Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 10:54 AM

83 posts, read 80,920 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be retiring to the Phoenix area next summer. In January, we're planning a 12-day visit to tour different areas and determine where the best fit might be.

I find several compelling arguments for living in a community like Estrella Mountain Ranch or Verrado, but I wonder about a few things. First, my husband is a car guy, so we need a house with a minimum 3-car garage so he can build his next project. Is this something that's simply a non-starter in either of those developments? Are there regulations against having the garage door open at any time if one is working inside the garage?

Second, what is the current HOA fee, and is it paid quarterly or monthly? Are there any other fees we need to be aware of?

Last (assuming #1 and #2 pan out), are there any properties with slightly larger lots? I'm talking about 10,000 square feet up to, say, 1/4 acre?

Thanks,
Barbara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 03:37 PM

44 posts, read 70,294 times
There are homes in verrado with a 3-car garage and a very long driveway. I don't recall Estrella having something similar. There is a community to the east of verrado called sedella that has homes fitted with 3 car garages and even an impressive RV garage.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:51 PM

494 posts, read 500,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdeclee56 View Post
My husband and I will be retiring to the Phoenix area next summer. In January, we're planning a 12-day visit to tour different areas and determine where the best fit might be.

I find several compelling arguments for living in a community like Estrella Mountain Ranch or Verrado, but I wonder about a few things. First, my husband is a car guy, so we need a house with a minimum 3-car garage so he can build his next project. Is this something that's simply a non-starter in either of those developments? Are there regulations against having the garage door open at any time if one is working inside the garage?

Second, what is the current HOA fee, and is it paid quarterly or monthly? Are there any other fees we need to be aware of?

Last (assuming #1 and #2 pan out), are there any properties with slightly larger lots? I'm talking about 10,000 square feet up to, say, 1/4 acre?

Thanks,
Barbara
#1. Few lots in either community have lots that are >10k sq ft unless you want to build a custom home. Although look for homes built by TW Lewis and perhaps Cachet for larger lots. Try to buy in what I call old Verrado....which starts across the bridge, Verrado way @ Lost Creek. It's just nicer than the garbage being built now. You'll see what I mean.

#2. I tried to check my HOA fee for Verrado, but the site was down, but it's about $150/mo.

#3. I own a home in Verrado and have rented in Estrella. Verrado looks and feels better. Both communities are nice and offer custom home sites. Verrado custom homes are nicer because they have higher design standards. Custom will cost less in Estrella. It's also a pain in the butt to go up and down that hill.

#4. I believe Verrado has an active classic car scene or club...I don't think you'll have any problems building a car in your garage.

This may help. Here are the some Verrado Rules:

