Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 06:35 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Huge difference between being “surprised” by another’s POV and being offended. Someone can personally attack with words to their hearts desire and that is their right; why should it “offend” me that they are simply exercising rights that I believe great Americans died for?

However, lift a hand toward me or my loved ones and there will be blood to pay.
We agree. But I too have the right of free speech especially when people cross common sense boundaries like knocking on my door to sell me something. Like many of my neighbors, I have a no soliciting signs. One dope who was pimping his religion knocks on my AZ door, then points to the sign and says “I assume this isn’t aimed at me”. That was in January.

Hey, don’t get mad if people protest outside your place of worship trying to “save you” from (in their mind) a religious cult. If you got upset (because they crossed the line), you would be logical. Note: I don’t have any problems debating with friends or family my personal beliefs. Every-so-often, the topic does come up. Then, we all go along about our ways simply disagreeing.

Old 03-27-2018, 08:33 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
Overall, Arizona is a gun-friendly, generally religious state.
Guns-friendly, yes. Religious, no. Where is your information coming from?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:06 AM

28,139 posts, read 30,082,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaimer View Post
Technically, Mormons are not Christians.
Technically, you're not in a position to make that determination.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:33 AM

811 posts, read 625,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If your co-workers feel emboldened to attack your deeply-held beliefs for sport, that is by definition a hostile work environment. You're not playing a "victim" card by being offended. This isn't about "safe spaces" it's about not being an ass & imposing your beliefs on others who don't have a choice about leaving.
Oh brother...

If it is truly a "hostile" work environment whine to management and they'll fix it if it's a legit case.
Or you could just man up and handle your own affairs.

As for someone being an ass and "imposing beliefs" in a confined space (like work environment) are we so wimpy or thin-skinned that another human can crash our world with words? Are you people really saying that when a fanatic proselytizes and you politely (or rudely) tell them to stop, they won't? Really? I would love to witness that!

If a sports cult fan boy bombarded me with stupid facts and boring ad nauseam I would just say "Please shut the hell up. Thank you." And if they didn't I would go on about my life.

Old 03-27-2018, 11:37 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
I guess in this "politically correct" nightmare our society has turned into, many folks are afraid to just tell someone to shut up, I dont agree with you, so save your breath, or, as you suggested, just walk away and go on with their lives...

Old 03-27-2018, 12:04 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,728,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Oh brother...

If it is truly a "hostile" work environment whine to management and they'll fix it if it's a legit case.
Or you could just man up and handle your own affairs.

As for someone being an ass and "imposing beliefs" in a confined space (like work environment) are we so wimpy or thin-skinned that another human can crash our world with words? Are you people really saying that when a fanatic proselytizes and you politely (or rudely) tell them to stop, they won't? Really? I would love to witness that!

If a sports cult fan boy bombarded me with stupid facts and boring ad nauseam I would just say "Please shut the hell up. Thank you." And if they didn't I would go on about my life.

well, I rest my case..

Believe it or not, in some areas of the country people exercise discretion & self-control to avoid alienating their co workers. It's been my experience that many in AZ have an attitude similar to your own, and feel quite certain that they have a "right" to blather on about politics and religion at work.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:21 PM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
I guess in this "politically correct" nightmare our society has turned into, many folks are afraid to just tell someone to shut up, I dont agree with you, so save your breath, or, as you suggested, just walk away and go on with their lives...
Please note, my day isn't ruined when someone is "spreading the word". It upsets me that people cannot read. I have to get up from my work and walk to the door and immediately start shoving their religion down my throat. It's arrogant for them to assume they figured it all out when their logic is so weak, they need to lean on "faith". But I'm nice yet blunt. If I have an extra moment, normally it's something like "if you really what to discuss the topic, just realize you won't be so sure of your beliefs when we get though the discussion. I've thought about this a few hundred hours. You have some major holes in your argument and you believe what you believe because you happen to live here in the USA. Trust me, you would be Jewish or Muslim if your parents were". No one wanted to talk. I wonder why??

question. When was the last time you used the words "shut up". Generally speaking, nice people always have to be "politically correct" and frame the statement in a way as to not be the a jerk.

Old 03-27-2018, 12:41 PM

169 posts, read 199,744 times
Zippyman, that’s surprising and sad that you are being attacked for your beliefs at work. Surprising because many workplaces pre emptivrly train you to say nothing controversial about sex race religion national origin at work.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:06 PM

110 posts, read 119,690 times
MN-Born-n-Raised this message is intended for you.

I told you in a previous post to get a real argument.

Now I'll say it again. Get a real argument.

You keep touting your "logic" but your arguments sound quite illogical.

You said that religion shouldn't be brought up. Well that is what America was founded on. Everyone openly "selling" or "pimping" thier religion as you like to say. If you don't like it, go to North Korea. You'll like it there. No one will try to spread any religious beliefs there. And if they do, just report them to the authorities and they will go to prison camps.

Stop hating other people for what they believe. You don't have to agree with what people say. But it give it some respect. The same respect you want other people to give for your arguments and view points.

I totally get your point. You don't want people bothering you with their religion and/or viewpoints. But that is no reason to be so angered by it. I can listen to your argument and totally hear you out. And of course I am going to say mine. The day people stop saying their viewpoints. The day people stop talking about their religion to random strangers. The day that we are all so afraid of talking to one another about our beliefs is the day America dies.

Old 03-27-2018, 01:15 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post

question. When was the last time you used the words "shut up". Generally speaking, nice people always have to be "politically correct" and frame the statement in a way as to not be the a jerk.
When people either insult me or my family, or, after politely asking them to drop a subject, and if they wont, then shut up, get off of my property, or something even stronger will be brought out..

I respect your right to knock on my door, even if I have a sign saying no solicitors of ANYTHING welcome here, but, I agree, when you get some hardcore religious fanatics who wont stop it, or leave, then being polite gets thrown out the door, and I tell it like it is..

Being a former football player, and being 6'3 240 lbs might be a factor as well, but when I ask you to leave my property, it is generally the end of the conversation..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area