Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 03:12 PM

169 posts, read 281,102 times

Advertisements

Anyone with experience able to answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 03:20 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
Anyone with experience able to answer?
I thought it was at least 3 months, I could be wrong, I just went with Century Link, instead of waiting. I eventually ended up moving out of state, but planned on going back to Cox once my year with Century Link was up.

I understand why the companies do this, but when I was living in North Carolina (the Triangle) I had Time Warner (now Spectrum) and canceled my internet one day as my 12 months were up and literally called back the next day and was able to get the new customer discounts. I'm not sure if they screwed up and it was just a fluke or "one off", but I wasn't complaining!

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-16-2017 at 04:10 PM..

Old 11-17-2017, 03:52 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Call and tell them you want to cancel. They will send you to their retention department and ask why. Tell them the price is too high and they will normally offer the same or better rates that new customers get.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:15 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Call and tell them you want to cancel. They will send you to their retention department and ask why. Tell them the price is too high and they will normally offer the same or better rates that new customers get.
I tried that and it didn't work. I'm not saying it won't for the OP, but it seems nowadays that more and more companies could care less about customer loyalty and retention.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:51 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Last time I had Cox, i told them I wanted to cancel because the price was too high and the service was so bad. They just said "Okay." There was no working to get me to stay.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:48 PM

169 posts, read 281,102 times
I have no problem with Cox's service. The problem is they keep raising the price without warning at random times. I don't watch TV and don't have a landline so I'm paying $85 a month just for internet. It's ridiculous. Century Link can offer the same speed internet for $30 a month so I'm going to switch over for a few months at least. Only reason I asked the question in the OP is in case I end up switching back to Cox. I've heard some horror stories about Century Link regarding patchy service and throttling speeds, although this may depend on what part of the valley you're in.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:04 PM

770 posts, read 836,740 times
Been with Cox since it was dimension cable and called to cancel my cable because of prices and they told me to pound sand so I cut the cord. Tried again on my internet because the price is now out of control and same thing. They know that they have you by the nuts and they don't care anymore.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:19 PM

308 posts, read 366,814 times
If you want to cancel Cox, or any part of it, be prepared for a fight to tell them "thanks, but no thanks". I had to accuse them of harassment to finally "be permitted" to cancel my cable TV.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:34 AM

586 posts, read 540,975 times
I cancel my internet every Apr and hook it up again in Nov, I have done this for 7 years without any hassle for either. Have paid the new rate of $40 for years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
If you want to cancel Cox, or any part of it, be prepared for a fight to tell them "thanks, but no thanks". I had to accuse them of harassment to finally "be permitted" to cancel my cable TV.

Old 11-18-2017, 12:32 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomenon View Post
I have no problem with Cox's service. The problem is they keep raising the price without warning at random times. I don't watch TV and don't have a landline so I'm paying $85 a month just for internet. It's ridiculous. Century Link can offer the same speed internet for $30 a month so I'm going to switch over for a few months at least. Only reason I asked the question in the OP is in case I end up switching back to Cox. I've heard some horror stories about Century Link regarding patchy service and throttling speeds, although this may depend on what part of the valley you're in.
I tried to negotiate with Cox and got nowhere so I went with century link and reduced my bill from 65 to 45,doubled my internet speed and my price is locked for life. I tried to do the same for my mom but century link does not have the same infrastructure in her area(only 4 miles away from me)so she cannot get the same deal as me.
So cox knows that in some areas they have a monopoly and are happy squeezing the people by raising prices often, knowing that some of these people have almost no other option.
If you go to the centurylink website and put in your address it will tell you what is available in your area, if there is no option for Centurylink TV then they have limited infrastructure in that area which still may work for internet only, only at a more limited speed.If you do not like it cox will welcome you back as a new customer in a month or 2, I have gotten several letters, offers to come back over the last couple months but that will not happen.

Last edited by autism360; 11-18-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area