Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 11:02 PM

179 posts, read 327,171 times

Advertisements

I'm considering apartments in that area. It's right across the street from a light rail station, so it would be ideal for commuting. Is it a decent area, or is it one I should avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Not the best, not the worst. It feels quite urban, but I don’t think it’s particularly dangerous. Definite bonus points for being walking distance to The Clever Koi and George and Dragon. Lots of cool festivals and events Steele Indian Park.

Old 02-02-2018, 12:53 AM

110 posts, read 119,876 times
The area is okay, and yea, commute time would be great. However, not the area I would choose to live in. There is some really bad areas around there and then again, not to far away there is some really great areas. Like I said, it's okay.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:56 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,463,395 times
Just do it. It's a decent location, super convenient and not dangerous. And it's only an apartment... If you decide you don't like it for any reason, just don't renew the lease and you're gone. I've passed by those apartments and they look nice. I wouldn't think twice.

Old 02-02-2018, 09:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,613 times
Yep, those apartments are decent, and it is cleaner and fewer homeless than downtown. There is another complex at 3rd St and IS...Steele Park something...likely cheaper, but not as nice. Your a little close to Central High, which is an absolute freak show, and they will pollute the rail after school. I wouldn't pay a premium to live there with a long commute, or even a mid commute..but within Midtown or Downtown...would be good, and at least, when I was there, there were some bars good enough that you did not want to be driving...and I went to Tempe once in two years.

The Chines place just S of Indian School is the worst ever.

Old 02-02-2018, 02:23 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Drive over there, hang around at night. Its not the best area, but not super bad, either. Get a feel of the 'hood by hanging around there at night, see what comes and goes. Expect to see vagrants frequently, I can tell you that much.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:18 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,993,613 times
All three of the Light Rail stops on Camelback are worse, and two of them are much worse. CVS lasted six months at 19th and Camelback..couldn't control the criminals.

Old 02-05-2018, 09:27 AM

872 posts, read 1,004,366 times
Phoenix is so up and down with neighborhoods. If you drive North 16thst-52nd st starting at McDowell, you can see the major differences with each mile marker. Thomas and Indian School are completely different. I think Indian is becoming a little more developed. Camelback is nice from 7th ave -> Eastbound.

I'd honestly choose Roosevelt/Central for being downtown and then maybe Bethany and Central for uptown

Old 02-06-2018, 02:22 AM

221 posts, read 193,984 times
News report in last several days says registered sex offenders, who can't get work nor find housing, use this intersection as where they can be found. It is legal and they have to reaffirm this location, every six months. Busy cross streets in the downtown area also were used. Findings state there were approx. 400 individuals who offered ghost addresses. Let the renter beware.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:02 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,638,667 times
There's a lot of pedestrian traffic relative to many areas of Phoenix because of the proximity of bus stops on Indian School to the light rail on Central. I guess the background of 20 story buildings makes the area urban by Phoenix standards. However, there are few restaurants within reasonable walking distance. There are quite a few transients who walk up and down Indian School all day, in addition to homeless people who camp in the vacant lot on the north side of Indian School, just west of Central. The area is home to a lot of younger and LGBT people. It's safe, but I'm sure the foot traffic and volume of vehicular traffic that goes through that intersection can make it seem overly busy and unsafe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: