone on this forum honestly go through life without making some major mistakes? If that is you, then you're very fortunate to not stumble and fall. I will learn from my experience and move forward. I was in the Sunshine State for 7 years and that humidity does suck the energy out of a lot of residents. I absolutely agree with you.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
You're kidding, right? I lived as far east in ABQ as you can get (off Tramway) and NOTHING in ABQ was more than 30-35 minutes away, including during the ABQ rush hour (ABQ has a rush half hour).
I agree with you. Since moving to ABQ, I haven't experienced any bad traffic at all. It feels like wide open spaces and amenable traffic. Nothing to get frustrated over.

Old 10-07-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I agree. I moved to PHX two weeks ago FROM ABQ. ABQ has a lot going for it, but it has flaws too, just like any other city. Personally, I got tired of doing stuff the 'old way' because businesses refused to adapt to technology changes. And that won't cut it in my field (accounting & tax). It's nice to work with clients who have email addresses and use them. I will miss the winter though. ABQ has nice winters, believe it or not. But crime has increased in the past 12-18 months in ABQ. I hope you continue to like ABQ, OP. Focus on what you like and as long as it outweighs what you don't like, you'll do fine in ABQ.
Thank you. I have my family here and that means the world to me. It makes me very happy to spend time with them. I can't stress enough how family is very important! Friends come and go, but family is forever.

I had three interviews in my first week and I plan to stay positive and find that job soon if not sooner! I have faith!

Old 10-07-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I'm guessing it was dehydration; that's what caused the cramps, too.
You may be right. Dehydration does affect your ENTIRE body.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area