Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 07:53 PM

9,870 posts, read 11,263,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
My house had engineered wood from the early 2000's the polyurethane eventually cracked though since it's engineered can't be sanded and refinished. The issue was discovered because I put down a rubber mat for some exercise equipment it trapped moisture under the polyurethane turned black got into the wood. I tried sanding it my self with a sander was so deep into the wood could not go much farther then the top layer. We had to just put a rug over that spot ill never buy engineered wood again.
I always keep a few extra tile, extra grout, section of carpet, and even a 1/4 box of wood flooring. Also, some paint in a container for touch-ups (I used large coffee creamer jugs). To date, I normally store flooring and toss them without needing them for any touch-ups. But once I did need a spare piece of carpet and had them carefully cut it in. That saved me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 06:35 AM

39,147 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
My house had engineered wood from the early 2000's the polyurethane eventually cracked though since it's engineered can't be sanded and refinished. The issue was discovered because I put down a rubber mat for some exercise equipment it trapped moisture under the polyurethane turned black got into the wood. I tried sanding it my self with a sander was so deep into the wood could not go much farther then the top layer. We had to just put a rug over that spot ill never buy engineered wood again.
I have engineered wood in my cabin up north. The main issue I have with it is that it scratches easily. EW has an aluminum oxide coating that is intended to protect the wood from scratching and wear and I suppose it does except that it too can scratch leaving white marks that are difficult to remove.

While it is fake and sounds "plastic" I have to give a shout out to laminate for durability. I have had laminate in my Phoenix home for 20 years now and it looks as good as the day I put it in - even in the high traffic areas. It wears like tile.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 PM

13,489 posts, read 7,478,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I always keep a few extra tile, extra grout, section of carpet, and even a 1/4 box of wood flooring. Also, some paint in a container for touch-ups (I used large coffee creamer jugs). To date, I normally store flooring and toss them without needing them for any touch-ups. But once I did need a spare piece of carpet and had them carefully cut it in. That saved me.
The home had the wood when we moved in there were extra left in the shed I foolishly left them in the shed where the poly was dried out by the heat and was worse then the floor in the house. I had no idea that this engineered wood was simply a thin layer over other wood under it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have engineered wood in my cabin up north. The main issue I have with it is that it scratches easily. EW has an aluminum oxide coating that is intended to protect the wood from scratching and wear and I suppose it does except that it too can scratch leaving white marks that are difficult to remove.

While it is fake and sounds "plastic" I have to give a shout out to laminate for durability. I have had laminate in my Phoenix home for 20 years now and it looks as good as the day I put it in - even in the high traffic areas. It wears like tile.
You might be talking about "Pergo" plastic wood what I'm taking about is real wood but it's like ply wood thin layer over other layers of cheaper wood maybe pine not sure. Then it's stained, and polyurethane over it. The problem is because the wood isn't the same all the way though you can't sand it down and re finish with the exception of light sanding and water based poly over it there is a company that does that but they could not guarantee they could fix my problem. I figured Ill try to sand that area myself sure enough the black mold is deep in the grain of the wood. Don't ever put anything that can trap moister under it on real wood floors. This was in the summer when more humid here but it wasn't like a swamp only took a few days to damage it. I thought using the rubber mat bottom with run on top would keep the floor from being damaged from the treadmill. If the wood had good layer of poly on it probably would not have happened. I rather have tile floors just so much more durable then real wood floors our dogs have done lot of damage to the wood floor as well.

Old 03-06-2018, 10:07 AM

39,147 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
The home had the wood when we moved in there were extra left in the shed I foolishly left them in the shed where the poly was dried out by the heat and was worse then the floor in the house. I had no idea that this engineered wood was simply a thin layer over other wood under it.

