Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,614 times

Advertisements

Thank you for the answers so far. I really appreciate it.

I knew the Phoenix area had a fairly large population of Mormons, but when I worked at our local university and employed Mormon work-study students they were wonderful. They knew I didn't want religious discussions in the office and respected that. They also respected my feelings outside the office, and were, frankly, the best employees I ever had. I've also had Mormons come to the door off and on all my life. I've always told them no thank you in a polite way, and never experienced pushiness.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:22 PM

110 posts, read 119,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Isn’t it The Book of Mormon?? I assumed that’s why SLC ranked so low.
From what I know the the Bible and Book of Mormon sorta go together in the LDS Church. When I visited Temple Square in SLC I found that there was quite a big emphasis on the Bible. (There was really amazing paintings of the life of Jesus in the visitor center for example) Yes, The Book of Mormon is probably one of the cornerstone texts of the church. But, there is a big emphasis on the Bible.

I think actually the reason SLC ranks so low is that the city itself is pretty liberal. Today many SLC residents are not LDS.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:23 PM

110 posts, read 119,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweller790 View Post
Thank you for the answers so far. I really appreciate it.

I knew the Phoenix area had a fairly large population of Mormons, but when I worked at our local university and employed Mormon work-study students they were wonderful. They knew I didn't want religious discussions in the office and respected that. They also respected my feelings outside the office, and were, frankly, the best employees I ever had. I've also had Mormons come to the door off and on all my life. I've always told them no thank you in a polite way, and never experienced pushiness.
Same. I have a lot of Mormon friends. They have never been pushy with their religion with me.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:26 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
From what I know the the Bible and Book of Mormon sorta go together in the LDS Church. When I visited Temple Square in SLC I found that there was quite a big emphasis on the Bible. (There was really amazing paintings of the life of Jesus in the visitor center for example) Yes, The Book of Mormon is probably one of the cornerstone texts of the church. But, there is a big emphasis on the Bible.

I think actually the reason SLC ranks so low is that the city itself is pretty liberal. Today many SLC residents are not LDS.
I don’t think that’s it. The “study” refers to media markets, which would surely go beyond just the city of SLC.

Old 03-25-2018, 05:58 PM

8,290 posts, read 8,701,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweller790 View Post
Don't want to offend anyone here by asking, but is the Phoenix area as conservative and religious as the national media makes it out to be? My family is considering a move there because we can't afford to move home to California, but after 13 years we're tired of New Mexico, and Phoenix is a reasonable day's drive to Southern California.

Politically, we're independents, and though I was raised going to Sunday school at our Presbyterian church in L.A., I grew up in an era where people didn't push their religious beliefs on strangers, and rarely discussed religion or politics in public outside of political or religious meetings.

I really, really, really don't like fanatics. I worry about having to sit quietly with a neutral smile on my face in a group of people who talk endlessly about Jesus and how fabulous Trump is and how we need tons of guns for everyone and a border wall, and how poor people are all to blame for where they are in life (as if exigent circumstances never exist, for instance--who cares if you're a full-time caregiver and can't work outside the home, it's your fault that you're living in poverty, etc.), and gays need to go to conversion therapy and on and on.

I'm also weary of reading comment boards where Californians are called *******s and former President Obama is called "Barry" or worse, "The Ape," (I didn't vote for him, but the racist reaction to his presidency really pisses me off). I'm concerned that Arizona is home to a lot of these types of commenters.

Hopefully, the people here will be able to reassure me that the national view of Arizona is as much a caricature of the state, as the one attributed to California as the land of fruits and nuts.
You seem to be putting everyone to the far right if they believe in certain things. For example
most people I know are in favor of gay marriage but they want The Wall. I want marijuana legalized but I also want more deportations. I don't know any anti gun people even most people I know don't own one.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:06 PM

2,808 posts, read 3,191,637 times
Religion does not play a role in public life in Phoenix from my experience. The conservatism in AZ is more secular, more libertarian then in the bible belt. It's also mostly anti-California motivated - less regulations etc. IMO the strongest religion in Phoenix is the Global Warming Sect.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:09 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Religion does not play a role in public life in Phoenix from my experience. The conservatism in AZ is more secular, more libertarian then in the bible belt. It's also mostly anti-California motivated - less regulations etc. IMO the strongest religion in Phoenix is the Global Warming Sect.
Where are these global warming churches?

Old 03-25-2018, 06:15 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,302,210 times
I liken the Phoenix Metro area to more like Orange County or San Diego County CA, which tend to be a little on the conservative side but not necessarily Christian Conservative (maybe with a pinch of Texas influence peppered in here, if that makes sense). There's even a large contingent of LDS in those areas (I grew up in Orange County). If you could handle those areas politically, I think you could handle most of the metro area. As a centrist atheist, everyone hates my politics so I just live where I want

Old 03-25-2018, 06:35 PM

13,979 posts, read 8,146,416 times
I was visiting my mother who moved to Mesa a couple of years back. She had just moved in and a couple from across the street stopped by to welcome her to the neighborhood. I was impressed and hadn't seen this since the 1960's when I was growing up in San Francisco.

Anyway, my mother is a devote Catholic and the neighbors who stopped by were Mormons. Anyone attempting to get my mother to attend any church but Catholic is wasting their time. My mother is pushing 90 and isn't about to change.

This should have been the end of it. However, this couple has stopped by several times unannounced asking if my mother needs help ect. all the while talking up the Mormon faith. My mother doesn't like this and if the drop by again I am going to speak with them.

I was in Gilbert last summer cleaning up the landscape in a rental one evening when a couple of young ladies looking to be around 19 or 20 stopped by to chat. Not often I get young ladies wanting to chat me up so I was a bit taken back. But it didn't take long for them to get to the point: they were Mormon and wanted to discuss my thoughts on the subject.

Nice young ladies who also offered to help me clean up the landscape but I declined. I wished them the best and sent them on their way.

Old 03-25-2018, 06:47 PM

169 posts, read 199,744 times
I like living near people I disagree with. It makes life more fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area