Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2018, 03:18 AM

357 posts, read 222,229 times

Advertisements

Pay for performance or they should not get anything just like the kids get that they dont manage to teach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 04:22 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times
They pay is very low and therefore other conditions will be bad as well. I wouldn't consider teaching in AZ.

As far as "pay for performance" a LOT of a student's progress or lack of is related to his/her motivation and their parents providing a supporting environment.

I used to teach overseas.

Old 04-20-2018, 07:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
When teachers choose their profession they do it knowing they will never get rich on their salary. Like any other profession they need to accept this or work toward moving into administration. Sorry I do not believe in teachers depriving their students of school because they feel cheated.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoochaz View Post
Well I got a text just now - late night - that AZ teachers announced school walkout beginning Thurs Apr 26.
They have no choice at this point having painted themselves into a corner. If they didn't follow through on their threats they would've been seen as weak and unorganized to be ignored from then on.

I think they're doing the correct thing given all the circumstances involved.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
When teachers choose their profession they do it knowing they will never get rich on their salary. Like any other profession they need to accept this or work toward moving into administration. Sorry I do not believe in teachers depriving their students of school because they feel cheated.
Please tell me in which profession you are expected to spend a portion of your paycheck to subsidize your employer? Just one teacher I know spent $1500+ last year to buy supplies for her classroom, I've heard larger figures batted about from time to time.
It's not "just" about their paychecks, it's also about being able to provide a top notch education to the children and having the appropriate tools to do so.

One example, having 10-20 year old text books that are falling apart to teach from is NOT having the appropriate tools. Not having enough text books for the whole class is NOT having the appropriate tools.

Schools not being heated or cooled properly or that are simply unsafe to occupy is NOT having the appropriate tools.
It's about much more than just teacher pay although that is certainly part of the issue...

Old 04-20-2018, 08:52 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They have no choice at this point having painted themselves into a corner. If they didn't follow through on their threats they would've been seen as weak and unorganized to be ignored from then on.

I think they're doing the correct thing given all the circumstances involved.
Ducey came through with a proposal but his funding sources were gutting everything else that is also short funded already to pay for it. Arizona needs to face up to the fact that being last in education funding and teacher pay is not a badge of honor. It is devastating to our chances at attracting new businesses and entrepreneurial startups. It hurts our property values. If it means new taxes then so be it. We will all benefit more than the few bucks we will have to chip in. #RedforEd

Old 04-20-2018, 09:02 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Apparently you do believe in a state getting sued and losing a court case over 20 years ago for underfunding school maintenance budgets by over 1 billion dollars and still having it unsettled.

You don't think it deprived children when education funding is cut 36.6% between 2008 and 2015 ( the largest cut in the nation)

You don't think it harms students by not being able to attract and retain qualified professionals?

If you are really concerned about the students then you should that the students for standing strong and pushing the issue to support their education

Old 04-20-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ducey came through with a proposal but his funding sources were gutting everything else that is also short funded already to pay for it. Arizona needs to face up to the fact that being last in education funding and teacher pay is not a badge of honor. It is devastating to our chances at attracting new businesses and entrepreneurial startups. It hurts our property values. If it means new taxes then so be it. We will all benefit more than the few bucks we will have to chip in. #RedforEd
Hopefully they will do better with their (the teachers) messaging which is the big part of their issue right now. The public sees prop 123 and sales tax increases and believe that those few million should've solved all the problems and that teachers must be greedy to demand more.
The problem with all that is exactly how much made it to where it was promised to go? Same with the dumb arse lottery money.
There needs to be a forensic audit of the State school system to identify exactly where funds are going and where they are most needed with a rebalancing every year or two. Bloat and waste needs to be identified and cut.

Where I'm at a loss is what's gone wrong starting in about the mid 80's on. When I was in the public school system (pre 1975) I didn't ever hear teachers complain about pay, there were current textbooks and old torn up ones were trashed.
The facilities were kept up, everything worked and parents were not expected to foot the bill for busing or field trips (except for entry fees to a Zoo or something) and were not charged extra for sports or music programs or any other elective program. We had auto,metals and wood shops fully stocked with the tools needed. We even had Drivers Education class.

What the hell happened?

Old 04-20-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Apparently you do believe in a state getting sued and losing a court case over 20 years ago for underfunding school maintenance budgets by over 1 billion dollars and still having it unsettled.

You don't think it deprived children when education funding is cut 36.6% between 2008 and 2015 ( the largest cut in the nation)

You don't think it harms students by not being able to attract and retain qualified professionals?

If you are really concerned about the students then you should that the students for standing strong and pushing the issue to support their education
Here's what should scare every single adult in this state and motivate them to fix this situation. These kids now going through the school system here will be the uneducated leaders of tomorrow.

THAT alone should scare the snot out of every voter no matter what stripe.

Old 04-20-2018, 09:19 AM

975 posts, read 1,404,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Hopefully they will do better with their (the teachers) messaging which is the big part of their issue right now. The public sees prop 123 and sales tax increases and believe that those few million should've solved all the problems and that teachers must be greedy to demand more.
The problem with all that is exactly how much made it to where it was promised to go? Same with the dumb arse lottery money.
There needs to be a forensic audit of the State school system to identify exactly where funds are going and where they are most needed with a rebalancing every year or two. Bloat and waste needs to be identified and cut.

Where I'm at a loss is what's gone wrong starting in about the mid 80's on. When I was in the public school system (pre 1975) I didn't ever hear teachers complain about pay, there were current textbooks and old torn up ones were trashed.
The facilities were kept up, everything worked and parents were not expected to foot the bill for busing or field trips (except for entry fees to a Zoo or something) and were not charged extra for sports or music programs or any other elective program. We had auto,metals and wood shops fully stocked with the tools needed. We even had Drivers Education class.

What the hell happened?
In the 1980s the Republican Party decided that cutting taxes was more important than funding the nation's infrastructure, schools, social safety net, etc. The nationwide Reagan Revolution began.

At both the state and federal level Republicans began to campaign for "tax cuts" and "no new taxes" and consistently were elected and re-elected (especially here in Arizona).

Unfortunately, if you're constantly cutting taxes for a 30 year period eventually you're going to cut services. Even today most Republicans are campaigning on cutting taxes further or pledging to not raise taxes. Now we're at rock bottom where things have been cut to (and in some cases into) the bone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area