Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 1,679 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're moving to phoenix in this summer and finding a house to buy. We lived in Phoenix a few years ago for a short duration (a couple of years). This time will be a long term (at least 5-6 years) or may be permanent. We're looking to buy a house in an area which is around 20-30 mins drive from downtown. Our budget is around 300k (may be a bit more). Newly built is preferred and we like to have contemporary style single family home.

We used to live in phoenix but we don't know much about the area. Please suggest us which area/location to be avoided and which area to be sought.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 10:04 PM

102 posts, read 111,663 times
I sent you a message but realized I probably did so sort of fast.
From your criteria mentioned Laveen might be the "best" route.

If you can drive a little further, going west could work....or even north.
Is the newness of the home flexible?

Old 04-08-2018, 11:15 PM

2 posts, read 1,679 times
Is laveen considered as phoenix south side? I heard bad news about south side and want to avoid if possible but most new communities I can find within 15-20 mins are in south area. We prefer new house and may be a bit old houses like 3-5 years old houses will be considered if we don't have many options. Don't really want to drive more than 30 mins one way everyday but as a last resort, any suggestions are appreciated. Would you mind pointing out any good areas in laveen, west and north?
Thank you

Old 04-08-2018, 11:58 PM

102 posts, read 111,663 times
Default Laveen

It is considered by many to be South Phoenix yes. But there are parts that are West Valley. I sent you a message fyi

Old 04-09-2018, 12:34 PM

720 posts, read 736,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by che123 View Post
Hi,

We're moving to phoenix in this summer and finding a house to buy. We lived in Phoenix a few years ago for a short duration (a couple of years). This time will be a long term (at least 5-6 years) or may be permanent. We're looking to buy a house in an area which is around 20-30 mins drive from downtown. Our budget is around 300k (may be a bit more). Newly built is preferred and we like to have contemporary style single family home.

We used to live in phoenix but we don't know much about the area. Please suggest us which area/location to be avoided and which area to be sought.

Thanks
If you're open to condos, the Edison on Central with light rail outside your door - loved it! but may be over your asking price > https://www.liveatedison.com/

There are plenty of other "newer" homes in the 85014, 85006 etc. zip codes for
<= $300k

Old 04-09-2018, 12:59 PM

52 posts, read 146,100 times
Are schools a concern? Do you want suburban living or more city living? Thankfully Downtown is in the center of the valley so a lot of it is within reach.

Old 04-09-2018, 05:47 PM

4,073 posts, read 5,163,119 times
I don't really have any, I just wanted to say "Congratulations on the correct spelling of "advice"".

Good luck on your home search.

Old 04-09-2018, 08:44 PM

39,106 posts, read 51,313,080 times
It's going to be very hard to find anything that close to downtown, particularly new builds. New builds are out in the sticks somewhere. "Laveen" is the closest area with new homes, but it is, as they say, working class, and not the most sought after part of town. If you can live with 30-40 minute commute then it opens up Tempe and Ahwatukee, parts of Chandler and maybe a little of the west side depending on what the new freeway does for rush hour. Even then, you won't find new in Tempe or Ahwatukee at the low end of that commute time. In Avondale and Goodyear you should do better for new builds at the higher end again with a lot riding on the new freeway.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:04 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,666,532 times
I don’t understand the obsession with new, but you can find new builds here and there as infills in and around downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area