1. Restricted Activities. Unless the Board expressly authorizes, and then subject to such
conditions as it may impose, the following activities are prohibited within the Village:
(a) Parking of commercial vehicles or equipment, mobile homes, recreational
vehicles, golf carts, boats and other watercraft, trailers, stored vehicles, or inoperable vehicles in
places other than enclosed garages, or parking of any vehicles in a manner that results in use or
access to any sidewalk being impaired; provided, construction, service, and delivery vehicles
shall be exempt from this provision during daylight hours for such period of time as is
reasonably necessary to provide service or to make a delivery to a Unit or the Common Area,
and such vehicles, equipment, and other items may be parked in a driveway for a period not to
exceed 24 hours as reasonably necessary to allow it to be washed and cleaned;
(b) Raising, breeding, or keeping animals except that a reasonable number of dogs,
cats, or other usual and common household pets may be permitted in a Unit. However, those
pets which are permitted to roam free, or, in the Board's sole discretion, make objectionable
noise, endanger the health or safety of, or constitute a nuisance or inconvenience to the
occupants of other Units shall be removed upon the Board's request. If the pet owner fails to
honor such request, the Board may remove the pet. Dogs shall be kept on a leash or otherwise
confined in a manner acceptable to the Board whenever outside the dwelling. Any person
bringing a pet outside its Unit shall immediately remove any feces deposited on any portion of
Verrado by the pet. The Board may restrict the portions of the Common Area on which pets are
permitted. Pets shall be registered, licensed, and inoculated as required by law;
(c) Any activity that emits foul or obnoxious odors outside the Unit or creates noise
or other conditions that tend to disturb the peace or threaten the safety of the occupants of other
Units;
(d) Any activity that violates local, state, or federal laws or regulations; however, the
Board shall have no obligation to take enforcement action in the event of a violation;
(e) Pursuit of hobbies or other activities that tend to cause an unclean, unhealthy, or
untidy condition to exist outside of enclosed structures on the Unit;
(f) Any noxious or offensive activity which in the reasonable determination of the
Board tends to cause embarrassment, discomfort, annoyance, or nuisance to persons using the
Common Area or to the occupants of other Units;
(g) Outside burning of trash, leaves, debris, or other materials;
(h) Use or discharge of any radio, loudspeaker, horn, whistle, bell, or other sound
device so as to be audible to occupants of other Units, except alarm devices used exclusively for
security purposes;
(i) Use and discharge of firecrackers and other fireworks;
(j) Accumulation of rubbish, trash, or garbage except between regular garbage pick
ups, and then only in approved containers;
(k) Discharge of firearms; provided, the Board shall have no obligation to take action
to prevent or stop such discharge;
(l) On-site storage of fuel, except that a reasonable amount of fuel may be stored on
each Unit for emergency purposes and operation of lawn mowers and similar tools or equipment,
and the Association shall be permitted to store fuel for operation of maintenance vehicles,
generators, and similar equipment. This provision shall not apply to any underground fuel tank
authorized pursuant to Chapter 5;
(m) Any activities which materially disturb or destroy the vegetation, wildlife,
wetlands, or air quality within the Village or which use excessive amounts of water or which
result in unreasonable levels of sound or light pollution;
(n) Conversion of any carport or garage to finished space for use as an apartment or
other integral part of the living area on any Unit without prior approval pursuant to Chapter 5;
(o) Any installation on the outside portions of the Unit, whether such portion is
improved or unimproved of satellite dishes and antennas, except that:
(i) an antenna designed to receive direct broadcast satellite services, including
direct-to-home satellite services, that is one meter or less in diameter;
(ii) an antenna designed to receive video programming services via multipoint
distribution services, including multichannel multipoint distribution services, instructional
television fixed services, and local multipoint distribution services that is one meter or less in
diameter or diagonal measurement; or
(iii) an antenna that is designed to receive television broadcast signals;
(collectively, "Permitted Antennas") shall be permitted on Units, subject to such reasonable
requirements as to location and screening as may be set forth in the Design Guidelines,
consistent with applicable law, to minimize obtrusiveness as viewed from streets and adjacent
property. Founder and/or the Association shall have the right, without obligation, to erect one or
more aerial, satellite dish, or other apparatus for a master antenna, cable, or other communication
system for the benefit of all or a portion of the Village, should any master system or systems be
utilized by the Association and require such exterior apparatus.
(p) Signs that are not owned or maintained by the Association, Assembly, Town, or any
other applicable governmental agencies (including, but not limited to, commercial and similar
signs, as well as for sale, for lease and open house signs) shall not be erected or maintained on
any Unit except:
(i) Signs required by legal proceedings.
(ii) Identification signs for individual residences approved in compliance with the
provisions of Chapter 5 of the Charter; and
(iii) Promotional and advertising signs of builders on any Unit, approved in
compliance with the provisions of Chapter 5 of the Charter.
2. Prohibited Conditions. The following are prohibited at the Village:
(a) Plants, animals, devices, or other things of any sort whose activities or existence
in any way is noxious, dangerous, unsightly, unpleasant, or of a nature as may diminish or
destroy the enjoyment of the Village; and
(b) Structures, equipment, or other items on the exterior portions of a Unit which
have become rusty, dilapidated, or otherwise fallen into disrepair.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:09 PM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
Estella HOA is $92 per month for most homes, it does up for gated but I'm not sure about Custom Homes. The are a couple of custom home areas that might fit your needs. The drive up the Hill is urban legend, for almost everywhere you will go the drive distance from Estrella would be within a few minutes of the drive time from average Verrado address. The main street feel of Verrado is nice but the Lake lifestyle of Estrella is also pretty nice. Both are great communities.

