Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 09:52 AM

872 posts, read 1,003,265 times

Advertisements

Phoenix in general seems very libertarian and live and let live

Tempe and Central/Downtown PHX are the more "liberal" areas of the Valley

Gilbert, Chandler and Mesa being the most along with Sdale

Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,990,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
My hatred is being spewed in one direction. Those who knock on my door and think it is o.k. I simply pointed out how far fetched Joseph Smith's gold book translations were. To me at least, knock on my door when you really have something important to share. For rational people, Gold book translations by a person who had 40 wives isn't a valid reason. Ever! Not so mysteriously, I heard crickets when I asked for someone to back up that claim.
I'm with you 100% about JS's outrageous claims/visions. But besides that, you have to realize they're enthusiastic and willing to share what they love and believe. It might inconvenience you a slight bit, but your life isn't going to be devastated over it, right? All I know is that I'd rather have LDS knock on my door than an atheist who comes to steal and kill.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:31 AM

9,827 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
I find this interesting given I have lived here for sometime and no one has knocked on my door other than trying to sell a security system or windows or cookies. No religious types ever. If my doorbell rings, I look from a window to see who is there. I ignore them at first. If they are persistent I get ugly and mention 911. Why in the world would anyone open their door to strangers no matter how cuddly they appear? Ours is not a religious culture. Most just want to be left alone. The brutal heat is good for keeping people away along with a barking dog and a sign that says beware of dog. This sounds like a huge non issue.
I work out of the house. I suspect even peddlers don't like working during the nights. In fact, the last two religious door knocks were during the day. A couple of months back, a bunch of them jumped outside a van and started knocking on doors. It was either December or January. Plus, I have had neighbors knock on my door saying my sprinklers are on too long etc. Call me a risk taker, but I don't expect to get gunned down during the day in Surprise, AZ. So I shouldn't have to hide behind a window shouting out "I'm calling 911". If I was worried, I would have my gun drawn.

Late fall, I was walking the dog and someone who was knocking on a neighbors door approached me by foot. It was around 7:30 PM and dark. He was "sharing information about a new local church". IMHO, I didn't appreciate a stranger walking up to me at night. Maybe they wanted to hit up nicer neighborhoods. After all, church is a business.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:37 AM

9,827 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I'm with you 100% about JS's outrageous claims/visions. But besides that, you have to realize they're enthusiastic and willing to share what they love and believe. It might inconvenience you a slight bit, but your life isn't going to be devastated over it, right? All I know is that I'd rather have LDS knock on my door than an atheist who comes to steal and kill.
You need to do a little more research. I've concluded most atheists are critical thinkers. In fact, read this:
How income varies among U.S. religious groups | Pew Research Center

Note who the lowest income people are. Yep, broke Jehovah's Witnesses. Their mind is easily swayed. In fact, look at the atheists. Notice how well they do economically. It's because they are often educated. I've concluded you need to worry most about broke people.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:14 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
You need to do a little more research. I've concluded most atheists are critical thinkers. In fact, read this:
How income varies among U.S. religious groups | Pew Research Center

Note who the lowest income people are. Yep, broke Jehovah's Witnesses. Their mind is easily swayed. In fact, look at the atheists. Notice how well they do economically. It's because they are often educated. I've concluded you need to worry most about broke people.
I'm not about to get into a debate over religion. I'll just say that I'm an agnostic who respects the First Amendment. Those who are deeply religious have every right to be, just as long as they don't force their beliefs on everybody else. I refuse to answer the door or speak with pesky Jehovah's Witnesses or LDS. They have thousands of other homes to choose from to peddle their papers, and they don't need to bother me. To your comment about church is a business: I agree 100%, and that's why I'm opposed to churches being tax exempt. It's too bad the national flat tax never gained momentum because I would be in favor of everybody paying a same percentage rate (5% or so), including all religious institutions.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:21 AM

110 posts, read 119,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm not about to get into a debate over religion. I'll just say that I'm an agnostic who respects the First Amendment. Those who are deeply religious have every right to be, just as long as they don't force their beliefs on everybody else. I refuse to answer the door or speak with pesky Jehovah's Witnesses or LDS. They have thousands of other homes to choose from to peddle their papers, and they don't need to bother me. To your comment about church is a business: I agree 100%, and that's why I'm opposed to churches being tax exempt. It's too bad the national flat tax never gained momentum because I would be in favor of everybody paying a same percentage rate (5% or so), including all religious institutions.
Religious Institutions contribute immensely, more so than the government, to charities. Orginazations that help feed people all over the world, clothe people all over the world, and overall make a positive impact on many communities. Are churches perfect? Of course not! But, because of the charity work churches do, they should be tax exempt.

Now I'm really sick of his thread. I subscribed the to Phoenix Area and Arizona forums so I could talk about AZ and PHX. Not religion.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:25 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,691,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
Religious Institutions contribute immensely, more so than the government, to charities. Orginazations that help feed people all over the world, clothe people all over the world, and overall make a positive impact on many communities. Are churches perfect? Of course not! But, because of the charity work churches do, they should be tax exempt.

Now I'm really sick of his thread. I subscribed the to Phoenix Area and Arizona forums so I could talk about AZ and PHX. Not religion.
Are you under the impression that your participation is required?

Old 03-28-2018, 11:36 AM

110 posts, read 119,718 times
No. I just wanted to make the two points I made.

I posted things previously on this thread pointing out some people's lack of knowledge about religion. Now though, I don't mind debating religion more. But, I would rather do so on the religion forum.

I'll shut up unless I hear something more stupid than saying churches shouldn't be tax exempt.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:41 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,031,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Wilson View Post
No. I just wanted to make the two points I made.

I posted things previously on this thread pointing out some people's lack of knowledge about religion. Now though, I don't mind debating religion more. But, I would rather do so on the religion forum.

I'll shut up unless I hear something more stupid than saying churches shouldn't be tax exempt.
So you can talk freely about religion on a Phoenix forum and also complain about other people doing it.

You seem confused.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,434,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweller790 View Post
Don't want to offend anyone here by asking, but is the Phoenix area as conservative and religious as the national media makes it out to be?

I really, really, really don't like fanatics. I worry about having to sit quietly with a neutral smile on my face in a group of people who talk endlessly about Jesus and how fabulous Trump is and how we need tons of guns for everyone and a border wall, and how poor people are all to blame for where they are in life (as if exigent circumstances never exist, for instance--who cares if you're a full-time caregiver and can't work outside the home, it's your fault that you're living in poverty, etc.), and gays need to go to conversion therapy and on and on.

While Phoenix is stereotyped as conservative, I never heard anything like what you described applied to Phoenix, which makes me wonder what kind of Berkeley basement bull session maquerading as "national media" you are exposing yourself to. I mean, there are some posters on internat forums like this one who spout that kind of crap, but internet forums do not count as national media.

Shoot, I lived right on the border of the bible belt, a county with a lot of Christians who would drop enough references to let you know they were Christian, and I never heard anything like what you are describing. At least not all in one conversation. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area