Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 07:29 PM

567 posts, read 433,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
People are flocking out of California? Based on what data? Sounds like something you’re parroting without solid insight.

“The land of fruits and nuts” is also such a childish, foolish thing to say. As if you can possibly put 40 million people into the same myopic box.
Well said. My thoughts exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Good. That means more of Arizona for me.

Please do stay in the mess you've helped create.
I'm just curious, why would some one living in Arizona post in the Los Angeles Forum unless you've actually lived here and have first hand knowledge of the place. You certianly have some strong opinions on LA and California.

Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,205,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
I'm just curious, why would some one living in Arizona post in the Los Angeles Forum unless you've actually lived here and have first hand knowledge of the place. You certianly have some strong opinions on LA and California.
Ummm your posting in the Phoenix forum not LA. Fluffy could ask the same of you

Old 01-27-2018, 08:26 PM

197 posts, read 272,010 times
California is hands down the most beautiful state in the USA and the best place to live...IF...you are rich.

We lived in the Bay Area for a little while, on total family income of $170,000 a year....and it wasn’t enough money. Between astronomical rent and child care for two kids, all we could afford was a ghetto house in the East Bay in a 2/10 ranked school district.

Life is so much better and easier in Arizona. Learned our lesson and will never go back to California unless it’s a vacation or an job promotion that offers a monumental salary increase.

Only people that do well in California are native Californians protected by Prop 13,wealthy, and the subsidized poor. Middle class gets the shaft.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post
California is hands down the most beautiful state in the USA and the best place to live...IF...you are rich.

We lived in the Bay Area for a little while, on total family income of $170,000 a year....and it wasn’t enough money. Between astronomical rent and child care for two kids, all we could afford was a ghetto house in the East Bay in a 2/10 ranked school district.

Life is so much better and easier in Arizona. Learned our lesson and will never go back to California unless it’s a vacation or an job promotion that offers a monumental salary increase.

Only people that do well in California are native Californians protected by Prop 13,wealthy, and the subsidized poor. Middle class gets the shaft.

Well said.

Old 01-27-2018, 09:10 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,205,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZJD View Post

Yup so cal is pretty much the same as the Bay Area and exactly as you described

Old 01-27-2018, 10:08 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,818,712 times
Quote:
People are flocking out of California? Based on what data? Sounds like something you’re parroting without solid insight.

“The land of fruits and nuts” is also such a childish, foolish thing to say. As if you can possibly put 40 million people into the same myopic box.

You should take your own advice.

Here's just a little data for you.

Quote:
The number of Californians leaving the state and moving to Texas is at its highest level in nearly a decade, according to datafrom the Internal Revenue Service.

According to IRS migration data, which uses individual income tax returns to record year-to-year address changes, over 250,000 California residents moved out of the state between 2013 and 2014, the latest period for which data was available. The tax returns reported more than $21 billion in adjusted gross income to the IRS.

Of the returns, 33,626 reported address changes from California to Texas, which has been the top destination for individuals leaving California since 2007. Californians who moved to Texas between 2013 and 2014 reported $2.19 billion in adjusted gross income.
Blog: Money's leaving California in a hurry

Quote:
Yet Californians keep coming. A 2015 U.S. Census report on state-to-state migration found that one in four people who moved to Idaho came from California.
Californians are flocking to Idaho. Are Idahoans more welcoming? | The Sacramento Bee

Quote:
Over the past ten years, approximately five million people have moved away from the state of California, and as you will see in this article this mass exodus appears to be accelerating. The number of Californians leaving the state and moving to Texas is at its highest level in nearly a decade, according to data from the Internal Revenue Service.
The Exodus Of People Moving Away From California Is Becoming An Avalanche – The American Dream

Old 01-27-2018, 10:49 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Texas and Idaho experiencing an influx of Californians in no way supports the initial claim. I didn’t click the last link to some propaganda site.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Ummm your posting in the Phoenix forum not LA. Fluffy could ask the same of you
You're absolutely right. My mistake. I'm not sure how that happened.

Old 01-28-2018, 07:33 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,264,013 times
Quote:
Texas and Idaho experiencing an influx of Californians in no way supports the initial claim. I didn’t click the last link to some propaganda site.
What? How do you figure that? The initial claim was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
everything Gixxer1K posted is true
people are flocking out of the "land of fruits and nuts" because it NOT any sort of Utopia..

Cant imagine Arizona EVER being a Blue state..

And coming from the Midwest, last summer wasnt the nightmare everyone says it is; although I dont have to work and live a "normal" schedule anymore, getting my stuff done in the am, or after the sun goes down was simple; plus, if you remember to try and stay out of the sun, the heat is less intense..
And, as others have said, its a short drive to cooler weather, and a gorgeous drive as well!

I've felt like I am on vacation from the first day we moved here, and I still do..
To which you stated:

Quote:

Maybe you don't remember the actual claim but come on it is right there...

CA has been losing its middle class for a while now due to how expensive EVERYTHING is, how high taxes are, traffic, and a myriad of other issues the state faces. The worst part is for they mostly don't even see the issues as issues so they are likely headed toward huge problems; you cant run off the middle class and expect to be financially sound for starters. CA has some of the stupidest laws on the books which cause higher costs for anyone trying to get their life started, Prop 13 for example.

Someone making $70k a year should be doing okay for themselves but in CA you would be lucky to be in an area equivalent to Maryvale with that kind of income, slight overstatement but not by much. If a family of 3 were to make $70k here you could expect to take home about $4500 a month, employer health insurance around $500 a month. Here a mortgage of $2k a month puts you into the nicer neighborhoods in any of the metro and into some areas of Scottsdale/PV etc. You could easily get into an area in North Peoria, Chandler, Mesa with 9s and 10s schools for quite a bit less than that, I'm only at $1300 on a brand new 3k sq ft home with 20% down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area