Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 06:33 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
The ring argument always get them!
Our city and our state are immensely harmed by newcomers who have no ties to the area. Being smug and smartass about their sports teams "back home" is an annoyance, but it is often accompanied by a detached attitude and lack of commitment to what makes a place a community. I do wish people who like Chicago or SF or NY or wherever so much that they cant shut up about it, would just stay where their hearts are and not ruin our city any more than it already has been ruined by too much growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:25 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,963,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
The ring argument always get them!
Hows your basketball team doing? Hockey team?

#shutup

Old 02-07-2018, 07:55 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Our city and our state are immensely harmed by newcomers who have no ties to the area. Being smug and smartass about their sports teams "back home" is an annoyance, but it is often accompanied by a detached attitude and lack of commitment to what makes a place a community. I do wish people who like Chicago or SF or NY or wherever so much that they cant shut up about it, would just stay where their hearts are and not ruin our city any more than it already has been ruined by too much growth.
So, is it ok if someone born in Arizona happens to be a Cubs fan, but, if someone who moved out to Arizona is a Cubs fan,thats NOT ok?
I'm confused..

Phoenix is my new home, and we love everything about it, but, it will take me awhile to become a Cardinals/Suns/Diamondbacks/coyotes fan; but I dont see how that is harming Arizona in any way shape or form, as I plan on going to local sporting events, spending money at the venues, and learning more about the players and their teams..

Old 02-07-2018, 07:58 AM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times
Quote:

I see your point and agree to an extent. One thing is AZ is a melting pot from all over so there will always be "band wagon fans" here in every sport. The people who sit next to me are huge 9ers fans and route for them the one home game they play here but every other game they're dressed in their Cards garb. You really can't expect people to just abandon their teams when they've grown up following them for many years. It is frustrating as hell especially when the Seachickens are in town and Pete Carroll has them chanting in our own house.

Now I will say if our teams were better and better managed and actually won some titles once in a while there'd be less band wagon fans and less opposing teams fans in our stadiums. Growing up in MA and watching the Patriots were almost as frustrating as watching the Cards. You could go to the stadium on any given Sunday and walk right up and get tickets. Heck salesmen from other companies use to give my dad their tickets,50 yard line seats right behind the Pats bench! Now, good luck getting tickets without paying through the nose for them.

One thing I do agree on is when people come here and complain it's "not like back home". Well no $*!t you left back home for a reason and stop trying to change AZ to the dump you just left! You've been here a long time and have seen some massive changes and not all have been good i'm sure. Like you I hate change but in reality there's nothing we can do but accept it or move on to another place.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:35 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,918,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post

One thing I do agree on is when people come here and complain it's "not like back home". Well no $*!t you left back home for a reason and stop trying to change AZ to the dump you just left! You've been here a long time and have seen some massive changes and not all have been good i'm sure. Like you I hate change but in reality there's nothing we can do but accept it or move on to another place.
THIS, for sure!

Old 02-07-2018, 09:09 AM

872 posts, read 999,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
So, is it ok if someone born in Arizona happens to be a Cubs fan, but, if someone who moved out to Arizona is a Cubs fan,thats NOT ok?
I'm confused..

Phoenix is my new home, and we love everything about it, but, it will take me awhile to become a Cardinals/Suns/Diamondbacks/coyotes fan; but I dont see how that is harming Arizona in any way shape or form, as I plan on going to local sporting events, spending money at the venues, and learning more about the players and their teams..
I think a lot of people here have loyalty to their hometown teams since most are transplants. I see Cubs stuff EVERYWHERE as well as Steelers, Green Bay, Patriots and Giants BUT never seen any Lakers stuff

Also, people develop sport team pride for Arizona as well. Not to mention the cubs train out in Mesa. That's a BIG deal for people

Old 02-07-2018, 11:58 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Here's some typical dialect from the average transplant:

