Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Not all private schools are religious schools.

As for your "A-Rated" schools, only 34% of 8th graders in public schools in Arizona are proficient in math, national average is 33% with the best at 50%; only 71% have a basic understanding of math, national average is 69% with the best at 83%. For reading we are at only 30% proficient in reading, national average is 35% and the top is 51%; for basic understanding of reading Arizona is only at 75%, national is 75% and the top is 91%. Large city public schools do even worse. Best you can hope for from your "A-Rated" school is your kinds will have a basic understanding of math and reading.

To compare, national average proficiency in math is 33% for public schools and 47% in private schools; similarly for reading national average is 35%, and private schools are at 57%. If you look at the basic and advanced understanding levels it is also a huge difference between the two across the board. Without a doubt private schools, on average, do it better than public schools.

https://www.nationsreportcard.gov/
Private schools don't do better, they choose better. They don't accept academically or developmentally difficult kids. They demand parent participation well beyond tuition payment. If kids act up or don't make the grades, they get kicked out. They select the select. Hell, public schools could do just as well if they could get away with that. In fact they do. Four of the top rated schools in the US are in Arizona and all of them are public (district) schools. They too are selective. The trick is not private tuition, but cherry picking students and then bragging on your success.

High performance charters are also public schools, something that is often overlooked when talking about public education in Arizona. There too, though, the model is selective enrollment policies.

As for all the numbers you bandy; it's averages. Your numbers don't lie but they mislead. It is entirely possible for kids to receive a quality education in and perform near the top nationally in Arizona public schools with the singular requirement that their parents live in a tony neighborhood. Schools in affluent areas here perform far better than ones in poorer areas. Parenthetically, that is no different in Arizona than it is anywhere in the United States. My own kids, for example, took honors classes, AP classes, and enrolled concurrently in community college courses while in high school, completing nearly two years of college core classes in the process. That cost money though - about four hundred dollars for each class. That kind of option may not be possible for people not as fortunate as others. But it is within reach of affluent suburbanites. Then there is the cultural aspect. In wealthy neighborhoods, educational attainment is a shared peer value among students. In poorer ones, being an A student does not garner as much respect as other measures of success. So affluent kids do better in school, go on to whatever university they want and generally complete their degrees and enjoy successful careers.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-02-2018 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 08:33 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
<yawn> Not buying it......Next...
I looked into it and there are 1.8k but it is a very private group so I can't find it TulsaGirls or that stupid parent of six or worse fill that group. It is too much work to infiltrate them to find anything so I stopped. I think it got bigger due to a video of a purple dolt not letting the #RedForEd supporter explain why "they weren't upholding their contract." The #Restored person was trying to explain contracts are two ways and for years districts have only offers the bare minimum due to funding.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 AM

33 posts, read 16,727 times
Quote:
<yawn> Not buying it......Next...
You better !! there were counter protesting yesterday, Get the word out and join Purple for Parents Facebook & twitter

Old 05-02-2018, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
The big question when it comes to the argument over school performance,teacher performance and student learning is this:
Did schools do their job 20,30 or 40 years ago? If so, what was done different then than now and how do we fix those things to make it work again? Were teachers more educated back then? Was more expected of students and/or teachers back then? Was the Administration different or did D.C. have less input/control back then?

One MUST identify the the issues, rewind back to a time when schools worked as they should and then figure out where they went wrong since then and then FIX those issues.

So far for the most part all you hear is very general complaints and wild accusations mostly levied at teachers.

I've got to think theres wayyyy more to it than just that because if it was that simple it would've been fixed by now...

Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
You better !! there were counter protesting yesterday, Get the word out and join Purple for Parents Facebook & twitter
Sorry, the color Purple is already taken (by "Purple for Pimps" I believe) which explains why it's gotten no traction whatsoever. FYI, a one person protest won't change anything...

https://www.facebook.com/Purple-Pimps-27911944542/

Old 05-02-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The big question when it comes to the argument over school performance,teacher performance and student learning is this:
Did schools do their job 20,30 or 40 years ago? If so, what was done different then than now and how do we fix those things to make it work again? Were teachers more educated back then? Was more expected of students and/or teachers back then? Was the Administration different or did D.C. have less input/control back then?

One MUST identify the the issues, rewind back to a time when schools worked as they should and then figure out where they went wrong since then and then FIX those issues.

So far for the most part all you hear is very general complaints and wild accusations mostly levied at teachers.

I've got to think theres wayyyy more to it than just that because if it was that simple it would've been fixed by now...
Red For Ed is not for education, their only using it as way to push their agenda , Noah from Red for ED leader has been exposed that he want's gun control, more gender education etc.

Get the word out and join Purple for Parents on Facebook & Twitter

Old 05-02-2018, 08:53 AM

I found two videos from Facebook for them. One was promoting vouchers along with the typical #MAGA staple, an American flag. Which I've said is all about the problem isn't vouchers but the fact they typically got to students who have more well off parents. We need better oversight for that. We also need better controls for charter schools too. Too many fail in AZ due to the lowest barriers to entry in the state.

Old 05-02-2018, 08:57 AM

Another group is forming Green For Greed

Old 05-02-2018, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Red For Ed is not for education, their only using it as way to push their agenda , Noah from Red for ED leader has been exposed that he want's gun control, more gender education etc.

Get the word out and join Purple for Parents on Facebook & Twitter
I would if they weren't garden variety Republican fixes for education that were tried for AZ and don't make a damn dent into the problem. The problem is vouchers haven't gone to Miles Morales or even Peter Parkers, instead they often go to Tony Stark types.

Also why can't people hold other political views and only fight for one issue at a time. Many #RedForEd teachers actually voted Trump or previously voted Ducey. I got an idea, stop spreading lies.

Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Another group is forming Green For Greed
Sounds less like the teachers and more like the state legislature more than teachers if you ask me. My father was saying how state politicians are notoriously corrupt and paid for. When they don't do what their sugar daddy wants, they are tossed aside for the next fool who they can dress up to hide them being a tool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area