Old 10-10-2017, 08:52 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I'm in Estrella and have a 3 car garage and a 16K sq ft lot in a tract development. All the homes in my subd have 3 car garages and minimum 8 K lots with the cul de sacs and corners much larger. Many of the homes in the development next to us also have 3 car and 8 k min. There's not much for sale and even less for rent, though.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:23 AM

1,225 posts, read 4,920,709 times
We looked in Estrella and thought it would be too isolated for us. We bought a home in Avondale, in Glenarm Farms. It's a small, older development with lots over 27,000 (.6 acre). We have enough room for a single level home with a 2 car garage, a 1600 sq ft detached garage, RV parking, and a huge lawn(flood irrigated). No HOA, so homes range from modest 1970's to gorgeous mini-mansions. Many have large detached workshops or horses. Not sure if something like this would be your cup of tea due to your interest in Verrado and Estrella, but for a car guy, this is heaven. We are also close to a lot of shopping and resturants, and have fairly quick freeway access.
Glenarm Farms is near the northeast corner of Thomas Ave and 107th Ave. Good luck on your search.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM

83 posts, read 80,920 times
Gee, some of this information is reassuring. Thanks everyone for responding. For those living in Verrado: I've heard that water bills can be high because of all the greenery. Has that been true for you, and does it impact your monthly costs in any way other than your water bill? (That is, do you get any interim assessments due to the entire community's having to be watered)?

@Patrick85395: That's awesome. Thank you for copying/pasting all of that. Very helpful.

@Ponderosa: which subdevelopment do you live in at Estrella?

@VFRPilot, thanks for that info. We will check out Glenarm Farms for sure. We're willing to be pretty far out, but not isolated, and not on a dirt road. Cars must be kept clean. Very, very clean. :-)

Old 10-13-2017, 10:03 AM

When you visit, consider using vacation rentals in each area. VRBO.com offers many options and may be less expensive than a hotel stay. Although I live in Goodyear's Palm Valley, I have a strong preference for Verrado relative to Estrella because the place feels better because of the way DMB, the developer, plans their communities. You will pay more for a home in Verrado, but you will get more. As I mentioned, I own a rental there in a great location close within walking distance to Main Street. I would live there now if Mrs. Patrick85395 and I didn't love our current home so much (which is on a large lot). Our long-term plan is to settle in our Verrado home.

Don't get me wrong, Estrella is nice with its big starry skies. When I rented there, I can remember laying on my back in the yard to look at the universe. I can also remember (and I was staying on the backside of Estrella) the dread of going down the hill to get to the freeway. My average time was about 14 minutes to get to I-10.

Given your lot size/garage requirements, look at TW Lewis Homes (or now David Weekley) (side note: I think TW Lewis-built homes are nicer and offer more detail) or custom is where you should be looking. Those homes have a wide and deep footprint and tend to be on larger lots. You'll probably get a larger lot in Estrella.

As I think about it, you can also consider TW Lewis homes built in Goodyear's Palm Valley. Look near Litchfied Road and Virginia (https://www.google.com/maps/@33.4754.../data=!3m1!1e3) and the neighborhood around 140th Ave, 140th Drive, Roanoke, and 141st Lane

or

A Palm Valley gated community near West Monte Vista and W Encanto Blvd just off North Pebblecreek Parkway (which is the North Side of Estrella Prkwy north of I10). Here's a link to the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+...4d-112.3962881

The benefit to Palm Valley is convenience to everything: I-10, shopping, entertainment.

Old 10-13-2017, 10:22 AM

Oh, the Verrado water issue. That's important. My home there sitting on a roughly 8000 sq ft lot, with a pool, 3 BR/2 bath, 2020 sq feet, small grass patch out front, no kids, 2 adults...Bill ran about 100+/month in the summer with conservative use. Summer bills are higher probably becuase of the pool evaporation is greater. It used to be double that before the Verrado advcoates (DMB and the Verrado Community) worked to improve the situation.

By contrast, where I live, 1/3 acre landscaped lot, use water like it's free, pool....bill is about $75/month. I suspect Estrella would be about the same.

Old 10-14-2017, 11:58 AM

567 posts, read 787,294 times
I can't address your question, but as a former Chicagoan and long-time Phoenix resident (since '73) and as a landlord (AZ/CA), I wanted to address something else.

Verrado is advertised as having a small-town feel. OK, maybe for a block or two, but it was more an eyesore than anything else. It has a mishmash of architectural designs in a small area. Just didn't make sense to me. I went to an open house. The home was long and narrow. It was on a bit of an elevation, and even the stairs from the street to the entrance weren't even.

Estrella is much farther out, but with a lovely lake and swimming pool, it's a beautiful, relaxing area. Architectually, it's all on one page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area