Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,179,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Yeah I agree but there is a contrary argument to be made. Most would agree that Cali has a significantly better climate than Az and then there is the cost of moving, uprooting your family, etc. I believe OP has a family so the cost versus income has to be a big factor....in my opinion, $70K for a family in Socal is struggling although frugal people will make it work.
I make 50k and single and if I hadn't bought my place in 02 I'd of had to leave Ca years ago. Also our weather is changing here we've had the hottest most humid summer on record here. It never rains. Lots of people on the coast don't have a/c. Everything is on fire. I just went hiking yesterday in a canyon that last fall burned to the ground and I had to evacuate. There's no clear skies. It's either smoggy hazy or smokey. Sure the beach is nice but I never have time to go and it's 15.00 bucks to park there. It would be difficult to uproot a family especially if certain people don't want to move but in the end the positives heavy outweigh the negatives
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2018, 09:18 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,544,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
This might sound odd, but IMO, Southern California is a more of a healthy medium between the Midwest and Arizona for the following reasons:

1) There is a stronger, more pervasive Protestant Christian element in California that doesn't really exist in Arizona. FWIW, Arizona's population is quite irreligious. Those in Arizona who are religious tend to be either Roman Catholic, Mormon or Jewish. FYI, no one in the Midwest is Mormon or Jewish, LOL.

2) California is more festive during the holiday season, consistent with much of the Midwest. Christmas decorations, holiday parties, boat parades, etc. are favorite, long-held pastimes of many local communities in Southern California. In Arizona, OTOH, you could drive through a subdivision of 100 homes and count on one hand how many of those homes were decorated for Christmas. Also, no one -- and I repeat, no one -- in Phoenix or Tucson have any special or long-held Independence Day traditions.

3) Although California is home a greater proportion of transplants than most, if not all, Midwestern states, you will meet many people throughout California whose families have lived in the state for generations. In Arizona, 9/10 people you meet originated in another state, and most of those people will never live in the state for more than 10 years total. Simply stated, Arizona doesn't have as many "sticky factors" as California to retain a high percentages of both natives and transplants.

4) People are much more sociable in California. Arizona is a very anti-social state: people don't smile or make eye contact with others in public, small talk at grocery stores or other public places is quite uncommon, coworkers don't usually greet each other with "good morning" at the office, people stay shuttered in their dark homes for much of the year and go from their air-conditioned homes to their air-conditioned cars to their air-conditioned workplaces with minimal outdoor exposure, etc. People in Arizona just aren't that interested in getting to know and befriending you because either you're going to move on quickly or they're planning to themselves.
My observations as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area