* Ohhhhh, the weather is so beautiful here. Sun, sun, sun, sun day after day after day!
* But WAAAH WAAAH, people in Phoenix drive too fast and are so aggressive. I'm constantly being tailgated, cut off, and flipped off when I drive the speed limit on the 101. Boo hoo hoo.
* WAAAH WAAAH, Arizonians don’t care about public schools. We don’t spend enough tax money on our precious children. Boo hoo hoo.
* Go Steelers, go Eagles, go Patriots, go Packers, go Cubs, go Royals!
* The Coyotes? Oh yeah, I know they're predatory desert animals because the coyote always chased the roadrunner in the cartoons. The Cardinals? Oh yeah, we had those birds back home. Aren't they a baseball team in St. Louis? Who are the Phoenix Suns? The Diamond WHAT?

Old 02-07-2018, 12:12 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Here's some typical dialect from the average transplant:

* Ohhhhh, the weather is so beautiful here. Sun, sun, sun, sun day after day after day!
* But WAAAH WAAAH, people in Phoenix drive too fast and are so aggressive. I'm constantly being tailgated, cut off, and flipped off when I drive the speed limit on the 101. Boo hoo hoo.
* WAAAH WAAAH, Arizonians don’t care about public schools. We don’t spend enough tax money on our precious children. Boo hoo hoo.
* Go Steelers, go Eagles, go Patriots, go Packers, go Cubs, go Royals!
* The Coyotes? Oh yeah, I know they're predatory desert animals because the coyote always chased the roadrunner in the cartoons. The Cardinals? Oh yeah, we had those birds back home. Aren't they a baseball team in St. Louis? Who are the Phoenix Suns? The Diamond WHAT?
Why don't they have (insert name of favorite fast food chain in (insert name of city of origin)) here?

Back home we/it/they (insert just about any nonsense you can think of).

I could go on all day. I get it that sports fans are hard to change, but you don't move to a place (or ask for info about it) and then get up under the chin straps of the locals with snide remarks like "I'm planning on coming back in July when the Giants sweep the diamondbacks". Arizona sports fans have it tough enough with the dismal performance of our clubs without having to be razzed by the likes of prospective newcomers.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-07-2018 at 12:26 PM..

Old 02-07-2018, 02:25 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
Quote:
Why don't they have (insert name of favorite fast food chain in (insert name of city of origin)) here?

Back home we/it/they (insert just about any nonsense you can think of).

I could go on all day. I get it that sports fans are hard to change, but you don't move to a place (or ask for info about it) and then get up under the chin straps of the locals with snide remarks like "I'm planning on coming back in July when the Giants sweep the diamondbacks". Arizona sports fans have it tough enough with the dismal performance of our clubs without having to be razzed by the likes of prospective newcomers.
When I hear “back home,” “well in [insert],” or “back east” I stop listening.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:34 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
This is a free country. People can root for whatever team they want. You can’t honestly expect someone who has been rooting for their hometown team since childhood to abandon their allegiance just because they move here. What about the “natives” who root for other teams? Are they to be scolded too? If it wasn’t for all the transplants who have helped the Phoenix area grow to a major metropolitan area, there would be no professional sports teams here at all. Phoenix would just be another Tucson, Albuquerque or El Paso.

Why should people shut up about where they’re from? To avoid pissing off “natives” and old timers? People live here for a variety of reasons. I’m here because I was asked if I would transfer to our Phoenix office. Why should I, or anyone else, forget where we’re from? Cities back east and in the Midwest have distinct identities that most Phoenicians probably can’t relate to, mainly because this place is one generic blob of suburbia. If this place had more of an identity than some second rate copy of the Inland Empire, maybe people moving here would have more pride in their new location.

Please let me know how long one must live here before they can accuse others of “ruining” the place by their mere presence? Judging from actual population statistics, most of us, our parents or our grandparents came from somewhere else. Yet some people think they have the right to point their fingers at other residents as being the cause for all of the region’s ills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area