Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 08:48 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,997,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd be more concerned with those "flipper grey" homes that are currently out there then the ones you presented. Personally I like natural Hickory (with knots) for cabinets and quartz counters...
Heck to the yes. They're all over Old Town and they all look the same inside and out. Barn doors, painted cinder blocks, you name it. There's no charm, no soul. Lipstick on a pig, if you will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 09:07 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,706,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd be more concerned with those "flipper grey" homes that are currently out there then the ones you presented. Personally I like natural Hickory (with knots) for cabinets and quartz counters...
I’d rather have white and gray than the funeral home look. I agree that the white/gray flips are far too common to be anything special.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
That's why you make a tasteful kitchen from the get-go. Not something that's currently "trendy". That's why all these retro homes are so sought after now... they were designed properly from the start, and over time still look great. Its like cars... old classics are just worth more and are more desirable than the crap kicked out today because they were done properly from the start, and have stood the test of time. They aren't "throw away" cars like todays plastic pieces of trendy garbage.
Sure, but again, there’s no way to know if what we consider tasteful now will remain that way. I’m sure hideous cherry cabinets and green granite as seen in the pics I posted would have been a safe bet at one time. White cabinets have been popular for a while but now could be seen as trendy.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Sure, but again, there’s no way to know if what we consider tasteful now will remain that way. I’m sure hideous cherry cabinets and green granite as seen in the pics I posted would have been a safe bet at one time. White cabinets have been popular for a while but now could be seen as trendy.
Cherry wood and green granite look nice, just not in Phoenix. Many luxury homes in IL had that look, and still do. They have that deep woods/English countryside/smoking jacket vibe that I dig, especially on a snowy day with nothing to do, all rich and cozy feeling. It just doesn't work here in Phoenix.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Cherry wood and green granite look nice, just not in Phoenix. Many luxury homes in IL had that look, and still do. They have that deep woods/English countryside/smoking jacket vibe that I dig, especially on a snowy day with nothing to do, all rich and cozy feeling. It just doesn't work here in Phoenix.
It screams 90s. I don’t think most people want that heavy look anymore regardless of locale. Homes have become far more light and casual. Look at the $2m+ homes selling in Arcadia and let me know if you see anything that remotely looks like that. You probably won’t unless it’s marketed as a fixer.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
It screams 90s. I don’t think most people want that heavy look anymore regardless of locale. Homes have become far more light and casual. Look at the $2m+ homes selling in Arcadia and let me know if you see anything that remotely looks like that. You probably won’t unless it’s marketed as a fixer.
90's? Maybe in Phoenix. It all depends on the area of the country. The look in the link below doesn't work in Phoenix any better than a Santa Fe-style home does in Detroit.

I love the dark, English smoking lounge look and feel, especially with the cherry wood ceilings. It lends an aura of sophistication and richness.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/534661786983988503/

Now THIS horrible trend is tacky and is "hip" right now, but I guarantee will not stand the test of time. 10 years from now the owners will be kicking themselves for doing such horrible things.
https://www.atomic-ranch.com/archite...y-curb-appeal/

Old 04-05-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
90's? Maybe in Phoenix. It all depends on the area of the country. The look in the link below doesn't work in Phoenix any better than a Santa Fe-style home does in Detroit.

I love the dark, English smoking lounge look and feel, especially with the cherry wood ceilings. It lends an aura of sophistication and richness.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/534661786983988503/

Now THIS horrible trend is tacky and is "hip" right now, but I guarantee will not stand the test of time. 10 years from now the owners will be kicking themselves for doing such horrible things.
https://www.atomic-ranch.com/archite...y-curb-appeal/
That's cool for a den or an office, but I can't imagine such a dark and heavy kitchen.

I agree, those rainbow homes look stupid.

Here's a blend of historic and modern done well:

Old 04-05-2018, 11:16 AM

Not too bad.

Ever check out this site? Its full of MCM goodness.
https://www.modernbuildinganddesign.com/

Old 04-05-2018, 11:21 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,211,959 times
Quote:
That's cool for a den or an office, but I can't imagine such a dark and heavy kitchen.

I agree, those rainbow homes look stupid.

Here's a blend of historic and modern done well:

Looks very Danish Modern. I noticed white walls are very in lately. I used to hate white walls but like the way they look lately. Love the brick wall. That house would sell fast.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Looks very Danish Modern. I noticed white walls are very in lately. I used to hate white walls but like the way they look lately. Love the brick wall. That house would sell fast.
I do too. That one sold in September for $662k in Coronado. It was under contract in a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area