Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:43 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,300,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It's not "unfounded" fear. Newsom wants universal health care for all of California and has pledged to enact it once governor.

California's universal health care would cost the state, all by itself, more than the entire current budget the state operates under. And that doesn't count the people who will move here to get free stuff.
That's why the legislature decided it was a really stupid idea earlier this year and voted it down. What we have now is a bill stating the intent of the legislature to provide UHC.

Note that the California legislature is dominated by Democrats. The Dems hold a supermajority in the state Senate and they are short only one vote of holding it in the Assembly. The Republicans don't have the power to vote down anything by themselves.

One estimate of the cost of UHC once enacted is $100 billion per year. I prefer to get out of the state before that happens, for obvious reasons.
Yep, the state has hit the point of no return. I hit the point of no return to CA in Oct. of 2015. Took the generous pension the generous people of CA gave me and didn't let the door hit me in the rear on the way out.

Has a few nice places to vacation though. Thank you for that California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 08:56 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,177,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The big question is how much would you make in Phoenix? If you could make close to or more than you're making in Cali then it would be worth putting up with some summer heat to live a better lifestyle in Phoenix than Socal in my opinion.
Actually someone can make a lot less in Az and have the same or better quality of life then they do in Ca. My friend was recently in Az and said her husband was crying the gas was so inexpensive compared to Ca.

Old 09-01-2018, 09:05 PM

551 posts, read 692,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
AZ is not a red state. It's very definitely purple.
This state is more libertarian-conservative than old GOP conservative, and even our liberals are not as hardcore as where the current parties lie.

AZ does as AZ pleases, AZ doesn't like being told what to do, AZ enjoys personal rights, and usually when I like it most: conservative in finances. We can see what out-of-control spending does in multiple cities right now.
I don't want to make this a party thing either. I like AZ believing in individual rights above all else. I'd hate to see that change. More laws are not necessarily good and both parties have a bad habit of wanting more, more, more.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:47 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Why not?? You have no idea what it's like for conservative to live behind enemy lines
Phoenix isn’t at all the conservative Mecca that you seem to think it is. You probably wouldn’t be happy here either if you’re so wrapped up in politics that it impacts your contentment.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:52 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Actually someone can make a lot less in Az and have the same or better quality of life then they do in Ca. My friend was recently in Az and said her husband was crying the gas was so inexpensive compared to Ca.
Yeah I agree but there is a contrary argument to be made. Most would agree that Cali has a significantly better climate than Az and then there is the cost of moving, uprooting your family, etc. I believe OP has a family so the cost versus income has to be a big factor....in my opinion, $70K for a family in Socal is struggling although frugal people will make it work.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:09 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
No, you didn't factor that in. He's not taking home $5800 as you suggest. He's taking home $36-3800 monthly, leaving only $1800 for utilities, vehicle payment/expense, gas, cell phone, internet, groceries, savings, etc. You certainly cannot get ahead like that nor is there any money left over to do anything.
Grossing $70K per your and only netting $36-3800 per month?

$70,000 gross per year divided by 12 months means gross is $5,833.

It seems hard to save much after the cost of living eats into the $36-38K per month.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:18 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Please don’t move here if unfounded fear is your motivation to do so.
Yes move to Arizona if you are actually interested in living here. Like you may actually enjoy what we offer. Not some weird "I can't afford California and I don't like the politics so I'm just going to turn it into California but what it was thirty years ago" nonsense. Arizona *IS* different than California in many ways, contrary to popular belief. We are not a Republican Southern California. We never have been, and we never will be. If that's what you want just move inland about twenty miles. Sick of coastal Californians forgetting about the other 80% of their state. Just like how Idaho is not a Republican Northern California either.

I'm starting to think defining the region as the whole West is no longer an accurate statement. It might be time to break us up. Pacific Northwest, California, Mountain West, and Southwest.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:19 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post
This state is more libertarian-conservative than old GOP conservative, and even our liberals are not as hardcore as where the current parties lie.

AZ does as AZ pleases, AZ doesn't like being told what to do, AZ enjoys personal rights, and usually when I like it most: conservative in finances. We can see what out-of-control spending does in multiple cities right now.
I don't want to make this a party thing either. I like AZ believing in individual rights above all else. I'd hate to see that change. More laws are not necessarily good and both parties have a bad habit of wanting more, more, more.

^ Applause.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusland View Post

That is what I crave in life. The minute I cross the state line out of Ca I feel like I can breathe easier. And it's not just the lack of smog

Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Yes move to Arizona if you are actually interested in living here. Like you may actually enjoy what we offer. Not some weird "I can't afford California and I don't like the politics so I'm just going to turn it into California but what it was thirty years ago" nonsense. Arizona *IS* different than California in many ways, contrary to popular belief. We are not a Republican Southern California. We never have been, and we never will be. If that's what you want just move inland about twenty miles. Sick of coastal Californians forgetting about the other 80% of their state. Just like how Idaho is not a Republican Northern California either.

I'm starting to think defining the region as the whole West is no longer an accurate statement. It might be time to break us up. Pacific Northwest, California, Mountain West, and Southwest.
I already live 20 miles from the coast. I could live in Modesto or Mammoth Lakes but I'd still be in Ca. A liberal controlled state where even moderates have no say at all. A state with a extremely high cost of living. A state that loves illegals, homeless and criminals and at the best ignores the middle class tax payers paying for everything. I'm a independent that leans right and I think a purple state would be wonderful. What makes you think I could turn a whole state into something I want?? Whatever state I move to I'll just be able to breathe more free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area