Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
No. I just wanted to make the two points I made.

I posted things previously on this thread pointing out some people's lack of knowledge about religion. Now though, I don't mind debating religion more. But, I would rather do so on the religion forum.

I'll shut up unless I hear something more stupid than saying churches shouldn't be tax exempt.
Churches should pay taxes like any other business and then take deductions on their charitable activities. What's wrong with that?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 AM

31,077 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I liken the Phoenix Metro area to more like Orange County or San Diego County CA, which tend to be a little on the conservative side but not necessarily Christian Conservative (maybe with a pinch of Texas influence peppered in here, if that makes sense). There's even a large contingent of LDS in those areas (I grew up in Orange County). If you could handle those areas politically, I think you could handle most of the metro area. As a centrist atheist, everyone hates my politics so I just live where I want
^^^Ditto

Old 03-28-2018, 12:27 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,270,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
I'll shut up unless I hear something more stupid than saying churches shouldn't be tax exempt.
Nothing stupid about removing the tax exemption from churches. There are too many of these exemptions as it is. After all, churches are businesses, right? Businesses are subject to taxes, and all religious institutions should be as well. I agree that churches contribute to charitable organizations, and I would much rather have charities provide assistance than the government, but that's not the point. My point was mostly regarding a proposed flat tax where everybody pays the same but reduced rate, including all churches and charities.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:39 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Churches should pay taxes like any other business and then take deductions on their charitable activities. What's wrong with that?
If you tax them, they will deserve, and receive, political representation. They already have enough political clout.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:12 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,921,631 times
fine, let them have the political representation that comes with taxation...why should a multi BILLION dollar operation of any sort be 100% tax exempt?

Old 03-28-2018, 01:16 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Shoot, I lived right on the border of the bible belt, a county with a lot of Christians who would drop enough references to let you know they were Christian, and I never heard anything like what you are describing. At least not all in one conversation. :-)
I call B.S.

Now you have a blessed day.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 03-28-2018 at 01:24 PM..

Old 03-28-2018, 01:41 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,220,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Guns-friendly, yes. Religious, no. Where is your information coming from?
Living here for 25 years.

Old 03-28-2018, 01:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,649,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Living here for 25 years.
Interesting. You're the first person in the whole thread to state that the area is particularly religious. It's also counter to the "study" posted. I don't think your experience is the norm.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM

35 posts, read 41,364 times
What I cant stand is politics. I get so tired of my senior citizen neighbors who stop me every chance they get and want to talk about how much they either love or hate Trump. I hate politics and I avoid it as much as humanly possible. I have my opinions on all the hot button issues of course but I really dont see the point of arguing or trying to "Convert" someone else.

After I just spent 10 hours or more working and all I am trying to do is get the mail and go home to my family or take my kids to the park or run to the convenience store for ice cream, etc. (fill in any number of reasons to leave the house) and my neighbors on either side of me (both of whom are retired white males) stop me in my yard or driveway and want to go on and on and on about Trump or the Democrats...This is what I cant stand. Much like the other contributor who doesn't like sports. We all dislike certain things. For some people I guess its religious topics.

However I smile at my neighbors, I remember that they are both Veterans who served this great country to keep the freedoms that I and mine now posses and enjoy and I bite me lip and I listen for a few minutes to them. Thats all they really want anyway, someone to talk to for a few minutes.

I am a devout Christian and I work in construction with guys who range the complete gamut of viewpoints from Wicken to Satanists to a few religious zealots who I thought were out of line in pushing their religious views on people who clearly didn't want to hear it or worse were just trolling them for a reaction. The guys I work with know who I am and what I believe just from being around me for a while. I almost never open my mouth about religion unless they bring it up and I try to make a point of not arguing or pushing. I express my view and if i can sense they dont agree or whatever , I just drop it right there. I have worked with guys who I really liked and who had extremely different viewpoints than I do and by the grace of God I think I can say we are all still friendly.

I have never had an issue with the LDS folks. I usually just listen for a moment and find my opportunity to cut off the conversation politely and go my way. It only takes a minute of my time and I generally like people so i dont mind talking unless I am really busy. The only time I ever had a problem was with a guy and his wife who came into my home (I let them in because I knew him from a project a couple years before) they were JW and they very much offended my wife. I had to ask them to leave my home. That was uncomfortable and I have never wanted to discuss religion with a JW since. Oddly my Bro. in law was raised JW and he isn't anything like that. So I dont really know, I guess in every congregation there are all kinds.

I will just say this since my post is already too long. As a follower of Jesus Christ, I am not ashamed of my faith in Him and I am commissioned to share the gospel whenever and wherever I can. However, I use discernment to determine when to open my mouth and when to keep it shut. It is certainly not my intent nor does it do any good to try and force something that someone clearly doesn't want to receive.

Hope you all have a great day in this great city of Phoenix!

Old 03-28-2018, 03:35 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Maybe we are a religious metro. Mesa just announced a sting where 20 some people were arrested for hiring a prostitute. Does vice enforcement still go on outside of the bible belt? Then again it's Mesa.

True to form, they put their pictures on the internet to shame them. Check it out. You might see a future President of the US in the bunch:

http://www.12news.com/article/news/c...g/75-532892008
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area