Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 07:00 AM

39,126 posts, read 51,407,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
You just described what is happening. Is there some way to bypass the cold cycles?
What you are experiencing is normal. The AC auto-reverses to cool mode so that it can put hot refrigerant through the outdoor coil to melt ice that has built up on it. One of the reasons you get the frost and the defrost cycles is from cranking the heat up when you get up in the morning resulting in a long cycle time that builds ice on the outdoor coil. If you keep it more constant, it is not as frequent.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 12-28-2017 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 07:04 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,938,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
If you have a heat pump, they have a defrost cycle that does blow cold air for periods of time before going back to the warm air. They are WAY less effective on mornings like we've been having than a good old basic gas furnace that can take the edge off quickly and allow you to shut it off until the next morning on days like this.
this is exact;y what is going on in your case..
If you have a digital thermostat, set it to come on a few hours before you get up, so its more comfy once you are up and awake; there is no other way get heat out of a heat pump "faster"..thats why they dont use these much in real cold locations..

Old 12-28-2017, 07:16 AM

7,330 posts, read 12,402,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
this is exact;y what is going on in your case..
If you have a digital thermostat, set it to come on a few hours before you get up, so its more comfy once you are up and awake; there is no other way get heat out of a heat pump "faster"..thats why they dont use these much in real cold locations..
In some mixed climates heat pumps are usually equipped with an auxiliary heating source, which should energize during these defrost cycles and are often required by code in such areas. Our local codes don't require auxilary heat for heat pump installations, probably because it does not get cold enough for it to be worthwhile.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 AM

yeah, I forgot about that; I know a few friends of mine in illinois had heat pump systems, and they had the aux heating source on their systems...never understood why you would bother with a heat pump in areas that went to -20 in the winter, but to each their own I guess..

Old 12-28-2017, 08:51 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,748,651 times
So it sounds like the only thing I can do is let it go through the defrost cycle? Is there a way to prevent the defrost cycle from happening during the chilly hours?

Old 12-28-2017, 09:00 AM

nope, thats how a heat pump works; as I said before, get a digital/smart thermostat, and set it up so its at the temperature you want when you want it...

Old 12-28-2017, 03:24 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,526,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What you are experiencing is normal. The AC auto-reverses to cool mode so that it can put hot refrigerant through the outdoor coil to melt ice that has built up on it. One of the reasons you get the frost and the defrost cycles is from cranking the heat up when you get up in the morning resulting in a long cycle time that builds ice on the outdoor coil. If you keep it more constant, it is not as frequent.

Thanks for the detailed explanation. I can always count on you for that. I remember one of our AC guys telling us not to turn it up too high in the morning. It did help. The unit was right outside my bedroom window, and that defrost cycle was always really noisy.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:53 PM

9,603 posts, read 31,770,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Great info, Ponderosa . . . I dread mine on cold mornings.

Possibly a name change from Heat Pump to Cold Pump is in order.

Old 12-28-2017, 11:18 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,641,051 times
Try a space heater in the bedroom and whatever other room you use most in the morning. You can set it on a timer, it will heat up the room you want and be a lot less expensive than the whole house heater.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,748,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Try a space heater in the bedroom and whatever other room you use most in the morning. You can set it on a timer, it will heat up the room you want and be a lot less expensive than the whole house heater.
My wife and I are currently exploring this option. It is probably the best option at this point unless our heating unit suddenly stops wimping out in cooler temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: