U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM

2 posts, read 4,963 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I'm moving from Chicago (I love it here) to the Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe area in June for work. I'll be working in Phoenix but would prefer living in a safe, young neighborhood that's close to restaurants, shops, and nightlife.

I won't know anyone there and I want to meet people in their 20s.

What areas/neighborhoods do you recommend? Please be specific, like giving cross streets or names of apartment/condo complexes. So far people said to look into Scottsdale and Tempe but I don't know where in Scottsdale/Tempe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:37 AM

77 posts, read 279,085 times
If you find a map and draw a box with Hayden/McClintock on the East, 56th Street/Priest on the West, Camelback to the North, and Broadway on the South, you'll have a basic idea of the general Scottsdale/Tempe area people are pointing you towards.

Scottsdale's downtown (20 somethings with money) is centered on Scottsdale Road and Indian School Rd., and Tempe's Downtown (20 somethings with student loans) is centered on University and Mill Avenue. The Loop 202 essentially divides the two cities and provides a route to downtown Phoenix.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:53 AM

5,610 posts, read 21,950,418 times
What part of Phoenix is the job in? Is it along the light rail route under construction? If so (and even if it's not), you might want to consider one of the new apartment complexes/ townhomes along Washington St between Mill/Curry and 56th st, walking distance to a light rail station. What's your budget for rent? That will play a huge role in the suggestions we can give you.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 AM

20,005 posts, read 73,119,709 times
Try and find yourself a place near Old Town in Scottsdale. Either that or somewhere near Mill St. in Tempe, if you can handle the idiot college crowd.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:40 AM

3,632 posts, read 15,357,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Try and find yourself a place near Old Town in Scottsdale. Either that or somewhere near Mill St. in Tempe, if you can handle the idiot college crowd.
I was thinking the same recommendation.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:01 PM

401 posts, read 2,502,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsr1238 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm moving from Chicago (I love it here) to the Phoenix/Scottsdale/Tempe area in June for work. I'll be working in Phoenix but would prefer living in a safe, young neighborhood that's close to restaurants, shops, and nightlife.

I won't know anyone there and I want to meet people in their 20s.

Ok, I hear young neighborhood, restuarants, nightlife, and 20s people. If you really want a much more fun scene than you will find in Phoenix, head a couple more hours west to LA. Just my opinion though. There are alot of problems there too but for what you described, I think it is much easier to have a good time with young people and nightlife in LA than Phoenix. It would also resemble Chicago alot more than Phoenix would in terms of young people and nightlife.

Also, if you love Chicago like you said, why are you moving???

Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM

38 posts, read 128,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
Ok, I hear young neighborhood, restuarants, nightlife, and 20s people. If you really want a much more fun scene than you will find in Phoenix, head a couple more hours west to LA. Just my opinion though. There are alot of problems there too but for what you described, I think it is much easier to have a good time with young people and nightlife in LA than Phoenix. It would also resemble Chicago alot more than Phoenix would in terms of young people and nightlife.

Also, if you love Chicago like you said, why are you moving???
Oh I hate LA. To each his own!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 PM

29 posts, read 116,804 times
I would recommend the complex that I live in. It's called Colonial Grand at Old Town Scottsdale. There are two complexes under the same name situated a couple blocks from each other. The south complex is approximately at the north west corner of Scottsdale Rd and Thomas Rd. I live in the north complex, which I would recommend more so, it is approximately at the south west corner of Scottsdale Rd and Osborn Rd. This is the beginning of Old Town Scottsdale which is where you will find people in their 20's along with a ton of bars, restaurant, shops etc. The closest bars/restaurants are about a 10 minute walk(Sugar Daddy's, Salty Senorita's, RA Sushi, Oregano's and Furio). It is about a 25 minute walk up to Camelback Rd, which is the northern extent of Old Town, and in between you'll find a ton more bars and restaurants (Dos Gringos, Stingray Sushi, Giligins, Martini Ranch, Drift, Myst, Saddle Ranch, Scottsdale Fashion Square, Scottsdale Waterfront, the list goes on and on). Also within walking distance there are a couple of museums, art gallaries, Scottsdale Stadium (SF Giant's spring training). It's also pretty close to Tempe if you want to head down to Mill Ave, which is the main strip of bars and restaurants for ASU. Personally I like living in Old Town vs Tempe because there isnt as much of a college crowd, there are still plenty of college kids but also a ton of young professionals.

The complex is pretty nice, they have started remodling the units as people move out of them, but even the older ones are decent. We pay $1450 for a remodeled 3bd/2ba. There are pool parties pretty much every sat/sun starting in April and throughout the summer and you'll pretty much always have something to do. Google Old Town Scottsdale as well as all those bars and restaurants I mentioned and keep in mind thats only about half the bars/restaurants there are in the area. The address for the complex is 3131 N 70th St, Scottsdale, AZ 85251 if you want to Google that for the location too. There are other nice complexes and some that arent quite as nice but still offer a good location in Old Town, so depending on your budget I'm sure you can find something, but I'd try to stay somewhere in between Thomas Rd to the south, Chaparral Rd to the north, 64th St to the west and Hayden to the east. Good luck.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:17 PM

287 posts, read 839,163 times
If you love Chicago you might not be too happy with living out here...just a thought

Old 04-04-2008, 08:33 AM

307 posts, read 906,587 times
Default Must visit to find out

Quote:
Originally Posted by once-upon-chicago View Post
If you love Chicago you might not be too happy with living out here...just a thought
I recommend a good couple of visits to "test drive" Phoenix!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area