Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 12:20 PM

134 posts, read 96,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well apparently that program was put on hold and we will be voting on it. Most private schools do have scholarships though.
Got it. Scholarships sound good!

So how about what cities beside Chandler and Gilbert are good for raising families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 12:27 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcmm-78 View Post
Got it. Scholarships sound good!

So how about what cities beside Chandler and Gilbert are good for raising families?

I've asked the mods to move this thread to the Phoenix forum where it belongs.
First, have you ever visited metro Phoenix for any length of time? Uprooting a family sight unseen raises a host of issues.

People have raised families happily and successfully in every city in this metro area, including Phoenix itself, for decades. This question is asked very frequently and always strikes me as a bit strange. You definitely need to rent first, if you are working from home and the daily commute is not an issue. There are good public schools, and good private schools, in various areas of the Valley. Hospitals and shopping are everywhere, too.

Public schools here have open enrollment. You can place a child in a school or district outside the attendance area you live in if the school has room and you provide the transportation. Private/charter schools are a separate issue, I don't think most provide any transportation, but I have no personal experience.

Old 03-05-2018, 12:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,190,361 times
Depends on what your family wants to do. $250-$350 puts you in range of most anywhere...with the exception of Scottsdale...Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert, East Mesa, Queen Creek, Surprise, North Valley, Anthem...they all have ups and downs like anywhere.

Like I said before, if you just search the Phoenix Area sub-forum, there is a ton on information in there.

Old 03-05-2018, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Depends on what your family wants to do. $250-$350 puts you in range of most anywhere...with the exception of Scottsdale...Chandler, Tempe, Gilbert, East Mesa, Queen Creek, Surprise, North Valley, Anthem...they all have ups and downs like anywhere.

Like I said before, if you just search the Phoenix Area sub-forum, there is a ton on information in there.
Sounds good. Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I've asked the mods to move this thread to the Phoenix forum where it belongs.
First, have you ever visited metro Phoenix for any length of time? Uprooting a family sight unseen raises a host of issues.
Thanks for suggesting the Phoenix forum. I wanted to open it to other areas of the state as well, so that's why I posted here. I have not visited Phoenix, only done online research.

I wonder why it strikes you as an odd question since most people are looking to make sure an area will work before actually moving their family there. That's why we ask you who already live there to get your thoughts.

Renting first is a good idea, but moving with kids makes things more complicated.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 03-05-2018, 02:51 PM

26,299 posts, read 49,235,459 times
Thread has been moved to the Phoenix forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:44 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Thanks for suggesting the Phoenix forum. I wanted to open it to other areas of the state as well, so that's why I posted here. I have not visited Phoenix, only done online research.

I wonder why it strikes you as an odd question since most people are looking to make sure an area will work before actually moving their family there. That's why we ask you who already live there to get your thoughts.

Renting first is a good idea, but moving with kids makes things more complicated.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

You didn't say anything in your first post about other parts of the state, you jumped right to Phoenix. No hint that you were looking at any other city or town in Arizona. As this thread is now in the Phoenix forum, if you want to ask about Tucson, or Flagstaff or Prescott areas, there are specific forums for those. For the rest of the state outside the local forums, the Arizona forum works.

Of course people want to be sure an area will work before moving a family there. That's why I actually do not recommend moving here sight unseen with a family. I'm curious as to what made you pick Phoenix in the first place?

It's an odd question because other than an age restricted area, or small pockets of a few of the cities, EVERY place in the Valley is a "good place to raise a family" - people have been doing that for decades.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
You didn't say anything in your first post about other parts of the state, you jumped right to Phoenix. No hint that you were looking at any other city or town in Arizona. As this thread is now in the Phoenix forum, if you want to ask about Tucson, or Flagstaff or Prescott areas, there are specific forums for those. For the rest of the state outside the local forums, the Arizona forum works.
I posted on Arizona hoping to get more input on all areas of the state. Now that the post is moved, I'll just wait to get more feedback from people here.

Quote:
I'm curious as to what made you pick Phoenix in the first place?
I mentioned Phoenix because I've done more research on the area, but was hoping the Arizona natives could shed more light on all areas.

Quote:
It's an odd question because other than an age restricted area, or small pockets of a few of the cities, EVERY place in the Valley is a "good place to raise a family" - people have been doing that for decades.
I agree you can raise a family anywhere, but I doubt all areas are the same in terms of safety, amenities, other families, fun places for kids, education of adult population, great schools, etc. I want to pinpoint the great areas.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:56 AM

39,143 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
I am applying for online jobs so should be able to work from anywhere. Still, I don't want to be super far from nice attractions, hospitals, etc. So that's why I still want to factor the commute.
These amenities are available all over the metro area. It's like a big rubber suburbia stamp was placed all over the map. One part looks pretty much like another and has the same kinds of things. The older parts (1990-2005) have more, the newer areas are catching up fast and have all the latest trends in home styles, restaurant chains, shopping outlets, landscape and they look fresher as well. Areas built up until the 80s tend to be in decline now though that is not a hard and fast rule.

Old 03-06-2018, 11:25 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,129,655 times
Quote:
Hello to all,

We are a family with two kids 10 and 7 looking to move near Phoenix from Pittsburgh, PA. What are the best places to live in terms of education, safety, affordable house prices, kid attractions, amenities, diverse, commute times to the city, some greenery :-) ? I've heard of Gilbert and Chandler but, any others?

Regarding education specifically, I'm confused because around Pittsburgh, suburb kids go to their designated school district unless you're sending them to private which is very expensive. Most people with kids make sure they buy a home where the good districts are. There are many good ones to choose from. It seems like in AZ you choose schools? Is there a website with SCHOOL DISTRICT rankings where I can compare? Are charters part of the public school system and how can I find rankings? Is bus transportation to school included?

How pricey are the private schools? What about kids that need supports for ADHD and special needs, are schools supportive?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
With all due respect, have you looked at any real estate listings? If you had, I think you'd realize that you need to add about $100k minimum to your budget. Also, you mention "commute times" but no reference to where. You may want to include that.
How do you know what his/her budget is because I don't see where they listed it anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area