Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 11:15 AM

169 posts, read 198,408 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I’m set to soon move to Phoenix for my husband’s career. He loves his new job there but...
I’m originally an east coaster. I like walking and being in cities..safe cities like Boston and are European cities made for walking around. I hate being in cars! I hate freeways! I know why am I moving to Phoenix? I love my husband! I walked around Willo and the people seemed really friendly but..there didnt seem to be that much in terms of a walkable restaurant district. What about parks? What is accessible by foot? How do you like living there? I noticed some neighborhood watch signs and that concerned me...I’m not used to western downtowns with...shootings...I’ve got small children. One plus was I loved the interiors of the homes. Easy Valley was all carpeting plus huge 2 story foyers...ewe...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2018, 11:24 AM

Moderator can this be moved to Phoenix subf I made a mistake

Old 03-11-2018, 02:28 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,012,208 times
Moved thread to Phoenix forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:38 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
I didn't see where your budget was discussed and that could make a huge difference in where you live.

Your question was about Willo, but just to the west of Willo is the Enanto/Palmcroft district which has a lot of really nice older historic homes. Encanto Park is one of Phoenix's largest and nicest parks. It could be an option for you.

Also, I like the N. Central area of Phoenix, north of Camelback and between 7th St. and 7th Ave. You will find some nice homes in this area and it is a very nice walkable area.

Finally, do not discount Phoenix/Scottsdale along the Camelback corridor. You will find some classic ranch homes and a nice neighborhood atmosphere.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:40 PM

Budget below 550k.
Thanks so much for your thoughtful answer.

Old 03-11-2018, 04:55 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,739,868 times
I live in Willo. I am in fact block watch captain for our street. Block watch is pretty common in Phoenix. There are various reports of minor property crime here, nothing significant.

Encanto Park is a block and a half from our house, a major city park with picnic facilities, two golf courses, a lagoon, a kiddie land amusement park, tennis, volleyball, racquetball, basketball, swimming pool, fishing, ballfields...

Adjacent to Willo there are restaurants along Central Avenue, Thomas Road and on the corner of 7th Avenue and McDowell. They range from fine dining to fast food. Some restaurants unfortunately cater to the lunch crowd and close in the evening. There are also 3 light rail stops along Central (Thomas, Encanto, McDowell) that bring the restaurants of uptown, downtown and Tempe into range.

Encanto Palmcroft is a bit more expensive and farther from Central making it a bit tougher in terms of walkable restaurants and the light rail. You'll find some homes in Willo, and to a lesser extent Encanto Palmcroft, that fit your budget.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:22 PM

That’s great to here about the park. Sounds amazing. I’ll have to explore more when I’m out there again. I’m not sure about the restaurants, I might not have been looking at the right part. That’s good to hear about safety too. I loved the interiors of the houses I saw there. Really well done. Good taste. And like I said the people in the neighborhood seemed friendly.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:09 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyKatie3 View Post
I’m not used to western downtowns with...shootings...I’ve got small children.
I've lived in downtown Phoenix since '13. This shooting epidemic you hint at is news to me.

Old 03-11-2018, 07:10 PM

It wasn’t me who decided there were “shootings.” My realtor said that, literally, about certain downtown areas. Her word “shootings.”

Old 03-11-2018, 07:15 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
Arizona is the number one gun friendly state in the usa, so understand that there are alot of guns and gun owners everywhere in arizona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area