Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,171,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
OP: Why move to Phoenix when you could move to Temecula/Murrietta, Lancaster/Palmdale, Indio/Palm Desert, Bakersfield or some other outlying area and actually be in Southern California?

Arizona is very right-wing and very pushy about it. No doubt about it. You'll find conservatism in the above areas too, but its a bit more moderated and not as ugly-radical as it is in Arizona.

The Arizona state legislature actually passed a bill that would have allowed service industry workers to discriminate against LGBT people on religious grounds. It was only vetoed by then-Gov. Jan Brewer because of the threat of economic boycott of the state....but still, they passed it as law! Think about that and let it sink in for a minute.
Because then the OP would have to live in CA.

BTW, that bill was vetoed not because of threat of boycott, but because the whole state was against it. I will concede that we have some whackos in our legislature but there was a whole thread about this on here. No one agreed with it.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:14 AM

28,133 posts, read 30,052,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I don't get the angst some people have when the JWs or Mormons' knock on the door. If I'm not busy, I'll answer, smile and tell them I'm not interested. If it's the dead of summer, I'll offer them some cold bottled water to take with them. They're entitled to their beliefs just like I am.
Yeah, well you're evidently nicer than most folks on this thread. I'm Mormon myself, but when a JW comes to my door, I consider it a minor interruption. I make some small talk with them for a minute or so, take their Watchtower and wish them a good day. Being civil has never resulted in my having a stroke or anything. Different people, different outlooks, different beliefs... it's all part of living in this world. I feel for people whose world is turned upside down over something so trivial as a missionary showing up at their door.

Oh, just as a side note... The OP won't be bothered by Mormon missionaries in Phoenix any more than they'd be bothered by them anywhere else in the world. There are Mormon missionaries in Madagascar and Mongolia, too. So what are you going to do -- not move there? The thing is, the number of Mormons living in a community is NOT an indicator of how frequently Mormon missionaries will come to your door.

Last edited by Katzpur; 03-29-2018 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,296,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Yeah, well you're evidently nicer than most folks on this thread. I'm Mormon myself, but when a JW comes to my door, I consider it a minor interruption. I make some small talk with them for a minute or so, take their Watchtower and wish them a good day. Being civil has never resulted in my having a stroke or anything. Different people, different outlooks, different beliefs... it's all part of living in this world. I feel for people whose world is turned upside down over something so trivial as a missionary showing up at their door.

Oh, just as a side note... The OP won't be bothered by Mormon missionaries in Phoenix any more than they'd be bothered by them anywhere else in the world. There are Mormon missionaries in Madagascar and Mongolia, too. So what are you going to do -- not move there? The thing is, the number of Mormons living in a community is NOT an indicator of how frequently Mormon missionaries will come to your door.
I think you need to remember that the person behind the door you're knocking on, may be offended by the actions of your church in the past. For instance the people behind the door might be in a same sex marriage, and here comes some kid from the church that has supported the fight against legalizing it, trying to convince you of their beliefs. It's not as simplistic as you think.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:28 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,932,131 times
well, in that case, it is easy to just say "sorry, not interested", and close the door, which is what I say and do every time those folks knock on my door; its not that big of a deal, and I've never had anyone NOT just go away..

Old 03-29-2018, 11:31 AM

8,046 posts, read 12,300,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Because the desert empire smells like manure and is far from anything worthwhile.

It’s funny to assume that people would move there just to be in Southern California...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Because then the OP would have to live in CA.

BTW, that bill was vetoed not because of threat of boycott, but because the whole state was against it. I will concede that we have some whackos in our legislature but there was a whole thread about this on here. No one agreed with it.
Rest assured, this Kttam poster is a whacko. The few times he posts in the Phoenix or Arizona forums, it's mostly negative crap about how we're all right wing racists, or how Scottsdale is full of arrogant new money "douchebags". Look at his posting history and you'll see what I mean. Anybody who spouts off about the Phoenix area being overly religious or socially conservative must have a mental disorder. Seriously, Phoenix is one of the least religious cities in the U.S., and there have been statistics citing this.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:18 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,296,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
well, in that case, it is easy to just say "sorry, not interested", and close the door, which is what I say and do every time those folks knock on my door; its not that big of a deal, and I've never had anyone NOT just go away..
But to some you have to understand this group represents "hate". To have someone show up at your door (your place of solitude) without being invited and bringing this ideology with them, I can understand an abrasive response. The Mormon church hasn't done themselves any favors.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:34 PM

9,823 posts, read 11,221,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
For me, it’s the arrogance. The fact that they think their way is the right way and that they’re actually doing you a favor by looping you in. It’s the implication that they’re right and you’re wrong. Believe what you want, but the holier than thou shtick can be a bit angering.
"Amen!" You said it much better than I did. We share the same sentiment.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:42 PM

375 posts, read 610,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
I love how this thread started:

"Hate to ask, but ......." Yeah, right!

Pull pin, toss grenade, watch fireworks.
I'm sitting back and watching this.

BTW - I didn't look at all the posts. Did anyone mention Hitler yet? A thread is usually closed when it heats up enough to mention Hitler.
Oops I guess I mentioned Hitler.

Last edited by Coop01; 03-29-2018 at 12:55 PM.. Reason: mistyping caused by tears from laughing

Old 03-29-2018, 01:12 PM

811 posts, read 624,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
For me, it’s the arrogance. The fact that they think their way is the right way and that they’re actually doing you a favor by looping you in. It’s the implication that they’re right and you’re wrong. Believe what you want, but the holier than thou shtick can be a bit angering.
It's truly awful that you view the Gospel this way; sounds like bad messaging. The truth is salvation through Jesus Christ was never meant to convey "special privilege" or elitism. It is simply one beggar showing another beggar where the food is. The challenge is getting one to admit that they're needy and starving. And we are ALL needy and starving.

I completely understand that people want their privacy. I don't know any Christians who aren't willing to love their neighbor enough to respect that. But one thing you can't keep them from doing is praying for you.

No matter how much you despise them.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
It's truly awful that you view the Gospel this way; sounds like bad messaging. The truth is salvation through Jesus Christ was never meant to convey "special privilege" or elitism. It is simply one beggar showing another beggar where the food is. The challenge is getting one to admit that they're needy and starving. And we are ALL needy and starving.

I completely understand that people want their privacy. I don't know any Christians who aren't willing to love their neighbor enough to respect that. But one thing you can't keep them from doing is praying for you.

No matter how much you despise them.
Again, pure arrogance. I'm not "needy and starving" and don't need you to show me where "where the food is". You're too far indoctrinated to see that people don't need your "help", nor will it do anything of benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area