Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,347,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseJane View Post
[/b]

Well if you are a business and I cannot get you "live", you won't get my business.
Now if you are not a business and I don't know you, why would I call you in the first place !
So many (most) businesses have done away with the live receptionist answering the switchboard. It's almost all via a recording directing callers to press a certain digit to reach (whatever). Sure you can press zero, and wait for a very long time to talk to a live person....or you often get a voice mail.

Last edited by applej3; 01-12-2018 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 05:31 AM

13,751 posts, read 8,009,665 times
Many people seem to prefer a text message to a phone call or voice mail.

More a sign of the times than anything to do with living in AZ.

Old 01-13-2018, 05:46 AM

811 posts, read 622,717 times
Quote:
[/b]

Well if you are a business and I cannot get you "live", you won't get my business.
Consumers undoubtedly decide what they will tolerate. Being in the service industry we take pride in the fact that our phone is always answered by someone who offers personal assistance; too easy for a prospect to call a competitor if we don't give them what they want.

Unfortunately the service standards have become so low in the healthcare industry that they can get away with exceptionally poor customer service. I know, I know... it's because they're "understaffed". B.S. That doesn't explain why they need to be rude and cop a 'tude when you finally do get to talk with someone.

As for texting vs. blathering on the phone: The beautiful thing about cell phones is that we all get to exercise our liberty as it fits our personal desires and needs. There are no restrictions regarding our preferred method of communication. We will automatically gravitate toward a method that suits our lifestyle. I suspect heckling or criticism by others toward our preferences will register little more than a yawn from most folks.

Old 01-13-2018, 06:56 AM

Yesterday I needed to call in for a couple prescription refills. For one I used the pharmacy automated system. The other needed Dr authorization, so I called my Dr office - a very busy medical practice - and I punched the digit for refill request and reached a live person.

Instead of blathering she connected me to the VM of my Dr"s nurse, and I left a message. Couple hrs later nurse called me & explained my Dr was off until Monday & asked if I had enough meds for a few days. I replied yes, didn't blather, and nurse said my pharmacy would be contacted on Monday with refill info. I thanked her. Mission accomplished!

Amazing how this was accomplished without blathering, irritation, or playing with the buttons on our phones and emojis.

Old 01-13-2018, 07:50 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times
Quote:
[/b]

That's just dumb! You actually think everyones sitting around just waiting for you to call? Contractors like myself very seldom answer their phone while working during the day. Leave a voice mail and either at lunch or after work we'll call you back. Although if that's the type of person you are (to lazy to leave a voice mail) I probably wouldn't want to work for you anyways!

Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,963,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
That's just dumb! You actually think everyones sitting around just waiting for you to call? Contractors like myself very seldom answer their phone while working during the day. Leave a voice mail and either at lunch or after work we'll call you back. Although if that's the type of person you are (to lazy to leave a voice mail) I probably wouldn't want to work for you anyways!
I like that I can text most of my contractors now. I don’t really have time to play phone tag, but like being able to text and exchange at our mutual leisure.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I like that I can text most of my contractors now. I don’t really have time to play phone tag, but like being able to text and exchange at our mutual leisure.
I don't have a problem with texting either (I actually tell my established customers to text me rather than call.) but she said she doesn't/won't ever text too. 90% of the time I'm at work I'm using both hands or I'm up on a ladder so I'm not going to worry about someones call or text until it's convenient and safe to do so.

Also the problem here as opposed the back east is most here that relocate keep their cell # from where they came from so it's hard to know if it's a telemarketer or a customer calling. Back east everyone has the same area code which makes it much easier.

Old 01-14-2018, 11:43 AM

924 posts, read 752,389 times
I'm reminded a little of some of the older people at my church, this being when I was the Prayer Chain coordinator. For whatever reason, these people wouldn't/didn't leave voice-mail messages. Instead, they'd just keep calling my cell phone repeatedly, until I was able to answer.

I would only call the person back if I had multiple "missed calls" from the same number. Otherwise, I figured it must not have been that important.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
I'm reminded a little of some of the older people at my church, this being when I was the Prayer Chain coordinator. For whatever reason, these people wouldn't/didn't leave voice-mail messages. Instead, they'd just keep calling my cell phone repeatedly, until I was able to answer.

I would only call the person back if I had multiple "missed calls" from the same number. Otherwise, I figured it must not have been that important.
Prior to cell phones, voice mail, & texting I had a land line and an answering machine. I did not have called ID. (This was late 1980s - early 1990s) I was very conscientious about checking my messages - even when I was not home I'd punch in a code and check messages.

I remember an ugly brouhaha because a certain family of relatives kept dialing my number and hanging up because they couldn't reach me. There was a family emergency (later they said they didn't "deal" with answering machines.) Finally someone called me and told me about the emergency. Repeatedly calling someone and hanging up is wrong on so many levels.

Oddly enough, those relatives eventually got an answering machine. They screen ALL their calls. How ironic.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:17 AM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Because they aren’t old.

What even is a voicemail?
re: age. That's absolutely part of what is going on. For me, it's punishing to retrieve voice mails. You need to write down phone #'s etc and I am often on the go. Therefore I dread going in and checking vmails. With a text, the message is already written down. Some people love to leave a DAMN book on a text too. As in 5 to 7 long drawn out messages. People, it's not a fricken email! Other people get upset with me if I don't answer/get back to them right away because in their mind, "I know they have it on them all the time". So for some, getting back 6 hours later is too long. My cell is also for business. Some customers think that texting on Christmas day is completely acceptable. I'm not really sure what they are thinking but I'm a capitalist, I guess I'll take their money.
My wife gets all upset but society has changed and people want instant feedback.

With all of that said, this thread is timely. Last week, I wanted to hire a subcontractor and their typical hourly is around $120 for a one man business. I wanted to hire local so I googled businesses in my 20 mile area. No one answered and I wasn't surprised. So I got into their vmail box. Four business vmails said: "the person you are trying to reach has a vmail box that is full". On on the other, I left a vmail. But on all of them, I texted that I lived in Surprise (my area code isn't local) and I was looking to hire someone for a solid day of work and to please call me back to discuss. Only one call back out of 5. So I'm going to give them another week. My plan is to give them some online feedback via Google letting others know not to waste their time. A simple text back "I' swamped and am not taking any jobs" would be professional.

Also, their vmail prompt should read "This is So-and-So. Please don't leave a vmail message but rather a text and I will get back to you inside of a few days". or something similar.

Back to the age thing. It seems the new generation (often) doesn't grasp professionalism and customer service. After all, the economy will re-tank again. When it does, cash will be king. Who knows, I might give them a call in a few years when they are starving again. Because the people who do o.k. with a bad economy did a great job with customer service and professionalism when they were picking money off of the ground in a hot economy. Because it's never o.k. to not answer a phone and have the voice prompt say that their box is full and not taking any more calls. I now view this as a huge sign that I would be working with an incompetent business. And later when they cannot find work in a down economy, they will have no one to blame but themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area