Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2018, 06:29 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,820,351 times

Advertisements

Considering sending a naive 19 year old there for an 8 week course starting in mid May. Just trying to get an idea what the area around there is like, in terms of safety. Kid is not street smart. I need this info to help me in making a decision about housing - whether to use dorms, or summer sublet nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 08:57 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Safety is pretty good. Lots of partiers and homeless, though, if that bothers you. Dorms are most likely going to be very noisy, as ASU has a bad reputation for being a party campus.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:43 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,545,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Safety is pretty good. Lots of partiers and homeless, though, if that bothers you. Dorms are most likely going to be very noisy, as ASU has a bad reputation for being a party campus.

Oh, this is such old news. ASU has been fallng down the "party school" rankings for years now. For eight weeks, the dorm is a much better choice. Since it's not during the regular school year, will be much more peaceful, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Considering sending a naive 19 year old there for an 8 week course starting in mid May. Just trying to get an idea what the area around there is like, in terms of safety. Kid is not street smart. I need this info to help me in making a decision about housing - whether to use dorms, or summer sublet nearby.

For eight weeks, use a dorm. Much less hassle, safe, more support. Some of the areas off the campus but close to the university may not be the best for a non-street smart naïve 19 year old. Best to avoid having to sort that out.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,820,351 times
Thanks, we'll plan on the dorms.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:07 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Oh, this is such old news. ASU has been fallng down the "party school" rankings for years now.
I didn't say it was the "top party school in the nation", did I? I know it held that title long ago, but there is still plenty of mass partying going on over there.

Old 03-09-2018, 09:59 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I didn't say it was the "top party school in the nation", did I? I know it held that title long ago, but there is still plenty of mass partying going on over there.
As there is at every large university. ASU is hardly unique in that regard, to the point that it's not even worth pointing out.

Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,987,476 times
++ on the Dorm recommendation. It will also put your daughter in contact with more people her age, where subletting might isolate her more. Dorm area is safe, though has others have pointed out there are sketchters coming and going but they generally know better than messing with students. Plus there fast food places around and it is close to campus.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:37 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,659,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Oh, this is such old news. ASU has been fallng down the "party school" rankings for years now. For eight weeks, the dorm is a much better choice. Since it's not during the regular school year, will be much more peaceful, too.

For eight weeks, use a dorm. Much less hassle, safe, more support. Some of the areas off the campus but close to the university may not be the best for a non-street smart naïve 19 year old. Best to avoid having to sort that out.
I agree about using the dorm. ASU has changed in recent years. The level of academic rigor has gone up and new students should stay near campus to utilize advising, tutors, the library, etc.

Back in the 80s ASU was often the "backup" choice for many of the stronger HS teens applying to college. The preference for the elite HS seniors (e.g. Boys/Girls State) was to go out-of-state like the Ivy League, Stanford, etc. So, ASU was considered an "easy" in-state school for 2nd tier applicants from HS. ASU was the "backup" choice in case the Ivy League Type did not admit or there wasn't enough financial aid.

It's not like that anymore. ASU is very hard and a Public Ivy at this point. Expect a lot of work in a short 8 weeks, Since the 80s, the school's departments, stature, and influx of quality applicants have really grown high. A summer in organic chemistry or upper division calculus will be very rigorous. There is also a new pattern of elite in-state students who simply want to go to a public university to save money at the undergraduate level.

Since the 80s, the Ivy League Types have gotten ridiculously expensive. Is it really worth it to shell out an extra 25 to 40 grand per year just for the Ivy League as an undergraduate? For example, many of the elite students who could easily go to an Ivy League instead go to ASU as undergraduates and finish early with community college credits earned in HS. A lot of them enter as sophomores. Then some of them wait until graduate school to go out-of-state, which is better actually than the "80s" mindset of an Ivy League focus at age 17.

As for housing, there are many options along University Ave on the east side, across the lake on Scottsdale/Rural Road by Papago Park, and the Metro Rail goes from Central Phoenix to Mesa which gives more options. A lot of students live along that Metro Rail because it has several stops on or near campus.

But given the rigor of a summer course I would recommend living on campus. It's not an "easy party school" which is often the perception. There is a lot of partying on Mill Ave. But those students who do that excessively usually wind up on academic probation or on the police report.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:44 AM

39,149 posts, read 51,432,240 times
There is very little for 19 year olds on Mill Avenue (the college town street) as drinking age restrictions are enforced and outside of that, Mill is little but a couple restaurants and tee shirt shops. She will find more to do, make more friends, and enjoy her stay more in a dorm. ASU has some fancy dorms too, depending on where they are. It's not like back in the day.

Either way, the area is safe and you don't need "street smarts" but just common sense to avoid trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area