Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 06:15 PM

38 posts, read 27,395 times

Advertisements

So this is my first Christmas in Phoenix. I’ve been here for six months and while overall I’m loving life in AZ so far, I have to admit, it hasn’t felt much like Christmas with the sunshine, palm trees, and mild temps. For those of you who moved here from the east coast, did you have a similar experience your first Christmas in the valley? If so, how long did it take you to adjust? I have to admit, I’m feeling a bit homesick for the first time since moving here in June. ☹
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 06:31 PM

700 posts, read 925,192 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/53701699-post55.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilmaWildcat View Post
The real Christmas had palm trees, shrubs, rugged hills; rocks; sand; dry air; clear black, starry nights and a mild, sunny daytime temperature with crisp nights that sometimes brought a dusting of snow. The Arizona deserts are the perfect place for a real Christmas. Can't tell you how many times driving up the Catalina Highway in the mountains above Tucson that it reminded me of the hills of Judea. Listen to the wise people and relive the story and enjoy.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:55 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,240,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaz2018 View Post
So this is my first Christmas in Phoenix. I’ve been here for six months and while overall I’m loving life in AZ so far, I have to admit, it hasn’t felt much like Christmas with the sunshine, palm trees, and mild temps. For those of you who moved here from the east coast, did you have a similar experience your first Christmas in the valley? If so, how long did it take you to adjust? I have to admit, I’m feeling a bit homesick for the first time since moving here in June. ☹

Yes it feels strange. Our first Christmas here too.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:42 PM

566 posts, read 578,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaz2018 View Post

This was ours as well. It does feel a bit weird but we enjoyed taking a nice long stroll outside which we could never do back East. And our neighborhood is like off the chain with the Christmas lights and decorations. We had 12 dancing Santas last night, a pregnant donkey, and tons of other amazing houses. I love it here so much at Christmas, I pretty much don't mine that it feels different. We also had our kids do a polar bear jump into our freezing swimming pool. We're creating new traditions. I'm happy.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:36 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,766,495 times
What feels strange? Is it just the fact that it’s not freezing outside or that there isn’t any snow? My family and friends back east we’re all grumpy about not having a white Christmas this year, so for what that’s worth it’s pretty inconsistent to have a white Christmas almost anywhere now. As for the weather, hang on cause we’re about to have our coldest temps in over nearly a year. Low 30s at night in town and a high of 53 this week... that’s cold enough for me but if you’re still not feeling it I suggest a few days in Flag, it’s a winter wonderland right now.

Best of luck, I’ve been here a long time now and we do occasionally go back East for Christmas, we were there last year where we also had a brown Christmas without any snow. I was itching to come home, frigid walks after big meals just aren’t the same as enjoying a warm afternoon hike in one of our local preserves. We also enjoy the many outdoorsy Christmas events here far more than in the North. Be it zoo lights, ice skating, luminaries at DBG or the princess Christmas carnival. There’s so much to see....

Old 12-26-2018, 07:37 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,240,643 times
[quote=locolife;53978484]What feels strange? Is it just the fact that it’s not freezing outside or that there isn’t any snow? My family and friends back east we’re all grumpy about not having a white Christmas this year, so for what that’s worth it’s pretty inconsistent to have a white Christmas almost anywhere now. As for the weather, hang on cause we’re about to have our coldest temps in over nearly a year. Low 30s at night in town and a high of 53 this week... that’s cold enough for me but if you’re still not feeling it I suggest a few days in Flag, it’s a winter wonderland right now.

Best of luck, I’ve been here a long time now and we do occasionally go back East for Christmas, we were there last year where we also had a brown Christmas without any snow. I was itching to come home, frigid walks after big meals just aren’t the same as enjoying a warm afternoon hike in one of our local preserves. We also enjoy the many outdoorsy Christmas events here far more than in the North. Be it zoo lights, ice skating, luminaries at DBG or the princess Christmas carnival. There’s so much to see....[/QUOTE

Learning to adjust to a completely different lifestyle is often strange at times, especially when the flavour of holidays is completely different. I don’t doubt it will feel less strange next Christmas since we so enjoyed this one

Old 12-26-2018, 07:50 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,348,310 times
:::shrug::: Not every place has cold weather and snow for the holidays. Quite a few places in the world do not, actually, considering that it is currently summer in the southern hemisphere of the planet. If you want a Norman Rockwell painting for a holiday, you have moved to the wrong place.

Last edited by ElleTea; 12-26-2018 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-26-2018, 08:03 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,638,875 times
Warm to hot Christmas seasons are a fact of life in Arizona. "White Christmas" was a movie for people which live in non-desert climes, and is a silly thing to expect when coming to Arizona and other warmer climate states.

Longtime Arizonans understand what this time of year is usually like, and we don't expect "white Christmases". In fact, we rarely receive snow down in the lower elevations. It's not what happens very often, if at all.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:16 AM

1,216 posts, read 1,919,271 times
I can name the one thing that made my transition easier. Tamales.

Old 12-26-2018, 08:28 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,766,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
I can name the one thing that made my transition easier. Tamales.
Agreed, no idea how I went so long without tamales in my life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area