Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 10:50 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,748,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I looked. I was here shorter than I thought. I arrived early July 18th and left late on 20th. It was 103, 102, 103, and 103. The overnight lows were in the low 80's. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ph...weather/346935

It definitely felt hotter when I was here in July than the mid to upper 90's but not blazing hot. So "100 degrees at midnight" as someone else suggested was inaccurate. In fact, the hottest temp in July, 2017 was 107 (per my link) and the lows were in the low to mid 80's all month long.
No it's accurate, we do see nights where it's still 100 degrees at midnight, especially on the hottest days when it's 115+. Midnight is only 4 hours after sunset in the summer, so if the high is 118 it's likely going to be 100 until past midnight. The low temperature your seeing on the link occurs just before sunrise, which is about 5am in June. This is the time us outdoorsy types are usually on the trails, it's not at all uncommon to see a busy parking lot at 5am at phoenix mountain preserve or south mountain.

As far as I know we've never had a night where the low was 100 and the low you experience depends to some extent where you live, what you see on the news and likely the link you posted is at the airport, which just so happens to be one of the hottest spots in the valley thanks to the UHI. The burbs can be 10 degrees lower int he summer, not a massive difference but noticeable if you're driving around with the windows down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 11:15 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
No it's accurate, we do see nights where it's still 100 degrees at midnight, especially on the hottest days when it's 115+. Midnight is only 4 hours after sunset in the summer, so if the high is 118 it's likely going to be 100 until past midnight. The low temperature your seeing on the link occurs just before sunrise, which is about 5am in June. This is the time us outdoorsy types are usually on the trails, it's not at all uncommon to see a busy parking lot at 5am at phoenix mountain preserve or south mountain.

As far as I know we've never had a night where the low was 100 and the low you experience depends to some extent where you live, what you see on the news and likely the link you posted is at the airport, which just so happens to be one of the hottest spots in the valley thanks to the UHI. The burbs can be 10 degrees lower int he summer, not a massive difference but noticeable if you're driving around with the windows down.
I have no doubt there are several 100 degree temps at midnight when it's 115 degrees. But the other person said "0% days" like the 1st 15 in October (Oct is hotter than normal). Also, he said it was common to be 100 degrees at midnight. Unless July of 2017 was abnormally cool, I would be shocked if most of the burbs experienced "100 degree midnight temps" any day during July of 2017 when the highest temp for the entire month was 107 degrees; even less in the outer burbs. And a lot of the days, the high temps barely broke 100 degrees. That was my point.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:33 AM

39,107 posts, read 51,328,001 times
Quote:
I have no doubt there are several 100 degree temps at midnight when it's 115 degrees. But the other person said "0% days" like the 1st 15 in October (Oct is hotter than normal). Also, he said it was common to be 100 degrees at midnight. Unless July of 2017 was abnormally cool, I would be shocked if most of the burbs experienced "100 degree midnight temps" any day during July of 2017 when the highest temp for the entire month was 107 degrees; even less in the outer burbs. And a lot of the days, the high temps barely broke 100 degrees. That was my point.
OK, but the real point is that there are NO days like October in July and August. It is a totally different world weather-wise. Whether it is 100 or 90 at midnight really doesn't matter. It's ugly, just ugly and few enjoy those months of the year. Last night's low, was the lowest since mid-May, for illustration.

Old 10-22-2017, 11:38 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
What do you mean the highest temp for the month was 107°?!? Sky Harbor officially had a high of 118° on the 7th this July! And had 8 total days with highs 110 or higher:

118° on 7th
113° on 8th
112° on 1st and 5th
111° on 4th and 6th
110° on 2nd and 27th

Not to mention the low of 95° on the 8th

And this July was about 1/2 a degree to 1 degree below normal for the month as a whole

Old 10-22-2017, 01:43 PM

812 posts, read 797,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OK, but the real point is that there are NO days like October in July and August. It is a totally different world weather-wise.
Right! The other thing that is different in October is the angle and thus intensity of, the sun. The sun doesn't melt your skin off your body at 90 degrees in Oct. the way it does in July or August.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:46 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,208,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
OK, but the real point is that there are NO days like October in July and August. It is a totally different world weather-wise. Whether it is 100 or 90 at midnight really doesn't matter. It's ugly, just ugly and few enjoy those months of the year. Last night's low, was the lowest since mid-May, for illustration.
Makes sense ^^. Again, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
What do you mean the highest temp for the month was 107°?!? Sky Harbor officially had a high of 118° on the 7th this July! And had 8 total days with highs 110 or higher:

118° on 7th
113° on 8th
112° on 1st and 5th
111° on 4th and 6th
110° on 2nd and 27th

And this July was about 1/2 a degree to 1 degree below normal for the month as a whole
Oops. When my eyes scrolled up towards the beginning of the month, I was was staring at the average row. My bad.

Old 10-22-2017, 06:34 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,879,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post

118° on 7th
113° on 8th
112° on 1st and 5th
111° on 4th and 6th
110° on 2nd and 27th

And the 118 degrees recorded at Sky Harbor is not what will experience when walking across a Frys parking lot or walking down Thomas Rd. The temperature you experience 4' above a paved surface, of which Phoenix has an unusually high amount of, is much higher. I didn't realize how much pavement Phoenix had until I moved to Kansas City for three years.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:24 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,254,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
Well the mid to high 90's this time of year are record setting, although the last 2 years it is starting to feel like a trend.

4th of July though Labor day is usually the worst, this is when even the mornings are not that great due to humidity. June has some very hot days, but they are dry so I can deal with it.
What? Up until tomorrow the records for Oct so far are all 100+. Monday is projected to be a high of 99 so we may tie the record (100 set in 2003) and Tuesday's projection is 98 so we may set a new record (current is 96). The average high for Oct is 89 with the average low at 65. The current running average high is at 93 and low at 68 with the full month projections will keep the average high at 93 and the average low at 66 (Sept finished off slightly below average). For the rest of the month we will be 5-15 degrees lower than the records, much like the first 2/3 of the month have been. We are warmer than average, consistent with the last few years, but other than possibly the next couple days it is certainly not record setting.

This year's monsoon season was mostly uneventful, 62nd wettest of 122, with the last recorded rainfall so far this year happening on Aug 23rd so it can be expected to have temps running on the higher end of the averages. OP, if you like this temp in Oct then you are in luck because this is about how it always is. Some years when we get more rain it is a little cooler, and a little more humid to go with it, but it is rarely very rainy Sept/Oct so this is about it for Oct.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,652,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
What? Up until tomorrow the records for Oct so far are all 100+. Monday is projected to be a high of 99 so we may tie the record (100 set in 2003) and Tuesday's projection is 98 so we may set a new record (current is 96). The average high for Oct is 89 with the average low at 65. The current running average high is at 93 and low at 68 with the full month projections will keep the average high at 93 and the average low at 66 (Sept finished off slightly below average). For the rest of the month we will be 5-15 degrees lower than the records, much like the first 2/3 of the month have been. We are warmer than average, consistent with the last few years, but other than possibly the next couple days it is certainly not record setting.

This year's monsoon season was mostly uneventful, 62nd wettest of 122, with the last recorded rainfall so far this year happening on Aug 23rd so it can be expected to have temps running on the higher end of the averages. OP, if you like this temp in Oct then you are in luck because this is about how it always is. Some years when we get more rain it is a little cooler, and a little more humid to go with it, but it is rarely very rainy Sept/Oct so this is about it for Oct.
October 2000 was a much different story, first 10 days of the month were still hot, but then in the middle of the month, it turned unseasonably cold with highs in the 60s in the last third of the month

Old 10-23-2017, 05:03 PM

6,783 posts, read 5,089,024 times
Quote:
I was here in mid June for a 10 days. It was hot but child's-play.

Exactly what days in June? Airport temps spanned from a low of 69 on the 13th, to a high of 119 on the 20th. The exact days will make a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area