Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 12:44 PM

90 posts, read 113,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
There are no school districts in Sun City, so it would make no sense to impose school taxes on anybody living in a community where there are no schools to fund.

This home is in a 'non age restricted area' of Sun City. How does that work with taxes?

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Sun-City/2.../home/28249593
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2018, 01:31 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Please don't even suggest taxing age restricted communities like Sun City. They are in place for many reasons: one of which is the absence of school taxes, which many older people prefer since they are on fixed incomes and don't have children in the system. There are no school districts in Sun City, so it would make no sense to impose school taxes on anybody living in a community where there are no schools to fund.
I agree 100%, I was just making a point. And just to be clear not all age restricted communities are exempt from paying school related property taxes, Sun City Grand does pay into the Dysart school district (which is why they lost their override a few years back), Trilogy in Vistancia pays into Peoria Unified, and I'd bet Pebble Creek does though I haven't checked to be sure. I'm pretty sure Sun City and Sun City West are the only areas that are exempt.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:33 PM

169 posts, read 198,615 times
I’m really not sure about age restricted communities ‘existing for a number of reasons including exemption from school taxes.’ My understanding was this explicit exception to the fair housing laws is allowed only so that communities can provide dedicated facilities for the needs of elderly. They are extremely lenient in what they’ll count (e.g. tennis court, pool) but some sort of arguably for the needs of elderly facility is a sine qua non.

Old 03-26-2018, 01:36 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitshipp View Post
This home is in a 'non age restricted area' of Sun City. How does that work with taxes?

https://www.redfin.com/AZ/Sun-City/2.../home/28249593
Confusing as hell to me because that's not located in the true constraints of Sun City. The map shows it's closer to Sun City West, but not situated in any defined municipality (Surprise or Peoria), so I'm not understanding why the address would be Sun City. If it's in a non age restricted area, the 55+ rules wouldn't apply. If it's in a school district, it would be subject to school taxes. According to Google Maps, the actual Sun City is confined to these boundaries:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...4d-112.2718239

Old 03-26-2018, 01:45 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Confusing as hell to me because that's not located in the true constraints of Sun City. The map shows it's closer to Sun City West, but not situated in any defined municipality (Surprise or Peoria), so I'm not understanding why the address would be Sun City. If it's in a non age restricted area, the 55+ rules wouldn't apply. If it's in a school district, it would be subject to school taxes. According to Google Maps, the actual Sun City is confined to these boundaries:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Su...4d-112.2718239
That area is Crossriver and it isn't in any city limits yet, it will likely be annexed into Peoria eventually. As for the mailing address it is just assigned to Sun City by the post office, because of their assigned zip but that will change once annexed. Looking at their tax docs they pay into Peoria Unified and they use Peoria Schools, Peoria is about to build them a bridge to the east so they have better access to their assigned schools actually.

Old 03-26-2018, 02:27 PM

90 posts, read 113,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
That area is Crossriver and it isn't in any city limits yet, it will likely be annexed into Peoria eventually. As for the mailing address it is just assigned to Sun City by the post office, because of their assigned zip but that will change once annexed. Looking at their tax docs they pay into Peoria Unified and they use Peoria Schools, Peoria is about to build them a bridge to the east so they have better access to their assigned schools actually.

Thanks! That is good to know. I heard that bridge has been in the works for a while but it looks like it's actually making headway.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:11 AM

4,468 posts, read 10,614,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Are we actually hurting for teachers? I know the schools around me are fine. I don't see salary's rising until we are in desperate need for them, and with the growing population there are plenty of people just thankful for having a job.
Yes, we are. There is a billboard on I-10 practically begging for teachers.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times
I thought the AZ Lotteries were funding the schools in AZ. Not true?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,936,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Apparently teachers in West Phoenix and Glendale are staging walk-outs to protest their low pay. While I am 100% in agreement that they need raises and have been on their side, I think they're going about this the wrong way. Walking out on kids is going to do nothing but anger the parents (voters) and the teachers #1 priority is supposed to be the kids, not their salary. They knew what the salaries would be when they signed up for the job, and many that I have spoken to gladly take the lower pay for all of the weeks off. While I do agree with their message, I don't like the method. Kids have to miss school and parents need to re-arrange their schedules last minute.

https://www.abc15.com/news/region-ph...y-over-low-pay
Bull****. They deserve better pay and this is how they're going about it. Nothing wrong with a little civil disobedience.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:35 PM

720 posts, read 734,167 times
Well I got a text just now - late night - that AZ teachers announced school walkout beginning Thurs Apr 26.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area