Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2018, 12:44 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,741,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The problem is not enough to go around. The schools have to choose to buy tires for the buses, fix the AC, buy/replace chromebooks and tablets (textbooks are so 20th century), deal with skyrocketing health premiums, etc. or give raises - all on $1000 per student less than they had just a few years ago. It's an educational Sophie's choice. Arizona is not some broke state with a declining economy and people moving away. Things are booming again and it is high time we make our schools whole with the growing revenue from that boom.
Yeah. The district I'm working for has a lot of schools and they have OK funding besides teacher pay and support staff pay. I'm sorry but special education paraprofessionals do get paid minimum wage to about a dollar more. Yet districts wonder why they cannot get paraprofessionals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've heard it explained that back in 2009/2010 (ish) everyone took a reduction due to the economy tanking which was fair, the dollars just weren't there. Now that the economy has recovered they should be returned to prior levels.
If they had the money prior to the crash why wouldn't they have it now given the economic growth that's been going on for a few years now?
Yes, many public employees took wage freezes for the years of the recession. Then when skies weren't as cloudy, some jobs got better paid, but others not.

Quote:
Ducey claims they have the money. I saw him on the news this morning. There are legislators though that say otherwise and those who want to put the money into a rainy day fund. What they fail to acknowledge is that it has been raining cats and dogs in education for a decade or more.
I tend to align with the legislators since the economy is somewhat rocky due to issues of the trade wars. I heard from Ken Bennett (Ducey's Republican challenger) that the rainy day fund is needed since that was one of the reasons education took a hit in 2008-9 since Bennett alleges that Gov. Napolitano took too much from it to fund "social programs." I say legalize pot and tax it explicitly for education and use some of the fund, as best of both worlds without hurting the rest of the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I understand all that. Thanks for the explanation on how taxes work. Maybe in your next lesson you can teach me about debt.

I'm all for getting TEACHERS what they deserve. My issue is with this particular strike and the claim that it's a grassroots movement.
The government broke passed Prop 300 with the cuts in education during the Great Recession. Prop 300 was proposition law, a floor for education funding. It led to a lawsuit for breaking the law. Prop 123 saught to end this lawsuit and fund education but was fought by Jeff DeWitt and it was overturned in court. What else could teachers do to get better funding at this point? If it isn't grassroots, what is it?

Last edited by mkpunk; 04-26-2018 at 12:58 PM.. Reason: Heavily edited to include other posts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 01:01 PM

2,769 posts, read 5,686,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
If it isn't grassroots, what is it?
Astroturf.

Old 04-26-2018, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Astroturf.
A nice bon-mart, but what is it if it isn't grassroots?

Old 04-26-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Or it just might be an effort by those on the left (since the first four states: WV, KY, OK and AZ all went for Trump) to try and sow discord to help their political movement since they were so thoroughly embarrassed by losing the last POTUS election?

Will we see these same people protesting the saddling of their children with unsustainable debt ala, CA, IL, CT, NJ, etc. (not to mention the Feds)?
I'm anti-Trump, don't get me wrong but I would not think it is a discord. It is because of Trump. Not Trump policy, but the Trump wave itself. I don't know of any Soros backing or similar Democrat donors. If you have proof, I'll gladly say believe you more, but you haven't.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:06 PM

38,971 posts, read 50,909,546 times
I'm listening to Jan Brewer, ex-gov, who is not one of my favorites. I have to hand it to her though. She is all but calling the governor a bumbling fool, and the state legislature a bunch of bums who won't do their jobs and fix what we all know is broken. Good for her!

Old 04-26-2018, 03:14 PM

7,811 posts, read 4,521,762 times
Quote:
I'm listening to Jan Brewer, ex-gov, who is not one of my favorites. I have to hand it to her though. She is all but calling the governor a bumbling fool, and the state legislature a bunch of bums who won't do their jobs and fix what we all know is broken. Good for her!
Nicely put. I've got a hunch this will not work out so well for the political establishment.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:15 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,884,473 times
I wasnt here when she was Gov, but I will say that current gov dooshey seems like a real dolt..
his self serving commercial blitz, about how much he loves the teachers is sickening already..

Old 04-26-2018, 03:23 PM

6,401 posts, read 8,924,637 times
This is a great opportunity for parents with the ability to do so to begin homeschooling their children.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,897,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I wasnt here when she was Gov, but I will say that current gov dooshey seems like a real dolt..
his self serving commercial blitz, about how much he loves the teachers is sickening already..
His opponent is perfectly poised because of this exact demonstration. He’s an educator himself.

David Garcia. https://dg4az.com/meet-david/

Ducey (and more importantly his donors) are trying to get ahead of this teacher issue because it will cost him his job. I’ve noticed that some local news anchors (namely Fox10 and KTAR) have started coming out against RedforEd. Bizarrely Kari Lake is trying to make it some underground marijuana legalization conspiracy.

Old 04-26-2018, 04:30 PM

38,971 posts, read 50,909,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
His opponent is perfectly poised because of this exact demonstration. He’s an educator himself.

David Garcia. https://dg4az.com/meet-david/

Ducey (and more importantly his donors) are trying to get ahead of this teacher issue because it will cost him his job. I’ve noticed that some local news anchors (namely Fox10 and KTAR) have started coming out against RedforEd. Bizarrely Kari Lake is trying to make it some underground marijuana legalization conspiracy.
I'm surprised Fox 10 isn't running antifa footage yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area