You might be talking about "Pergo" plastic wood what I'm taking about is real wood but it's like ply wood thin layer over other layers of cheaper wood maybe pine not sure. Then it's stained, and polyurethane over it. The problem is because the wood isn't the same all the way though you can't sand it down and re finish with the exception of light sanding and water based poly over it there is a company that does that but they could not guarantee they could fix my problem. I figured Ill try to sand that area myself sure enough the black mold is deep in the grain of the wood. Don't ever put anything that can trap moister under it on real wood floors. This was in the summer when more humid here but it wasn't like a swamp only took a few days to damage it. I thought using the rubber mat bottom with run on top would keep the floor from being damaged from the treadmill. If the wood had good layer of poly on it probably would not have happened. I rather have tile floors just so much more durable then real wood floors our dogs have done lot of damage to the wood floor as well.
I'm talking about both actually. The engineered wood has a thin veneer of real wood on a ply substrate. It is coated with aluminum oxide in most cases for durability and scratch resistance. Premium woods will have 5 to 10 coatings of aluminum oxide, while bargain grades might use polyurethane. Like you have noticed, engineered wood floors can't be refinished or even repaired well.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:16 AM

12 posts, read 6,030 times
Probably because carpet is cheaper, I wouldn't see any other reason, I don't like carpet, I would go for wooden floors, good for every season and if you want you can have some nice rugs.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:56 PM

892 posts, read 1,507,233 times
My last house has light colored carpeting throughout the house, and I often attributed the carpeting to be one of the major sources of rapid dust collection in the house.

When I bought the current house, I ripped out almost all the carpeting, and installed ceramic tile in the kitchen/bath areas, with laminate in the master bedroom, den, and living room/dining room area. Light colored everywhere except the den, where I got a smoking deal on some dark cherry.

I'm house shopping again, and I plan to go carpet in the next house again, with tile in the kitchen/bath areas. Why? I feel like it's a daily regimen to clean every floor in the house at least once a day, minimum. If I don't, when the sun shines in, the dust on the floors is lit up like Jesus coming down from the clouds. Also, as others noted, the rocks that get drug in by shoes has been tearing up the front room's laminate something fierce, and on the tiled areas, I find them by stepping on them in bare feet at 4am, lol. I suspect that the lower grade laminate has a lot to do with the durability aspect, and going with better floors would minimize that, but I'm still not escaping the dust issue short of never opening the drapes again.

Old 03-12-2018, 03:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,098,533 times
I'm now looking for a house and what cracks me up is all these listings where they actually brag about putting in laminate like it's some kind of upgrade.

It's CHEAP,plastic, PHONY wood that does nothing other than scream click/clack/click/clack/click/clack "RIP ME OUT". Sorry, If I'm looking at that home I'm calculating what the cost will be to put in a floor not made by Mattel and I'll certainly ask for a flooring credit to do so...

Old 03-12-2018, 06:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,309,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm now looking for a house and what cracks me up is all these listings where they actually brag about putting in laminate like it's some kind of upgrade.

It's CHEAP,plastic, PHONY wood that does nothing other than scream click/clack/click/clack/click/clack "RIP ME OUT". Sorry, If I'm looking at that home I'm calculating what the cost will be to put in a floor not made by Mattel and I'll certainly ask for a flooring credit to do so...
That may be in a neighborhood where the standard was linoleum so they count wood laminate as an upgrade. The newer stuff is actually much nicer than what was common 10 years ago, but I also don't care for it. I feel if you want wood look floors you should get real wood. In my primary residence I have hardwood, porcelain tile and low pile carpet in some of the bedrooms. I actually like having a bit of carpet but not the really shaggy stuff, and I change it out every 7 years or less.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:32 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,744,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post

for homes under $300-k~ish, the owners will likely tell you to pound sand for a flooring credit because there are more buyers than homes.. If you get into the $400k+ range, you're buying neighborhood, not house & often those will come with whatever the builder put in, whenever it was built.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,098,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
for homes under $300-k~ish, the owners will likely tell you to pound sand for a flooring credit because there are more buyers than homes.. If you get into the $400k+ range, you're buying neighborhood, not house & often those will come with whatever the builder put in, whenever it was built.
Of course, I was being facetious. What generated the comment was yesterday a listing came up for a $500k+ 6000 sqft house where one of the first things the agent put in the description is "replaced almost all flooring with laminate".

I know for a fact those homes came with lots of tile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area