Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 05:29 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,774,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
How the heck is that possible?

I try to hike every weekend (when its not blazing hot out) and only managed 400 miles last year. Granted 95% of that is vertical, but still.

And when are the parks gonna ban dogs like they FINALLY did on Camelback? I'm sick of seeing dog crap, or dog crap bags left all over by lazy dog owners. And they rarely heed the signs that clearly state dogs need to be kept on leashes.
Mountain biking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Look at it how you will...after a road trip last year to Durango, up to Silverton and Ouray and back through Telluride to get home, driving through Flagstaff didn't quite hold the awe that it once did driving past the Peaks. Not saying they aren't a welcome sight when visiting Flagstaff...and going up the backside of Mt. Elden is fun...but the Million Dollar Highway was breathtaking.
Don’t go to the Alps then the whole country will lose is awe for you.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:05 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,205,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I don't understand your point...or are we just playing the "last word" game now?

Old 01-03-2018, 09:18 PM

269 posts, read 218,697 times
So correct...."White Tank Hills" just doesn't sound right

Old 01-03-2018, 09:45 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,922,533 times
Interesting you said that, I am from So-Cal, and for the new years went to check out Flagstaff, and I was surprised by the fact that the 'forest' wasn't as forested as I assumed. I was excited thinking it was going to be like nor-cal, but its the same forest we have here.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I don't understand your point...or are we just playing the "last word" game now?
You said after visiting Colorado the awe of Flagstaff just wasn’t there anymore, if you go to a place like the Swiss Alps or the Himalayas then your awe for anywhere in the US will probably be lost as those mountains will blow anything here out of the water. Not a word game at all, just pointing out it’s always relative to what you’ve seen and CO is nice but other places are incredible. The Himalayas list 50 peaks over 23,000’ thatjust can’t be rivaled by anything else in the world.

Old 01-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Interesting you said that, I am from So-Cal, and for the new years went to check out Flagstaff, and I was surprised by the fact that the 'forest' wasn't as forested as I assumed. I was excited thinking it was going to be like nor-cal, but its the same forest we have here.
What we’re you looking for like NorCal? Giant redwoods?

Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I said MOST mountains in the PHX Mts are hills. Not all. Read carefully.

Toms Thumb from the west? There's only one trail up that way, and Id be VERY hard pressed to believe its 3K', considering the trailhead entrance to summit gain is only 1,300' or so. The rest of the McDowells are easy to climb, nothing big there, either. I did Toms Thumb, East End Trail, and Windgate Pass (big loop, basically) in one afternoon.

The Superstitions are too remote to hike, IMO, unless you plan on spending a day or two back there (Flat Iron excluded).

Four Peaks is also remote, dangerous, and extremely tough. That's not for the average hiker.

And I only mentioned the Sears Tower because our "mountains" are smaller than skyscrapers.
Here’s the toms thumb west side trail, yes it is 3,000’ and I’ve done it many times. My gps agrees with all trails within a few feet.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/a...mb-trail-south

And man your logic makes no sense, the Supes are full of hikers every single weekend. I did an organized charity hike out there just 4 weeks ago, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you want a big mountain it’s probably going to have some elements of danger but I promise it’s still much safer than the freeway or Chicago for the matter, since you love that place so much.

Why are Four Peaks too remote? They’re a lot less remote than many of the CO peaks people are talking about on this thread.

I don’t see how a skyscraper has anything to do with mountains, a mountain is defined by how it’s formed not by size relative to anything man made. And the former sears tower is a far cry from the tallest skyscraper on earth. Following that logic, at the rate the Middle East is building new super talls you won’t have any “real mountains” left soon.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:52 AM

5,649 posts, read 6,007,042 times
Quote:
Here’s the toms thumb west side trail, yes it is 3,000’ and I’ve done it many times. My gps agrees with all trails within a few feet.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/a...mb-trail-south

And man your logic makes no sense, the Supes are full of hikers every single weekend. I did an organized charity hike out there just 4 weeks ago, you can’t have your cake and eat it too. If you want a big mountain it’s probably going to have some elements of danger but I promise it’s still much safer than the freeway or Chicago for the matter, since you love that place so much.

Why are Four Peaks too remote? They’re a lot less remote than many of the CO peaks people are talking about on this thread.

I don’t see how a skyscraper has anything to do with mountains, a mountain is defined by how it’s formed not by size relative to anything man made. And the former sears tower is a far cry from the tallest skyscraper on earth. Following that logic, at the rate the Middle East is building new super talls you won’t have any “real mountains” left soon.
The Superstitions are very remote, and like I said, unless you're doing Flat Iron or Weaver's Needle and want to get to the big climbs, you're probably going to have to overnight it. No thanks.

Four Peaks is remote. To access it requires 4WD, some bushwhacking, and good scrambling skills. Not exactly "easily accessible".

And once again, I only referenced the Sears Tower for scale because our "mountains" are not really mountains in most cases. They're rocky hills. Most of the PHX Mts are maybe 100' tall. Sorry, that's not a mountain.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:02 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,761,967 times
Quote:
Been to the Alps and they are majestic. The closest thing we have here would be the Alaska mountain ranges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area