Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 12:45 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,742,274 times

Advertisements

A primary reason that Maryvale is unlikely to become anywhere near desirable is the very thing that made it boom in the first place. The affordable homes that John F Long built, that enabled so many post WWII first time home buyers, were built on the cheap and went downhill relatively quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2018, 01:26 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
A primary reason that Maryvale is unlikely to become anywhere near desirable is the very thing that made it boom in the first place. The affordable homes that John F Long built, that enabled so many post WWII first time home buyers, were built on the cheap and went downhill relatively quickly.
Yep, people probably don't know Maryvale was one of the first Master Planned Communities in the US (without the HOA and CC&R's that are indicative of them today). It was all affordable, simple designs on smaller lots and without much in the way of community amenities. Add to that a location which is not walkable to decent employment, shopping, dining or recreation and you have the recipe for a long standing undesirable area. I agree with the others about GCU being a catalyst for improvement in the Alhambra area, which is/was just as bad.

Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phx1205 View Post
Again, why? And who is going to pay for the trees, water, maintenance you are taking about? Easier/cheaper to just leave as is.
Ever hear of volunteers? I was reading where a number of volunteers were planting trees for Earth Day in the Park Central neighborhood. The same could be done in many west Phoenix areas that are lacking shade, greenery, and overall aesthetics. It wouldn't be complete revitalization, but it would be at least a good start. It's as if the residents in these west Phoenix neighborhoods don't want to improve, and actually like the blandness & the sketchiness. Incidentally, "easy & cheap" tends to attract lazy & cheap. That's why a lot of west Phoenix looks the way it does, has higher rates of poverty, and higher crime rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
True, but it's not just Maryvale I'm referring to. Much of west Phoenix has become this way. It's really sad & unfortunate because there used to be some decent areas on the west side back in the day that have allowed to become run down. Metrocenter area is a good example of this, and the mall area has the potential to be something more desirable than what it is ... but again, it's as if most everybody around there actually likes seeing their neighborhoods go to the dogs.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:30 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Ever hear of volunteers? I was reading where a number of volunteers were planting trees for Earth Day in the Park Central neighborhood. The same could be done in many west Phoenix areas that are lacking shade, greenery, and overall aesthetics. It wouldn't be complete revitalization, but it would be at least a good start. It's as if the residents in these west Phoenix neighborhoods don't want to improve, and actually like the blandness & the sketchiness. Incidentally, "easy & cheap" tends to attract lazy & cheap. That's why a lot of west Phoenix looks the way it does, has higher rates of poverty, and higher crime rates.

True, but it's not just Maryvale I'm referring to. Much of west Phoenix has become this way. It's really sad & unfortunate because there used to be some decent areas on the west side back in the day that have allowed to become run down. Metrocenter area is a good example of this, and the mall area has the potential to be something more desirable than what it is ... but again, it's as if most everybody around there actually likes seeing their neighborhoods go to the dogs.
The Metrocenter area isn't that bad. Sure, the Mall is dead (and some areas along Dunlap are sketchy) but for the most part it's not a bad area.

The area should change once the light rail is completed to it.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:53 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,450,812 times
Most of the entire valley has the feeling of being bland and suburban. "Slum" vs wealthy areas exist but they both have that bland suburban vibe.

Edit: And I like the valley so I'm not really trying to talk bad about it, but it is what it is.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:28 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
GCU has had a huge impact on the area around 35th Avenue and Camelback. As that school continues to expand, I think some companies may gradually move west of the 17 to better capitalize on proximity to the university. While this is only a small part of Maryvale, it shows that the broader area does not have to be a lost cause.

Also, with housing prices shooting up, some people who might now be priced out of higher end neighborhoods will realize the value in Maryvale. Who knows if that could potentially cause pockets of gentrification in the coming decades.

Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
GCU has had a huge impact on the area around 35th Avenue and Camelback. As that school continues to expand, I think some companies may gradually move west of the 17 to better capitalize on proximity to the university. While this is only a small part of Maryvale, it shows that the broader area does not have to be a lost cause.

Also, with housing prices shooting up, some people who might now be priced out of higher end neighborhoods will realize the value in Maryvale. Who knows if that could potentially cause pockets of gentrification in the coming decades.
GCU is actually in Alhambra, Grand Ave is the border between Alhambra and Maryvale

Old 04-22-2018, 08:56 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Thanks to those who mentioned GCU. I definitely see potential around that campus (which is in Alhambra by the way, not Maryvale). I'm really glad GCU has become more of a well known university in recent years ... and in time, it could become a prestigious university. If this happens, the neighborhoods around there might improve substantially. This is a ray of hope for west Phoenix! No telling what some reputable private investment can do.

Old 04-23-2018, 06:49 AM

2,830 posts, read 2,503,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Some working class areas are quaint and have at least some redeemable charm to them, but I don't know of any in west Phoenix. Can't these areas at least spruce up their properties a bit and maybe plant some trees to make it a bit more shady & appealing? How about the vacant lots that are a scar on neighborhoods? Can't they be filled in with something worthwhile?
Totally agree. The 40's and 50's era homes in central Phoenix area are very nice... love the eclectic feel of the neighborhoods, ranch and mid century architectural styles, and large lot sizes. You just don't get that at all with the west valley homes...

My wife's parents live in one of these central Phoenix neighborhoods, in a 50's built house, and I always have a blast visiting them.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:55 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
To be honest, suburban PHX overall looks quite the same. If someone blindfolded me and covered up the street signs so I didn't know where I was, I couldn't tell the difference between Surprise and Glendale, Gilbert and Chandler, El Mirage or Mesa. The few unique burbs (ie Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, etc) are the ones most people are attracted to, and you'll get stuck paying a premium to live there. Same goes for "unique" areas of PHX, ie Biltmore, Arcadia, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area