Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 05:23 PM

9 posts, read 13,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Exactly what days in June? Airport temps spanned from a low of 69 on the 13th, to a high of 119 on the 20th. The exact days will make a difference.
I definitely wouldn't call 119 degrees "child's play" either. It is absolutely not livable without A/C at that temperature. Going from your A/C house to A/C car, store, office, etc really quickly is OK, but try walking for more than 5 minutes in direct sunlight at that temperature and you'll change your mind . The end of June was no joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2017, 05:43 PM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxz310 View Post
I definitely wouldn't call 119 degrees "child's play" either. It is absolutely not livable without A/C at that temperature.

I was at the office that day and stepped outside to feel the heat. It was very unpleasant to me, even in the shade for only a few minutes. I'm assuming the OP was not here that day?

Old 10-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,610,214 times
Quote:
I was at the office that day and stepped outside to feel the heat. It was very unpleasant to me, even in the shade for only a few minutes. I'm assuming the OP was not here that day?
I work outside, and that three day period from the 19th to the 21st was awful, especially at the 4pm hour, 110° is nothing compared to those three days!

Old 10-23-2017, 08:34 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alxz310 View Post
I definitely wouldn't call 119 degrees "child's play" either. It is absolutely not livable without A/C at that temperature. Going from your A/C house to A/C car, store, office, etc really quickly is OK, but try walking for more than 5 minutes in direct sunlight at that temperature and you'll change your mind . The end of June was no joke.
I don’t know anyone who likes those days, just like the 0 or below days when I lived up north, we just get through them.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I work outside, and that three day period from the 19th to the 21st was awful, especially at the 4pm hour, 110° is nothing compared to those three days!
My hat's off to you. I couldn't do it!

Old 10-24-2017, 04:59 AM

9,744 posts, read 11,165,585 times
Quote:
Exactly what days in June? Airport temps spanned from a low of 69 on the 13th, to a high of 119 on the 20th. The exact days will make a difference.
I looked at my email confirmation of the booking. I arrived from MSP to PHX on May 30th and returned to MSP on June the 11th. I was here for my daughter graduation from dental school. I helped her pack and move from the house that she rented too as well as entertained friends and relatives. I had a suit and tie on twice (I felt that), and was in and out of hot cars constantly.

From https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ph...weather/346935
May 30th101/77
May 29th 101/76
June 1st 99/78
June 2nd 102/75
June 3rd 107/78
June 4th 107/82
June 5th 107/83
June 6th 107/84
June 7th 106/82
June 8th 105/78
June 9th 106/78
June 10th 102/78
June 11th 101/76

It felt hotter in early early June, 2017 than this October. But in my mind, subjectively speaking, it didn't feel like "107". I have been to Clearwater, Florida in the summers many times back in the day when I worked for Honeywell. The rains came in and then the sun came out. The humidity skyrocketed and I would literally soak-up my shirt with sweat. It was extremely uncomfortable and I had to have a towel to wipe my face off every 3-4 minutes as sweat would bead and roll off my face. So I do sweat a lot more in comparison to others. Certainly, I sweat in AZ a lot too as I have to take in a lot of liquids. But at 15 percent humidity, it evaporates fast and I personally feel pretty darn good and the sweat doesn't build at all. Cut, paste, repeat for all of my 5 brothers. It must be a genetic thing... My wife on the other hand struggles in the same exact trips in the same temps/humidity. So maybe part of my ability to cope is because I evaporate my sweat more in comparison to others http://www.explorit.org/news/keepin-...ience-of-sweat . She on the other hand, doesn't mind the FL humidity as much as I do and would prefer to be living year round in FL versus AZ. Hence, your mileage may vary. Hers certainly does. So as I said, for the above weather, it was child's play for ME. Maybe not you. Additionally, I enjoyed the mornings and evenings.

Years ago in July, I felt the furnace on the tar streets in Vegas. I remember it was 115 degrees and it was HOT! I realize that there are times of the year in PHX that are downright uncomfortable. My point of this thread was for me to be able to quantify through opinions of others as to how many days are disturbingly hot. Because for me, the 1st 11 days of June didn't qualify as bad. Rather, vary warm and doable. Especially in the shade.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 10-24-2017 at 05:19 AM..

Old 10-24-2017, 08:27 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I looked at my email confirmation of the booking. I arrived from MSP to PHX on May 30th and returned to MSP on June the 11th. I was here for my daughter graduation from dental school. I helped her pack and move from the house that she rented too as well as entertained friends and relatives. I had a suit and tie on twice (I felt that), and was in and out of hot cars constantly.

May 30th101/77
May 29th 101/76
June 1st 99/78
June 2nd 102/75
June 3rd 107/78
June 4th 107/82
June 5th 107/83
June 6th 107/84
June 7th 106/82
June 8th 105/78
June 9th 106/78
June 10th 102/78
June 11th 101/76

It felt hotter in early early June, 2017 than this October. But in my mind, subjectively speaking, it didn't feel like "107". I have been to Clearwater, Florida in the summers many times back in the day when I worked for Honeywell. The rains came in and then the sun came out. The humidity skyrocketed and I would literally soak-up my shirt with sweat. It was extremely uncomfortable and I had to have a towel to wipe my face off every 3-4 minutes as sweat would bead and roll off my face. So I do sweat a lot more in comparison to others. Certainly, I sweat in AZ a lot too as I have to take in a lot of liquids. But at 15 percent humidity, it evaporates fast and I personally feel pretty darn good and the sweat doesn't build at all. Cut, paste, repeat for all of my 5 brothers. It must be a genetic thing... My wife on the other hand struggles in the same exact trips in the same temps/humidity. So maybe part of my ability to cope is because I evaporate my sweat more in comparison to others Keepin' it cool: the science of sweat — Explorit Science Center . She on the other hand, doesn't mind the FL humidity as much as I do and would prefer to be living year round in FL versus AZ. Hence, your mileage may vary. Hers certainly does. So as I said, for the above weather, it was child's play for ME. Maybe not you. Additionally, I enjoyed the mornings and evenings.

