Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 10:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times

Advertisements

Aldi's is coming to the Valley and building a distribution center at Indian School Rd/Cotton Ln in Goodyear bringing 132 jobs to the West Valley.

German grocery chain Aldi is coming to Arizona — with a regional distribution center in Goodyear.

The Arizona Republic reports the discount grocer, which operates about 1,700 stores across 35 states, is in the process of purchasing land along Loop 303 for its regional hub. The office and distribution center will create 132 jobs along the growing corridor in the West Valley.

Aldi is buying city-owned and private land along Indian School Road and Cotton Lane, according to the Republic. Aldi is purchasing 27 acres of land from Goodyear for $3.6 million, while the chain buys 42 acres from developer Sunbelt Holdings.

The center is expected to be operational by 2020, reports the Republic, though that timeline could change.

Aldi recently announced expansion into California. The company likely picked Goodyear for its regional hub because of the West Valley city's proximity to California.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...tribution.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 10:52 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Where does it say "Aldi's Supermarkets coming to the valley"?

There is a distribution center coming to serve California. I don't see anything that says supermarkets are coming to the valley.

Old 07-29-2017, 11:08 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,919,706 times
interesting news; Aldi's is a "no frills", no name brand kind of store, high quality products, about 30-50% LESS EXPENSIVE than name brands, but still AA quality everything..very few employees at the store, so dont expect any service..

you bring your own bags, cash/debit card only, bag your own stuff so once you find that you like their brands of things you normally buy, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you save shopping there..a few odds and ends with name brands, but mostly brands you don't recognize..

you even have to put a quarter in the "shopping cart corral" to get a shopping cart!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-30-2017 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 07-29-2017, 11:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Where does it say "Aldi's Supermarkets coming to the valley"?

There is a distribution center coming to serve California. I don't see anything that says supermarkets are coming to the valley.

Looks like distribution only to me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
interesting news; Aldi's is a "no frills", no name brand kind of store, high quality products, about 30-50% LESS EXPENSIVE than name brands, but still AA quality everything..very few employees at the store, so dont expect any service..

you bring your own bags, cash/debit card only, bag your own stuff so once you find that you like their brands of things you normally buy, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much you save shopping there..a few odds and ends with name brands, but mostly brands you don't recognize..

you even have to put a quarter in the "shopping cart corral" to get a shopping cart!

All that really doesn't matter if all we are getting here is a distribution center. Can't go rent a forklift and go shop there.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 08-01-2017 at 09:08 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-29-2017, 11:19 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Why would they be building a distribution center in the west valley of Phoenix if it was only to serve California? Makes no sense. They clearly have plans to penetrate Phoenix and probably Vegas/Tucson eventually. FYI I love Aldi. High quality products for a low price. By the way, did you all know they are owned by the same group that owns Trader Joe's? The Albrecht Brothers, a couple German brothers who were among the wealthiest people in the world at one time (now passed so it is now part of a family trust). Trader Joe's is already all over Cali and AZ so makes sense Aldi would come here.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:36 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Why would they be building a distribution center in the west valley of Phoenix if it was only to serve California? Makes no sense. They clearly have plans to penetrate Phoenix and probably Vegas/Tucson eventually. FYI I love Aldi. High quality products for a low price. By the way, did you all know they are owned by the same group that owns Trader Joe's? The Albrecht Brothers, a couple German brothers who were among the wealthiest people in the world at one time (now passed so it is now part of a family trust). Trader Joe's is already all over Cali and AZ so makes sense Aldi would come here.
Sure it does, much better tax and business environment and only a few hours away from California.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:11 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,395 times
I can't tell you how much I miss Aldi and Lidl... hoping so bad they'll open up stores here and not only the DC.

Old 07-29-2017, 04:25 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Aldi's is a good store, though. My hometown in MI has one. Used to buy milk and few other things there. They sold a good and cheap knockwurst.

I'll always give a thumbs up for more jobs in the Valley even if it's just a distribution warehouse.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-30-2017 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 07-29-2017, 04:26 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post

Aldi has accepted credit cards for at least 18 months.

Also, At Aldi, everyone returns their carts to the front of the store. That means no carts in the parking lot to scratch up your cars. It also means that they don't have to have a lot of people chasing after the cart. I do not consider the costs of retrieving shopping carts from all around the parking lot as an expense I want to incur/

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-30-2017 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 07-29-2017, 04:32 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Alsi has accepted credit cards for at least 18 months.

Also, At Aldi, everyone returns their carts to the front of the store. That means no carts in the parking lot to scratch up your cars. It also means that they don't have to have a lot of people chasing after the cart. I do not consider the costs of retrieving shopping carts from all around the parking lot as an expense I want to incur/
$20 says that'd never happen here even if it really happens as you say elsewhere <bold>. They'll chase carts just like every other store in AZ does...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area