Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,810 times

Advertisements

I’m from Flagstaff and never visited Phoenix until last week for the holidays. For some reason i was expecting mountains like Colorado but without the lushness. I was very wrong. The mountains in the Phoenix metro look like giant rocks piled ontop of eachother sprinkled with sand on top. Kinda like Riverside County in California but uglier and more barren. Even after a good rain fall i hear they still stay arid brown.

I’m not dissing the area because i still prefer it over a flat city like Houston or Dallas, but i guess the mountains are still small lumpy hills in my standard. My cousin who lives in Phoenix recommends me to hike around the Fountain Hills (suburb) mountains.

Last edited by I Love Arizona .; 01-02-2018 at 02:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 02:39 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
They are still Mountains but not in the "Rocky Mountain" variety...it is a desert. Even Humphreys in Flag is small by Colorado standards (12,633'). The tallest peak in the McDowells is East End at a little over 4000'. Camelback is only 2700'.

Old 01-02-2018, 02:54 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Arizona . View Post
I’m from Flagstaff and never visited Phoenix until last week for the holidays. For some reason i was expecting mountains like Colorado but without the lushness. I was very wrong. The mountains in the Phoenix metro look like giant rocks piled ontop of eachother sprinkled with sand on top. Kinda like Riverside County in California but uglier and more barren. Even after a good rain fall i hear they still stay arid brown.

I’m not dissing the area because i still prefer it over a flat city like Houston or Dallas, but i guess the mountains are still small lumpy hills in my standard. My cousin who lives in Phoenix recommends me to hike around the Fountain Hills (suburb) mountains.
Cool story. Do tell us more.

Maybe you should have gone by the Superstition Mountains near the EV.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:05 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Hate to break it to you, but this state is mostly known for the Grand Canyon, sunny weather and desert landscape, not mountains. They're just oversize hills in my opinion.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:26 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,629,273 times
Quote:

I find it hard to believe that someone from Flagstaff would be so unfamiliar with Phoenix as to believe that there are 10,000 foot mountains surrounding the city. The tallest mountains that are visible from the city are the Four Peaks, which are almost 8,000 feet. On a clear day from Camelback or South Mountain, you can see the Catalinas outside of Tucson, which top out around 9,200 feet, but are definitely not in the Phoenix area.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
They are still Mountains but not in the "Rocky Mountain" variety...it is a desert. Even Humphreys in Flag is small by Colorado standards (12,633'). The tallest peak in the McDowells is East End at a little over 4000'. Camelback is only 2700'.
Pretty sure the Estrellas are taller anyway.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:38 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,615,820 times
Quote:

I’m not dissing the area because i still prefer it over a flat city like Houston or Dallas, but i guess the mountains are still small lumpy hills in my standard.
I agree, we have hills in Phoenix not mountains. Like you said, though, definitely beats flat like Houston and Dallas!

Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I agree, we have hills in Phoenix not mountains. Like you said, though, definitely beats flat like Houston and Dallas!
They are minor mountain ranges if you want to get super technical but they blow what most cities have out of the water. A hill does not have the geographic connectivity of a south mountain or McDowell mountain range. I lived out East for a while, you should see what they qualify as mountains....

Old 01-02-2018, 08:47 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
I don’t think Flag is small by CO standards, sure they have the 14ers but nearly 13 is big pretty high up and tops all but 1 or 2 of the max lift served elevation at ski resorts in Colorado.

Old 01-02-2018, 10:49 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
For some reason i was expecting mountains like Colorado but without the lushness. I was very wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area