Years ago in July, I felt the furnace on the tar streets in Vegas. I remember it was 115 degrees and it was HOT! I realize that there are times of the year in PHX that are downright uncomfortable. My point of this thread was for me to be able to quantify through opinions of others as to how many days are disturbingly hot. Because for me, the 1st 11 days of June didn't qualify as bad. Rather, vary warm and doable. Especially in the shade.

June 15-Sept 15 are the worst of summer here. So if you could leave for the months of July & August that would be perfect. You'd only have to deal with the heat for a short time on both ends while leaving through the worst of it. By Sept the days are getting shorter and the nights are starting to cool off just like you encountered this year. This would give you a few weeks of the hot,dry heat in June and your wife a few weeks of humidity in Sept. If you could stretch it to 3 months ( mid June-mid Sept) that would be ideal.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:18 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,302,771 times
Quote:

May 30th101/77
May 29th 101/76
June 1st 99/78
June 2nd 102/75
June 3rd 107/78
June 4th 107/82
June 5th 107/83
June 6th 107/84
June 7th 106/82
June 8th 105/78
June 9th 106/78
June 10th 102/78
June 11th 101/76

It felt hotter in early early June, 2017 than this October. But in my mind, subjectively speaking, it didn't feel like "107". I have been to Clearwater, Florida in the summers many times back in the day when I worked for Honeywell. The rains came in and then the sun came out. The humidity skyrocketed and I would literally soak-up my shirt with sweat. It was extremely uncomfortable and I had to have a towel to wipe my face off every 3-4 minutes as sweat would bead and roll off my face. So I do sweat a lot more in comparison to others. Certainly, I sweat in AZ a lot too as I have to take in a lot of liquids. But at 15 percent humidity, it evaporates fast and I personally feel pretty darn good and the sweat doesn't build at all. Cut, paste, repeat for all of my 5 brothers. It must be a genetic thing... My wife on the other hand struggles in the same exact trips in the same temps/humidity. So maybe part of my ability to cope is because I evaporate my sweat more in comparison to others Keepin' it cool: the science of sweat — Explorit Science Center . She on the other hand, doesn't mind the FL humidity as much as I do and would prefer to be living year round in FL versus AZ. Hence, your mileage may vary. Hers certainly does. So as I said, for the above weather, it was child's play for ME. Maybe not you. Additionally, I enjoyed the mornings and evenings.

I was in Metro Phoenix from Aug 15-22 when the highs were from 102 to 106 (108 on my last day when I left mid morning). No rain. The temps may have been a little cooler than usual, but I found them totally fine..especially up until about 2 and after 6 or so.....

Seems the thing that gets old is the months on end (half of May, June, July, Aug, and half of Sept) of hot weather. If I move permanently, which is a strong possibility after I spend three of four months there this winter, at this point, I do plan on being gone July and August or thereabouts. Or the other alternative would just be to take several week or two long jaunts to others areas of the country or World....(including my home state up North,etc....)

I would think doing so would make the whole permanent living experience much more tolerable. I guess I will feel my way along as I go....

Old 10-24-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
I realize that there are times of the year in PHX that are downright uncomfortable. My point of this thread was for me to be able to quantify through opinions of others as to how many days are disturbingly hot. Because for me, the 1st 11 days of June didn't qualify as bad. Rather, vary warm and doable. Especially in the shade.
Yes, I'd agree. Early June is the last of the nice morning/evening weather. We sit outside for coffee in the morning, and have dinner on the patio, up through roughly the middle of June. After that it's mostly inside until after Labor Day. At 8-9pm during the summer it's very frequently still ~100F. During that really hot time in June it was still 105F one evening before we went to bed.

I agree completely with Gixxer's comment. If you can be out of town during Jun15-Sep15 you would have it made. That is the worst period.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:03 AM

2,379 posts, read 2,712,573 times
Quote:
Normally from May to late October, I'm in MN. This year we came early. I've been enjoying these 90-98 degrees days for the past couple of weeks. The evenings and mornings have been wonderful and I don't mind being in the sun at 98 degrees. IMHO, it's child's play specifically because of the low humidity. I despise the FL humidity even if it is 85 degrees.

I'm tying to figure out how bad summers would be here. My minds wandering; maybe I should sell my MN home and only rent something farther north for a month or two. Maintaining two places is getting old.

So my question is, what percentage of days during the summer feel like these last couple of weeks? Subjectively speaking, does it get a lot worse or just a little worse. I could imagine that 6 months of 98 degrees and low humidity would get wearing. But I suspect if I broke it up by leaving in the worst month or two would be a great compromise. Your thoughts?

My thoughts are that given everything we know both about the climate trends in general and about Phoenix's reluctance to tackle any serious issues, things will only get worse in the years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area