Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 07:36 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,460,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The area where I live at 12th St& Washington is much better now than it was prior to the rail, though east of 16th St, it turns kind of dumpy again
I can second that. I live here in Eastlake too and yes it is very true that our neighborhood has vastly improved after the lightrail (especially that corner (12th St & Wash/Jeff)).

Granted we are so close to downtown we were destined for revitalization either way, but that train stop helped a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 11:14 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The area where I live at 12th St& Washington is much better now than it was prior to the rail, though east of 16th St, it turns kind of dumpy again
A lot of that is because you're close to downtown. The downtown area has seen a lot of positive improvements in the past few years for different reasons. Light rail has possibly been one of the things that helped the central core, but I just don't see where it has sparked revitalization east of downtown (with the exception of Tempe), or along north Central Avenue, west Camelback, or 19th Avenue.

Old 01-23-2020, 11:11 AM

125 posts, read 170,529 times
No, West Phoenix (especially Maryvale) will never improve. Tell you why: the streets through the residential areas are WAY too narrow, and the houses are too close together and built so cheaply- builder-quality stuff. Even if you evict the scum making up a large portion of the population, you're still left with crappy small houses, dangerously navigable roads, and too-close-for-comfort neighbors.

Old 01-23-2020, 02:30 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,309,559 times
No

Old 01-23-2020, 03:23 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Poor people need somewhere to live too.

Old 01-23-2020, 03:34 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
No, West Phoenix (especially Maryvale) will never improve. Tell you why: the streets through the residential areas are WAY too narrow, and the houses are too close together and built so cheaply- builder-quality stuff. Even if you evict the scum making up a large portion of the population, you're still left with crappy small houses, dangerously navigable roads, and too-close-for-comfort neighbors.
Agritopia in Gilbert also has very narrow streets and homes close together. It was designed that way with a purpose of bringing residents closer together and forming community. So those reasons are mitigated.

Scum and low build quality are a whole other issue.

Old 01-26-2020, 08:24 AM

39,125 posts, read 51,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macluffy View Post
Lot sizes in west Phoenix are typically 70-80 x 100 to 110. That is larger than they are in almost any new tract development. As for streets, they too are wider than one finds today with the move to have boulevard style residential streets and passive traffic controls. Many of the homes were built by JF Long while others like Dave Brown came in later. The build quality is pretty much the same as similar homes in Mesa (though those areas too are now in decay). Many were built in the period around 1980 when hardboard panel siding, shingle roofing and package ac was popular. The bones are the same as current builds but newer ones use stucco over styrofoam, concrete roofs, and split ac. It's arguable which is better.

Old 01-27-2020, 01:21 PM

2,774 posts, read 907,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Poor people need somewhere to live too.
They do. My wife had a house at 32nd St. & McDowell before we got married in 1984. It was a nice neighborhood then. We moved to Chandler when we got married. Drive around 32nd St. & McDowell now and it's not so nice anymore. Lots of poor people live in the area. Many of the older, but well kept homes are now run down and crime in the area has gone up.

Old 01-28-2020, 04:32 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,384,685 times
Looking at Maryvale at Google Street and houses at Zillow, the area doesn't really look bad. Yes, I have low standards. If I am single, I won't mind living in Maryvale, a 1500 sqft house at low 200K, that's a steal for many.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:12 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,678,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
Looking at Maryvale at Google Street and houses at Zillow, the area doesn't really look bad. Yes, I have low standards. If I am single, I won't mind living in Maryvale, a 1500 sqft house at low 200K, that's a steal for many.
Trust me, there's a reason that the houses are that cheap, more than 1 actually:

-neighborhood is over 90% Mexican and Central American
-few amenities aside from some chain restaurants and a couple grocery stores
-high crime, gang neighborhood
-far from middle class and up employment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area