Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 10:41 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Tempe and central Phoenix to name two places.
Mill Ave and quality residences? Where? The surrounding area is just dumpy college rentals and condos going for Scottsdale prices and beyond. The walkable areas of central Phoenix are trending to a higher price per sq ft than the Old Town area as well. I’m failing to see “walkability and quality residences for a better value”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 11:27 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Mill Ave and quality residences? Where? The surrounding area is just dumpy college rentals and condos going for Scottsdale prices and beyond. The walkable areas of central Phoenix are trending to a higher price per sq ft than the Old Town area as well. I’m failing to see “walkability and quality residences for a better value”.
Did I mention anything about Mill Avenue?

There are walkable little enclaves south and west of the Mill district containing vintage homes which I'm sure are priced lower than most anything in Scottsdale.

Newer apartments and condominiums on University, Terrace and Apache might cater more to college students but they're not dumpy college rentals.

Prices in central Phoenix are trending higher depending on location but there are walkable neighborhoods in midtown cheaper than oldtown.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Did I mention anything about Mill Avenue?

There are walkable little enclaves south and west of the Mill district containing vintage homes which I'm sure are priced lower than most anything in Scottsdale.

Newer apartments and condominiums on University, Terrace and Apache might cater more to college students but they're not dumpy college rentals.

Prices in central Phoenix are trending higher depending on location but there are walkable neighborhoods in midtown cheaper than oldtown.
Mill is the only walkable area in Tempe, so yes, you did. Maybe you're referring to Maple/Ash. Unless you count Cartel and Casey Moore's their walkability is to Mill and those vintage houses are quite expensive.

Where in midtown? Homes in midtown are $400k plus for smaller, old houses.

I don't think you've seen prices recently because your point is simply inaccurate.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:51 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:

That part of Tempe is geared for college students, no matter how you look at it. Even some of the quaint older homes in the Maple/Ash neighborhood are rentals where college kids live. Mill Avenue is within close proximity, and it's always busy at night, especially Fridays & weekends. I highly doubt a retired couple would want to live in that kind of environment regardless if it's cheaper than somewhere like Scottsdale.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:44 PM

179 posts, read 296,522 times
Thank you again everyone for lots of great info. We are renting a house in Dell Webb West in February to look around the area. I am really not familiar with western Phoenix at all other than that's where my family recently moved to for a job (Surprise) from East Coast. They are still relatively young and prime working age so walkability etc is not that important to them like it is for us. My husband likes to walk everywhere - stores, doctor's offices, post office, bank, etc. I also walk, but not as often as him.

Arcadia sounds interesting for sure and we will certainly check it out as well as the general area.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:11 AM

Sorry if this sounds like a strange question,but do scorpions hang out on hanging vegetation on the patio or on walls of homes? I'm looking at this house and it looks very nice with a type of kitchen I can live with. The outside courtyard seems very nice too with the vegetation, but not sure about sitting out there if scorpions are problem. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-09785#photo22

Old 12-20-2017, 10:33 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasu View Post
Sorry if this sounds like a strange question,but do scorpions hang out on hanging vegetation on the patio or on walls of homes? I'm looking at this house and it looks very nice with a type of kitchen I can live with. The outside courtyard seems very nice too with the vegetation, but not sure about sitting out there if scorpions are problem. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-09785#photo22
They sure can, but seem to prefer the sides of houses, tree bark, and cinder block walls. Where there are bugs to eat, there will be scorpions.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:09 AM

Quote:
I have nothing factual to back this up with, bud I’d bet that scorpions are of little concern in Arcadia that’s widely established.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:24 AM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Quote:
If there are scorpions in the area, yes they will be living in the vegetation. After we bought our (Gilbert) house and discovered how bad the infestation was, I quickly ripped out all of the vegetation that was touching/close to the house. I wouldn't rely on any general advice with respect to zip codes or neighborhoods. The houses on one block can be fine but the houses a block or two away can have scorpions.

My best advice is to do your house hunting in the summer and do a night time check with a black light. Or better yet hire someone from a pest control outfit who knows how to find scorpions, and meet them to do an after-dark check. Looking this time of year is pointless because scorpions are not active.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:36 PM

I was afraid of this. Thank you. Found an interesting map of scorpion activity by one pest company. https://responsiblepestcontrol.net/p...pion-map-2016/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area