Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:51 PM

1,609 posts, read 2,015,880 times

Advertisements

I have a 2100 sq ft 2 story, and there is NO way I'd go with only one AC! It's way more efficient for 2 AC's at about 2000 sq ft and up. I looked at a new build with 1600 sq ft and one AC and thought that was too much. The upstairs would be too hot and the downstairs too cool with the thermostat most likely downstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 09:10 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
Yes, that's what I meant...thanks....sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain
I'm no stranger to that issue, especially before my 5th cup of coffee...

Old 01-31-2018, 09:45 PM

942 posts, read 2,520,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Here's my .2 cents for what it's worth. Around here (the West Valley/far west valley) single story homes sell for more per sqft than 2 stories do based on the FlexMLS that I watch daily. They also sell faster (here) that 2 stories do. I don't know exactly why but I've got some theories.

I live in a 2 story now and have owned many 2 story homes some new builds some used, I built our last home which was a single story. It's cheaper to build a two story as it's cheaper to go up than go out, that is just a plain fact. It's almost guaranteed that you will have a smaller yard with a single story vs a 2 story solely due to home footprint.

Now, on to the claims of a single story is cheaper to heat/cool than a 2 story. It all depends on construction and maintenance afterwards if all other things are equal. I match our 2400 sqft 2 story against my neighbors smaller single stories and our utility bills are lower than theirs, our bills are even lower than matching 2 stories across the street from us with the difference being they have a single zone system to our 2 zone (an upgrade at the time of building vs standard package).

They run theirs at least 5 degrees hotter than we do during the summer (76 vs 81-85) and we still have a way lower bill. This could be due to we have better insulation, better windows or better maintenance.
The next house we buy will be a single story just because we don't need all this space and we're getting older so stairs could be an issue later on.

The new single story will get RU 50+ in the attic and as much as I can stuff into the walls as that has a significant effect on what your cooling/heating costs will be.
This is true! We recently sold a two-story and purchased a single-story house. We watched many single story houses move more quickly and sell at a higher price per sq. ft. In addition, prior to selling, the carpet wore out on the stairs and we had to make a decision on what to do with the flooring. We ended up re-tiling the entire downstairs and the stairs because we found the stairs very quick to appear dirty and difficult to clean. Thinking of resale, I would definitely try to purchase a single-story unless you have a compelling reason to want a two-story. This area has many families with small children and many retirees, neither of whom seem to really appreciate stairs. Good luck! Verrado is lovely.....

Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by military spouse View Post
This is true! We recently sold a two-story and purchased a single-story house. We watched many single story houses move more quickly and sell at a higher price per sq. ft. In addition, prior to selling, the carpet wore out on the stairs and we had to make a decision on what to do with the flooring. We ended up re-tiling the entire downstairs and the stairs because we found the stairs very quick to appear dirty and difficult to clean. Thinking of resale, I would definitely try to purchase a single-story unless you have a compelling reason to want a two-story. This area has many families with small children and many retirees, neither of whom seem to really appreciate stairs. Good luck! Verrado is lovely.....
I am hoping the single story differential is cyclical and that the new business developments being completed or in the works might change things this year as they'll bring in more families that want what a two story brings like a larger yard for less money. We are competing with new builds but the cheapest 2 story is going for over $50k more than what we'd be happy to get out of this one and they are on smaller lots.
I've got to pop over to the R.E. section and pose the question about 1 vs 2 stories and see what realtors have to say about that.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:18 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I am hoping the single story differential is cyclical and that the new business developments being completed or in the works might change things this year as they'll bring in more families that want what a two story brings like a larger yard for less money. We are competing with new builds but the cheapest 2 story is going for over $50k more than what we'd be happy to get out of this one and they are on smaller lots.
I've got to pop over to the R.E. section and pose the question about 1 vs 2 stories and see what realtors have to say about that.
I m afraid you are in for a disappointment. The single story has been more expensive than the two story forever. And it is unlikely to change.

Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 PM

56 posts, read 40,416 times
The benefits of a single story extend beyond potential energy efficiencies. Well-designed one-story homes equivalently sized, particularly those with 10 ft ceilings,feel more spacious, have better sightlines and are wider and deeper.

My first home was a two-story and it was my last home with stairs.

I happen to own a home in Verrado and watch sales closely. Single story homes go wuickly, two story homes sit because few people want them.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:52 PM

80 posts, read 98,660 times
Default Verrado 2018

Thanks everyone! I made it to Verrado. I LOVED it! What a great place. It looks like I'm going to build a new 2 story. The reason being is that for the Sq Footage I need, I can't afford to get in a single story. I'm going to buy in Marketside at Verrado. I do have a concern though. I seen allot of new rentals being built in Verrado around the Heritage swim park... Any thoughts on what that is going to do to the area? I was shocked to see rentals going into such a beautiful place to live... :-((.

Old 02-09-2018, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanavarrete1 View Post
Thanks everyone! I made it to Verrado. I LOVED it! What a great place. It looks like I'm going to build a new 2 story. The reason being is that for the Sq Footage I need, I can't afford to get in a single story. I'm going to buy in Marketside at Verrado. I do have a concern though. I seen allot of new rentals being built in Verrado around the Heritage swim park... Any thoughts on what that is going to do to the area? I was shocked to see rentals going into such a beautiful place to live... :-((.
You'll love,love,love having so many renters around!
Who wouldn't want to reside around people who have no vested interest in the area and could care less about how it looks,rules,upkeep or home values?

Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 AM

268 posts, read 216,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanavarrete1 View Post
Rentals as in townhomes/condos???

Old 02-10-2018, 04:05 PM

720 posts, read 734,690 times
We have a two story and I wish we had a 1 story

- yes about the ac - can't keep one off - both will always have to be running with one floor 2 degrees different otherwise the other one would keep on running - 2ksf home may require 2 ac units anyhow so ??

- resale some people will reject because it's a two-story

- if you have kids you will lose them upstairs while you're downstairs - maybe that's a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area