Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:34 AM

38 posts, read 27,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
That was the case with me as well. I loved living in Charlotte, but got a better opportunity in Phoenix.
Do you still think about returning to Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 08:55 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,641,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncaz2018 View Post
This thread was very helpful to me as well. Thanks for all of your feedback! I will be packing up my car next weekend and rolling out of Charlotte Sunday morning. I’m planning to take 40 with overnight stops in Nashville, Little Rock, Oklahoma City, and Alberquerque. Looking forward to road tripping across this beautiful country and starting my life in Phoenix. ��
The LaQuinta in N Oklahoma City on Northwest Expressway is nice and in a decent area. It's a bit north of I-40, but it was worth the detour. I stayed there in April 2017. It's been remodeled since then.

The LaQuinta in ABQ on San Antonio NE (LQ calls it "Albuquerque Northeast") is decent as well. It's at San Antonio and I-25, a few minutes north of I-40 and I-25. I've stayed there several times with no issues, no one broke into my car (and I had stuff in it), etc. This property could use a makeover, it's looking a little dated but it's always been clean and quiet when I've stayed there. Last stay was about 3 months ago.

A friend makes the I-40 drive to GA/AL a lot and she stays at the Candlewood Suites in Ft Smith, AR. She's never had any issues there either. Her last stay was this past December.

All three properties are pet friendly.

Old 05-29-2018, 09:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,048,761 times
This string of posts caught my attention. I came to Durham, NC 16 years ago from Cleveland, OH (originally from Miami, FL). I've been reading postings here, along with doing other research online. I'm intrigued with Tucson. A flight out there to scout it out is very expensive. I'm thinking when I am ready I may just trade in my 2004 Honda Accord for a better road car and drive out to stay. I'm afraid of taking chances but that's another story. Not taking chances has kept me here in Durham, never really feeling like I fit in here. Long story short, if I move, I will be taking my dog with me and all your suggestions to each other here have been very helpful in figuring out the best route there.

Good luck on your move!

Old 05-29-2018, 11:51 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,748,651 times
Quote:
Do you still think about returning to Charlotte?
I honestly wrestled with moving back a few times.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
The LaQuinta in N Oklahoma City on Northwest Expressway is nice and in a decent area. It's a bit north of I-40, but it was worth the detour. I stayed there in April 2017. It's been remodeled since then.

The LaQuinta in ABQ on San Antonio NE (LQ calls it "Albuquerque Northeast") is decent as well. It's at San Antonio and I-25, a few minutes north of I-40 and I-25. I've stayed there several times with no issues, no one broke into my car (and I had stuff in it), etc. This property could use a makeover, it's looking a little dated but it's always been clean and quiet when I've stayed there. Last stay was about 3 months ago.

A friend makes the I-40 drive to GA/AL a lot and she stays at the Candlewood Suites in Ft Smith, AR. She's never had any issues there either. Her last stay was this past December.

All three properties are pet friendly.
Thanks for the suggestions Yukon! I’ll check them out. ��

Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamian in nc View Post
This string of posts caught my attention. I came to Durham, NC 16 years ago from Cleveland, OH (originally from Miami, FL). I've been reading postings here, along with doing other research online. I'm intrigued with Tucson. A flight out there to scout it out is very expensive. I'm thinking when I am ready I may just trade in my 2004 Honda Accord for a better road car and drive out to stay. I'm afraid of taking chances but that's another story. Not taking chances has kept me here in Durham, never really feeling like I fit in here. Long story short, if I move, I will be taking my dog with me and all your suggestions to each other here have been very helpful in figuring out the best route there.

Good luck on your move!
Funny, I moved to Charlotte from Northeast Ohio 4 years ago. I lived about an hour outside Cleveland, near the PA border. I was out to lunch yesterday and my waitress happened to be from Cleveland. We got to talking about my situation and she shared that she is also ready to move on. In the four years that I’ve been here, I’ve met a lot of people from the NY/PA/OH area, and many of them seem to feel the same way-that the Carolinas are a nice place to live, but they don’t quite fit in.

Best of luck to you as well! I hope you and your pup make it to AZ sooner than later. ��

Old 05-30-2018, 08:05 PM

564 posts, read 1,048,761 times
Thank you so much for your reply, ncaz2018! I'm glad to hear it isn't just me. Yes, NC is a lovely place to visit. I didn't feel so out of place in the Asheville area but Asheville is a very eclectic place.

Old 06-02-2018, 08:42 PM

80 posts, read 99,055 times
I just love reading how helpful this site is for folks. So happy that someone can read these post and gain peace of mind. It really does help.. Everyone is just so helpful. Thank you everyone for all your words of wisdom! I truly appreciate it.

Yukon, thank you. I will be checking it.

Miamian in nc - you can do it!! We will all be here rootin you on.. :-)

ncaz2018 - I'll be waiting to hear from you.. Be safe.

Old 06-08-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Ahhh, your route brings back memories. We stayed in Oklahoma City and Albuquerque during our journey. Safe travels and let us know when you arrive.
Hello all! Just wanted to let you all know that I’ve arrived safely in Phoenix and am settling in. I ended up taking 40, and like many of you mentioned, it was a relatively easy drive.

Thanks again for all of your help! This forum is great. I’m sure I’ll use it again in the future as I settle into my new home and more questions come up. 😊

Old 06-09-2018, 02:45 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,748,651 times
Quote:
Hello all! Just wanted to let you all know that I’ve arrived safely in Phoenix and am settling in. I ended up taking 40, and like many of you mentioned, it was a relatively easy drive.

Thanks again for all of your help! This forum is great. I’m sure I’ll use it again in the future as I settle into my new home and more questions come up. 😊
Glad you made it safely and welcome! You're here in time for some of our hottest temps so far this year. Stay hydrated and keep us informed as you settle in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area