Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2018, 02:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

I'd still love to see a demand for a forensic audit of the lottery funds that were "supposed" to go to the schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 02:57 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'd still love to see a demand for a forensic audit of the lottery funds that were "supposed" to go to the schools...
Absolutely. Add it to the wish list of accounting for all the funds raised in recent bond/overrides.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Absolutely. Add it to the wish list of accounting for all the funds raised in recent bond/overrides.

I read somewhere (didn't follow the headline, and I'm not sure where it was) that it's been discovered that not a dime of lottery funds has gone to K-12 education. I wouldn't be surprised.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:23 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I read somewhere (didn't follow the headline, and I'm not sure where it was) that it's been discovered that not a dime of lottery funds has gone to K-12 education. I wouldn't be surprised.
No surprise there. Lottery money, toll roads with a supposed time limit, bottle bills, stadiums, and now weed, have always been among the types of bs pie in the sky schemes that never pay out what they claim they will pay out. Once a pie gets made, fingers eventually find it.

I wish there were scorecards.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:46 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaGirl2 View Post
I told you the facts Also I'm hear more & more people are making fun on how many overweight teachers their are
These aren't facts, these are alternative facts. Yes parents are mad, but they are short sighted in their frustrations towards teachers too. I saw one on two different news stations about a school district that did a meeting last night. She cited that she is mad that her six children have an issue with going to camp the longer they are out of school. I remember having to miss two days due to vacation as a kid and I've also seen some students miss meaningless days at the end of school too. So I have to ask, why can't she do that? Another cited summer jobs too.

Old 05-01-2018, 03:55 PM

525 posts, read 539,540 times
Agree with this a thousand times over. I also went to private school in AZ and we weren’t rich by any means, but my parents sacrificed because the AZ public school system was crap- and that was in the 70’s and 80’s. No amount of money is going to improve the quality of government education. You are educating thousands of illegals AND feeding them and there is a tremendous amount of waste and mismanagement of funds by administrators. Not to mention lazy parents and administrators who won’t back up their teachers and have the moxie to discipline students for unacceptable behavior. This is why so many charter and private schools exist in AZ. The culture in public school is nothing I want my children exposed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Laziness on the parents' part is the cause of a great deal of the problems with schools and with the way many kids are in general. Too many parents treat public schools as free a free babysitting service, and don't give much thought to the educational quality. Now when the teachers walk out, the lazy parents are frantic because the schools close down and their free daycare is taken away.

Which is exactly why schools shouldn't be run and financed by the government. How many times can I emphasize that when you have government running anything, the costs are usually higher, the effectiveness is usually poorer, and where our tax money goes is highly questionable? People rant and complain all the time about how the government doesn't represent the majority, yet the same people expect the government to provide the children a good education for free. Pathetic!

News flash: many lines of business have underpaid employees. There's an article in the Republic about how call center employees are underpaid. Even team managers in banks & call centers are underpaid. Accountants and bookkeepers are often underpaid. Librarians are often underpaid. Those who serve in the military are often underpaid. The list goes on & on. I don't see any of them walking out on their jobs!

Did you as an educator ever consider working in the private sector where you wouldn't have to be concerned about government funding, and all the other horrible things you have to contend with in the public sector? I can't imagine why anybody would want to work in public education. For that matter, I can't understand why anybody would want to send their kids to public schools. Please don't start in on the lack of affordability of private school. My parents sent me to private school without any government assistance, and they were barely middle class.

Now this is a perfect example of good parenting. Kudos to you, AZ Manager!

Old 05-01-2018, 04:14 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Chandler schools to reopen Thursday. Not sure why not tomorrow, probably because the weather will be too nice and the teachers want the day off.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:19 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Agree with this a thousand times over. I also went to private school in AZ and we weren’t rich by any means, but my parents sacrificed because the AZ public school system was crap- and that was in the 70’s and 80’s. No amount of money is going to improve the quality of government education. You are educating thousands of illegals AND feeding them and there is a tremendous amount of waste and mismanagement of funds by administrators. Not to mention lazy parents and administrators who won’t back up their teachers and have the moxie to discipline students for unacceptable behavior. This is why so many charter and private schools exist in AZ. The culture in public school is nothing I want my children exposed to.
Maybe if they didn't teach fairy tales I would consider private schools. I'll stick with the A-Rated public school my kids go to and let others learn about the fiction book.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:31 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Chandler schools to reopen Thursday. Not sure why not tomorrow, probably because the weather will be too nice and the teachers want the day off.
The legislature is supposed to vote on the bill tomorrow. That is why I expected to be out of work tomorrow again. Dysart Unified has been fairly day to day, partially because Friday and Monday were planned days off to get to 180 days since AZ don't have many weather days.

Old 05-01-2018, 05:57 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
And this is why I'd be wholly against any legalization of Pot being tied to "it's for the kids" (lie) until such a time they prove where all the other "it's for the kids" money went (or more likely,didn't).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area