Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 10:14 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
Arizona is the number one gun friendly state in the usa, so understand that there are alot of guns and gun owners everywhere in arizona
Are you aware how offensive your comment is? Gun owners != "shootings". Criminals = "shootings".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 07:10 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,456,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatie3 View Post
It wasn’t me who decided there were “shootings.” My realtor said that, literally, about certain downtown areas. Her word “shootings.”
This sounds like a sign that your realtor was trying to steer you toward neighborhoods that she likes better or finds it easier to sell houses in, as opposed to an informed opinion based on crime statistics. As others have pointed out, Willo is not particularly violent. In fact, even Downtown Phoenix does not have a particularly high rate of violent crime compared to most of the metropolitan area.

Many people moving to Phoenix choose a realtor first and then let that realtor steer them towards favorite neighborhoods. In your case, it might be better to choose the neighborhood and then to find a realtor that knows that area well. In a vast metropolitan area like Phoenix, most realtors have a geographic area that is their speciality.

Old 03-12-2018, 07:55 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Are you aware how offensive your comment is? Gun owners != "shootings". Criminals = "shootings".
are you aware of how offensive your "interpretation" of my statement is to legal, law abiding gun owners?
I never said gun owners = shootings, or anything of the sort; Obviously, thats YOUR perceptions,

your shouldnt read things into peoples comments that werent actually stated..

Old 03-12-2018, 08:41 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,974,454 times
Quote:
are you aware of how offensive your "interpretation" of my statement is to legal, law abiding gun owners?
I never said gun owners = shootings, or anything of the sort
And yet you insisted your comment was totally relevant to the original posting and accused another poster of stalking you. Can't have it both ways.

Quote:
Obviously, thats YOUR perceptions, your shouldnt read things into peoples comments that werent actually stated..
My perception is that most of the time you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you should learn more about the culture of the place you moved to. Just a thought.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:37 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,178,942 times
I just want to make one more comment about this post. In your original entry, you commented about safety and used Boston as an example of a safe city. I like Boston as much as anyone, but when you review crime stats I think that you will find that Phoenix is just as safe as Boston, maybe safer. Phoenix is over 2.5 times larger than Boston, so naturally raw numbers are going to be higher. But if you compare stats based on the number of crimes per 100.000 people, Phoenix actually shows to be safer than Boston.

FBI statistics show that in 2015 Boston had a ratio of 725.69 violent crimes per 100,000 people vs Phoenix which had 571.89 violent crimes per 100,000 people.

I know that statistics do not mean a whole lot when someone is attacking you, but because of the larger population in Phoenix statistically, you are less likely to get attacked in Phoenix. I will also go out on a limb here and say that a majority of Phoenix violent crimes are confined to certain areas (I am sure that is true in Boston as well). So if you avoid certain high crime areas you will likely be OK.

In summary, perception can be a funny thing. We really need to stop treating opinion as fact.

Old 03-12-2018, 11:48 AM

499 posts, read 471,603 times
My brother has lived in the Willo area since the 1990s, and loves it. There is a strong neighborhood feel, the light rail is a one-minute walk from his house, and there are always interesting parades, street parties and other community events. You will be a very short distance to the Phoenix Public Library, the Heard Museum, the Children's Museum, etc. as well as Encanto Park, all of which are great for the "tots."

Old 03-12-2018, 11:50 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,922,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

My perception is that most of the time you have no idea what you're talking about. Maybe you should learn more about the culture of the place you moved to. Just a thought.
Congratulations, "Fluffy"

Resorting to insults is always indicative of an indefensible or inaccurate position..

Old 03-12-2018, 11:56 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,969,862 times
Quote:
but I have a bunch of little tots
"Hey, Pedro... are you gonna eat your tots?" - Napoleon Dynamite

Old 03-12-2018, 12:17 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,651,119 times
Quote:
Congratulations, "Fluffy"

Resorting to insults is always indicative of an indefensible or inaccurate position..
Oh come on. You must be kidding. I questioned the point of randomly inserting gun ownership statistics when the point was about “shootings”. To that, you called me a creep. So, does the same hold true for yourself?

So let’s drop the nonsense, what was your point if it’s not that gun ownership=shootings. I don’t see how one could draw any other conclusion based on what YOU posted.

FWIW, Willo is a nice, safe area regardless of random information about gun ownership statewide.

Old 03-12-2018, 02:41 PM

90 posts, read 69,571 times
Quote:
Hello,
I’m set to soon move to Phoenix for my husband’s career. He loves his new job there but...
I’m originally an east coaster. I like walking and being in cities..safe cities like Boston and are European cities made for walking around. I hate being in cars! I hate freeways! I know why am I moving to Phoenix? I love my husband! I walked around Willo and the people seemed really friendly but..there didnt seem to be that much in terms of a walkable restaurant district. What about parks? What is accessible by foot? How do you like living there? I noticed some neighborhood watch signs and that concerned me...I’m not used to western downtowns with...shootings...I’ve got small children. One plus was I loved the interiors of the homes. Easy Valley was all carpeting plus huge 2 story foyers...ewe...
This is my biggest complaint about Phoenix. I used to live/work downtown in a lively city. I would walk 30 miles a week going to baseball games or out to bars after work. Here, everything is a drive, and you're already tired by the time you fight traffic to get there. It is not optimal at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area