Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 10:34 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,756,765 times

Advertisements

I may try Lyft the next time I need to get to the airport, but I have been using Super Shuttle to the airport and taxis (no apostrophe please) home from the airport for years with no issue. I live close enough to the airport that I am nearly always the last pickup for Super Shuttle on the way there. I like that I can give Super Shuttle a flight time and can be relatively assured that they well pick me up at a safe time. Super Shuttle is about the same price to the airport as Lyft is to my home, for one passenger. If there are two passengers, advantage Lyft, so the next time I travel with my wife we'll try Lyft.

I like taking a taxi home because I can just walk outside and get into one. I have never encountered "crappy cars and rude drivers". Cost a few dollars more but really convenient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM

6,784 posts, read 5,096,860 times
I've had a couple of issues. The worst one was when two of us were leaving Sky Harbor, the driver shut off the meter as he was leaving airport property and tried to make some "deal" with us. We told him to turn around and take us back to the terminal. He got all angry but did turn around. It was around Christmas and the airport was extremely busy. It was late at night and we had waited a long time for a ride. I guess he thought we would pay almost anything because of the circumstances?

I've used Super Shuttle a lot over the years, although not real recently. They've never let me down and I won't hesitate to use them again. My sense is that they won't survive in most markets. I've used Lyft only twice, with no issues.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:30 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,308,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I may try Lyft the next time I need to get to the airport, but I have been using Super Shuttle to the airport and taxis (no apostrophe please) home from the airport for years with no issue. I live close enough to the airport that I am nearly always the last pickup for Super Shuttle on the way there. I like that I can give Super Shuttle a flight time and can be relatively assured that they well pick me up at a safe time. Super Shuttle is about the same price to the airport as Lyft is to my home, for one passenger. If there are two passengers, advantage Lyft, so the next time I travel with my wife we'll try Lyft.

I like taking a taxi home because I can just walk outside and get into one. I have never encountered "crappy cars and rude drivers". Cost a few dollars more but really convenient.
Many Uber drivers also drive with Lyft. I see your point about taking a taxi in instances like from the airport. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more for convenience.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:11 AM

9,823 posts, read 11,221,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

I should have explained that my taxi ride experiences are limited to locations other than AZ. OF course, this is a PHX are forum. My most recent taxi rides were in NYC, Vegas, and Tampa. All three cars were larger and more legacy type cars. Like a typical Ford Crown Victoria type model. They should have been retired years earlier because the seats were worn (stained or cracked). In Tampa, I got picked up at the cruise terminal and the car was a massive POS. I should have waved him off but I was cutting it close to my flight. I literally worried I would stain my clothes as the back seat was disgusting! I do see newer taxi cars running around towns too. Like newer Prius etc. With Ubber and Lift, you won't be jumping into a junker. Although in Sky Harbor to Surprise ($50), I did get a female driver who picked me up in another car that was not on the app. I won't do that again. I got in. Her car was so out of alignment that her steering wheel was shaking a lot on interstate 10.

Of course there are nice taxi drivers and I have run into several. In my experience, some drivers are burnt out and not exactly friendly. They grunt out the total and that's pretty much their only interaction. If an Ubber or Lyft driver isn't in a great mood, then they have to rally and at least pretend they are in a decent mood because they know that they will have instant review feedback. Same goes with the person getting the ride. So the total ride experience on Ubber and Lyft is nearly always better. It's why taxi services are getting their arse handed to them. So much so that I predict I won't be using a taxi again in my life other than in Vegas or international travel. YMMV.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 04-12-2018 at 05:21 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burkmere View Post
Many Uber drivers also drive with Lyft. I see your point about taking a taxi in instances like from the airport. Sometimes it's worth it to pay a little more for convenience.
With Ubber and Lyft, I have the app loaded and time it within a minute of two. Meaning, if I see a car is 4 minutes away. I call for it and watch the progress 3 minutes earlier while I am walking out of the airport. I never have checked bags so timing it to save a few minutes is easy. In other words, I don't ask for the car when I am standing at the location that I want to be picked up at.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I've had a couple of issues. The worst one was when two of us were leaving Sky Harbor, the driver shut off the meter as he was leaving airport property and tried to make some "deal" with us. We told him to turn around and take us back to the terminal. He got all angry but did turn around. It was around Christmas and the airport was extremely busy. It was late at night and we had waited a long time for a ride. I guess he thought we would pay almost anything because of the circumstances?

I've used Super Shuttle a lot over the years, although not real recently. They've never let me down and I won't hesitate to use them again. My sense is that they won't survive in most markets. I've used Lyft only twice, with no issues.
Pre Ubber and Lyft, I often used https://www.tomysurpriseshuttle.com . I just checked to see if they are still operating and they are. I stopped using them because if I had 2 people, the price was double. I see they offer a discount now $59 for 2 and $39 for one person. So it seems they have gone under the price of Ubber and Lyft which runs me around $50-$55. When I did use them, I noticed a lot of seniors on the shuttle. That's because Flip Phones won't work so well. So if https://www.tomysurpriseshuttle.com/ is profitable at $39 ea or $59 a couple, they might survive because of the demographic of old people in our area. I still will not use the shuttle because I have to schedule pick-ups and that's a hassle. Then I get to go visit other peoples homes along the way. Finally, I have to make sure the driver is not accidentally giving away my black luggage piece at every stop (it's a tick of mine). Shy of saving $10-$15 on a 45-55 minute ride with a single ($39 for the shuttle), I don't see why I would want to ever use a shuttle service. It's all downside and no upside. I must be missing something.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:44 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,679,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
With Ubber and Lyft, I have the app loaded and time it within a minute of two. Meaning, if I see a car is 4 minutes away. I call for it and watch the progress 3 minutes earlier while I am walking out of the airport. I never have checked bags so timing it to save a few minutes is easy. In other words, I don't ask for the car when I am standing at the location that I want to be picked up at.
Exactly. I have it pretty much down to a science at this point. Usually, I order it as I'm on the escalator heading down toward baggage claim and by the time I make it to the north curb, they're arriving at the same time.

*Uber, not Ubber.

Old 04-12-2018, 09:54 AM

2,560 posts, read 2,308,234 times
Quote:
When I go to Vegas, which is often, it's actually cheaper and quicker to take a taxi to where I stay on the strip. That was my point. Also, even at Sky Harbor during surge times as well as very busy times, the cost is great and the Lyft and Uber service can be almost non-existent. So in those instances, taxis serve their purpose.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 AM

6,784 posts, read 5,096,860 times
Quote:
I still will not use the shuttle because I have to schedule pick-ups and that's a hassle. Then I get to go visit other peoples homes along the way. Finally, I have to make sure the driver is not accidentally giving away my black luggage piece at every stop (it's a tick of mine). Shy of saving $10-$15 on a 45-55 minute ride with a single ($39 for the shuttle), I don't see why I would want to ever use a shuttle service. It's all downside and no upside. I must be missing something.

I don't think you're missing anything. The main point of the shuttle is to save money. I don't travel much today, but over the years I certainly saved many thousands of dollars by using shuttles and public transportation. If money is no issue, or if the shuttle is more expensive, of course it makes little sense.

I haven't used Lyft very much. It worked fine, and while it didn't seem particularly cheap to me, I honestly didn't do a price comparison. I was just curious to try it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area