Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 09:04 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times

Advertisements

Probably, between an East and West Valley city, I would probably say Mesa and Glendale are the most similar, since they have a mix of both desirable and undesirable areas and both have a significant Hispanic population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Probably, between an East and West Valley city, I would probably say Mesa and Glendale are the most similar, since they have a mix of both desirable and undesirable areas and both have a significant Hispanic population.
Except Mesa didn't bilk their taxpayers out of money that was supposed to go to light rail, but instead is going to go to annexing more land and building more tract homes

Old 04-23-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Except Mesa didn't bilk their taxpayers out of money that was supposed to go to light rail, but instead is going to go to annexing more land and building more tract homes
Surprisingly, Glendale remains on the Valley Metro Light Rail Board of Directors despite killing plans for light rail last year. I'm surprised they didn't withdraw like Scottsdale did when they killed plans for light rail into Scottsdale. Interestingly Peoria was once on the Light Rail Board of Directors as well, although I don't think there were ever any serious short term plans for a light rail line into Peoria.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:37 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
I laugh when eastsiders broadbrush the west side as some giant slum with nothing going for it. Just because the demographics of the area have changed substantially over a handful of decades does not make it a slum. There are some very nice properties in Maryvale. Like east Phoenix, Maryvale has a bunch of mom and pop eateries. No, they’re not always the most trendy places like Postino, The Yard, or La Grande Orange, but they exist. I routinely eat at Ta Carbon, one of the best casual Mexican places in the Valley. Both locations are o. The west side; one located near 43rd Ave and Thomas and the other near 59th Ave and Camelback. I’ve noticed that the clientele of both places is beginning to shift slightly, with people from the east side recognizing that West Phoenix is not some dangerous slum where your risk of being the victim of violent crime is exponentially higher than anywhere else in the Valley. The neighborhood is mainly working class people trying to make an honest living. It’s just people from other places who equate a predominantly Mexican and largely Spanish speaking neighborhood with crime who keep the negative reputation alive. Is it the best neighborhood in the city? No. However, with a little bit of investment, the place can be truly recognized for its potential.

Another potential node of revitalization could be around Desert Sky. While the enclosed shopping mall is an outdated model, I could see private investors redeveloping the mall into more of an outdoor lifestyle center. With the presence of the transit hub in that area, the planned extension of the light rail to 79th Ave, and the patches of agricultural land that still exist, the place has the potential of becoming an urban node (by Phoenix standards, of course). Maryvale Hospital was recently shut down as well. That’s another opportunity for redevelopment.

Quote:
GCU is actually in Alhambra, Grand Ave is the border between Alhambra and Maryvale
Thanks for the correction. I wasn’t exactly sure where Alhambra was located.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Surprisingly, Glendale remains on the Valley Metro Light Rail Board of Directors despite killing plans for light rail last year. I'm surprised they didn't withdraw like Scottsdale did when they killed plans for light rail into Scottsdale. Interestingly Peoria was once on the Light Rail Board of Directors as well, although I don't think there were ever any serious short term plans for a light rail line into Peoria.
Peoria doesn't even have bus service because they don't want to pay for it. Going from no public transit straight to light rail would have been putting the cart ahead of the horse

Old 04-23-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Peoria doesn't even have bus service because they don't want to pay for it. Going from no public transit straight to light rail would have been putting the cart ahead of the horse
Actually, parts of Peoria do have bus service, although it is primarily the southern portion of the city. Peoria also has paratransit service via Peoria Dial-a-Ride, but it only serves areas that are within 3/4 miles of local bus routes.

Old 04-23-2018, 11:56 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
The west side; one located near 43rd Ave and Thomas and the other near 59th Ave and Camelback. I’ve noticed that the clientele of both places is beginning to shift slightly, with people from the east side recognizing that West Phoenix is not some dangerous slum where your risk of being the victim of violent crime is exponentially higher than anywhere else in the Valley. The neighborhood is mainly working class people trying to make an honest living. It’s just people from other places who equate a predominantly Mexican and largely Spanish speaking neighborhood with crime who keep the negative reputation alive. Is it the best neighborhood in the city? No. However, with a little bit of investment, the place can be truly recognized for its potential.

I'm sorry, both of those intersections you mentioned are in VERY high crime areas and are on the police blotter regularly for violent crime. It is NOT simply about the race of the residents, police will tell you 59th/Camelback and 43rd/Thomas are high crime areas. There's Hispanic areas that are not that dangerous, but the areas you mentioned are the real deal. That is not to say there aren't working class people living there trying to make an honest living, there are. But it is still gang infested and a violent area.

Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
Quote:
I laugh when eastsiders broadbrush the west side as some giant slum with nothing going for it. Just because the demographics of the area have changed substantially over a handful of decades does not make it a slum.
Compared to much of east Phoenix, the west side is quite bland, and the crime & poverty rates are generally higher. Community activists could volunteer their time and do small things like planting trees, sprucing up run down properties, etc., but it's as if people on the west side don't want any kind of improvement, and are satisfied with blandness.

Quote:
It’s just people from other places who equate a predominantly Mexican and largely Spanish speaking neighborhood with crime who keep the negative reputation alive. Is it the best neighborhood in the city? No. However, with a little bit of investment, the place can be truly recognized for its potential.
Nothing was ever mentioned in this thread about the racial/ethnic makeup of the area ... that is until you brought it up. A person's race should have nothing to do with the topic at hand, which is the overall appearance of west Phoenix. I definitely agree that revitalization is possible with investment and determination, but it can't just be one person or a small group who can get things done.

Quote:
Another potential node of revitalization could be around Desert Sky. While the enclosed shopping mall is an outdated model, I could see private investors redeveloping the mall into more of an outdoor lifestyle center. With the presence of the transit hub in that area, the planned extension of the light rail to 79th Ave, and the patches of agricultural land that still exist, the place has the potential of becoming an urban node (by Phoenix standards, of course). Maryvale Hospital was recently shut down as well. That’s another opportunity for redevelopment.
I agree in principle, but again it takes a determined community and investment to make these things happen. The Metrocenter mall could be demolished and replaced with a large scale amusement park to add onto the theme of Castles & Coasters at the same location ... especially with the planned light rail extension, there could be lots of possibilities. But is anything being done? Nope! Same goes for Maryvale Hospital and Desert Sky. Do you see any kind of plans for redevelopment around there? Nope! One thing that is happening is the expansion of GCU, and I hope that will clear the way for some revitalization in that part of the Alhambra area.

Old 04-23-2018, 03:05 PM

125 posts, read 104,798 times
Just looking at west side development (or redevelopment) within the Phoenix city limits, the only changes I see happening anytime soon are the areas near GCU and the 59th Ave corridor south of I-10, where the Loop 202 extension is being built.

Old 04-24-2018, 10:57 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I used to live near 35th Avenue and Peoria in a subdivision of small, but decidedly MCM homes similar to what can be found in the "Streets" for close to $350,000-$400,000. When the boom hit 12 years ago the neighborhood was discovered by some of the MCM enthusiasts who gladly plunked down $250,000 to live in a cool looking retro home built in the 60's. The crash happened and all of those houses went into foreclosure.

Within the span of 8 years the neighborhood went from solid lower middle class full of teachers, cops and a lot of retail managers over at Metrocenter to being a rental neighborhood with a number of Section 8's. I had moved out during this timespan and left the state. Came back 5 years later and was shocked at how the area looked. It was never going to be Scottsdale, but you still had people with pride of ownership. Barring a miracle I don't see how the area will revitalize unless you can convince people that better to live in an older home near Metrocenter than to commute in from Surprise for affordable housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area