Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 02:20 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

I love it. Quiet, smooth and easier on tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2018, 02:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
asphalt, is one of the worst things you want on your roads; coming from Illinois,(sorry to bring that up again), with the Illinois Road Builders Association being one of the largest political Lobbyists/contributors to state legislators, they ALWAYS used Asphalt on EVERY major road/highway, since they know it only lasts a short time, and they can be assured of repaving projects every few years because that crap wont last on roads.

why they would bother with it in AZ is a mystery to me, unless it involves financial donations from that group of lobbyists..
Utterly different set of rules. No freeze or snow or ice in the deserts or Phoenix. I do not know the customs in Phoenix but here virtually all the roads are over coated every other year or so and the arterial are resurfaced every three or four years. Generally even a grind off resurface is done in a day or two. Major rebuilds of the roads are very rare.

Old 04-28-2018, 02:53 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,916,165 times
agree; so, the question becomes, why bother adding a layer of asphalt on top of concrete, knowing that the 100-150 degree road temps here all summer will just melt the junk...save the money, and just leave the concrete alone..

Old 04-28-2018, 03:19 PM

117 posts, read 160,382 times
Every time I drive on California's crappy grooved concrete freeways I'm reminded how nice, quiet, and smooth Phoenix area freeways are. I don't know how much more they cost or how durable it is but there's no question rubberized asphalt freeways or whatever they are called are a better driving experience.

I have no source nor do I really care to look one up but I read the idea is for the asphalt to "melt" a little in the summer to help fill in small cracks and keep it smooth.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
agree; so, the question becomes, why bother adding a layer of asphalt on top of concrete, knowing that the 100-150 degree road temps here all summer will just melt the junk...save the money, and just leave the concrete alone..
Rubberized asphalt overlayment (which is rubberized asphaltic concrete actually) has been used successfully here for over 20 years now. There are a couple instances where it has failed and various improvements in the mix and methods have been implement over the years. It doesn't melt. It cant even be applied until road surfaces are optimally over 100 degrees. The OP is based on a false premise that it is not weathering well.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Rubberized asphalt overlayment (which is rubberized asphaltic concrete actually) has been used successfully here for over 20 years now. There are a couple instances where it has failed and various improvements in the mix and methods have been implement over the years. It doesn't melt. It cant even be applied until road surfaces are optimally over 100 degrees. The OP is based on a false premise that it is not weathering well.
ADOT states it can only be laid down in the Spring and Fall. Cannot be too cold or too hot.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
ADOT states it can only be laid down in the Spring and Fall. Cannot be too cold or too hot.
85 to 145 F. (road surface not air)

Old 04-28-2018, 05:29 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
I just wish they'd put the darn dots back. I'm so tired of drivers wavering out of their lane at times so close I could adjust their mirror for them. Happens at least 2-3 times per week.
At least with the dots they'd have a clue...

Old 04-28-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I just wish they'd put the darn dots back. I'm so tired of drivers wavering out of their lane at times so close I could adjust their mirror for them. Happens at least 2-3 times per week.
At least with the dots they'd have a clue...
Kids claimed it was braille driving. Too drunk to follow the lines you used the the dots.

(No they did not drive drunk...or at least I never could one even close). Had to rescue one a couple of times after they overly enjoyed the juice of the grape. But never driving.

Old 04-28-2018, 05:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Funny this gets posted the same day they started resealing the 101. Sections we're closed down this morning for it and they should be resealing the entire thing this month. Nice smooth quiet ride on my way home this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: