Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 10:25 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times

Advertisements

less than 1 during the summers and 8 in the winters=5 overall: way to hot and could die on the street during my walks. Lived there in the 90's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2018, 11:48 PM

13,249 posts, read 7,290,839 times
Born and Raised in Orange County, CA beach city's weather was 10 I would rate Phoenix a 5 compared to there.

Cost of living would be the other way around if you asked about that Phoenix would be a 10.

I always tell anyone who wants to see what Phoenix heat is like come here between July 4th-30th has the highest heat index of the year usually. This year we have had a very mild spring compared to last few years looking like 100+ next week we won't drop back under 100+ high until September.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I rate Phoenix climate a minimum of 7 on the 10 point scale because 70% of the year, you get excellent weather.

Seattle gets about 4 on a 10 point scale.
Richland. Washington (where I'm retiring in addition to wintering in Phoenix) I would give a 5.5
South Texas and Louisiana, I would rate about 5.5 as well
Kuwait (where I am now working), I would rate about a 3
Arequipa, Peru I would give the only 10
Seoul, Korea about a 5
Moscow, Russia 4
Shanghai, China 5.5
San Diego a 9.5
Portland, Or 4.5
Ulan Bator, Mongolia 3.5
On a scale 1-10, how do you rate Phoenix climate to where you've lived in the past?

I'm a Phoenix area native but I did live outside of Portland Oregon for a short time in the mid 1990s.

I'm not sure how many people were asked to obtain the results for every city, since everyone has different preferences in the weather, in other words, if you were to ask 100 people in the Phoenix area, you might get a high rating, whereas if all 4 million people in the Phoenix area were asked, the rating may be different.

Personally, I would give the Phoenix area 5 or 6, mainly because of the hot summers, and the warm weather tends to stay with us through October, sort of like an uninvited guest that won't leave..

Old 05-22-2018, 07:48 AM

7,733 posts, read 6,451,998 times

It's an oven. And I ain't no turkey!

Old 05-22-2018, 08:08 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,859,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I think you're one of the first to compare the Bar Area and I agree, their climate is very good though not as good as San Diego/Orange County. I lived in Portland and Seattle many years and yeah, that gray weather for months is depressing....summers are great but then you start dreading the next winter.
LOL.. just like us here when we start dreading the upcoming summer around.. March or April.

I did live outside of the Portland area for a year in the mid 1990s, and I tend to agree with you on the "gray weather" from October through early May.

Old 05-22-2018, 05:00 PM

99 posts, read 162,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Have you even been here a whole year yet (or even a summer to fall?)?

I love the heat, love the fact that it is starting early because that means pool season starts early! This is my favorite time of year here, when it's mostly clear skies, hot days, warm nights. Once mid-late June hits and monsoon season is here, the clouds roll in and the rain chances get higher. I almost feel like we only get about 6 weeks of really great summer weather until monsoon comes and ruins it
HI Elle Tea, I remember when you first decided to move to Arizona...You must love it..you're still there, lol......I haven't been on in sometime and decided to drop in....I'm still in Iowa and I think Arizona weather would top Iowa hands down....Hello everyone..

Old 05-22-2018, 05:49 PM

30,348 posts, read 19,134,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
On a scale 1-10, how do you rate Phoenix climate to where you've lived in the past?

I'm a Phoenix area native but I did live outside of Portland Oregon for a short time in the mid 1990s.

I'm not sure how many people were asked to obtain the results for every city, since everyone has different preferences in the weather, in other words, if you were to ask 100 people in the Phoenix area, you might get a high rating, whereas if all 4 million people in the Phoenix area were asked, the rating may be different.

Personally, I would give the Phoenix area 5 or 6, mainly because of the hot summers, and the warm weather tends to stay with us through October, sort of like an uninvited guest that won't leave..
Yeah so I would expect that people preferring warmer and sunnier climate to be concentrated in places like Phoenix and those loving cool and gray climate in places like Seattle. However, I prefer sunny but because of work, ended up living in the PNW for decades.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:02 PM

262 posts, read 202,185 times
This place gets a one during the summer. I suppose, it could get hotter here. But by how much? Anything more it would just be uninhabitable. However, once the summer is over I would give this place a 9.5 in the winter. The only thing we’re missing is a little bit more rain.

However, it is the desert so I’m not going to knock off an entire point

Old 05-22-2018, 09:41 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
This place gets a one during the summer. I suppose, it could get hotter here. But by how much? Anything more it would just be uninhabitable.
The urban heat island effect has caused the summers to be a lot more intolerable because it doesn't cool down at night like it used to. When Phoenix was a lot smaller, and when there was more agriculture around, the nights were noticeably cooler. In fact, 50 years ago it was almost unheard of to have a low temperature of 90 degrees, but now it's a common occurrence in July & August. The daytime highs have also gotten somewhat hotter, but I'm not sure if that's due to the urban heat island, or the so called global warming effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer480 View Post
However, once the summer is over I would give this place a 9.5 in the winter. The only thing we’re missing is a little bit more rain.
What's missing lately is a LOT more rain. Our winters used to be much wetter than they are now. There were many times during the 1970s, '80s, and '90s when we had so much rain during the winter that water had to be released from the dams into the river beds, which caused unbridged crossings to flood, and even some bridged crossings were washed out. The weather patterns were like clockwork: December, January, February, and March were rainy, then it would dry out in April, May, and June. Lately, our winter wet season is sporadic, not consistent. This has resulted in much less snow in northern AZ, which has caused a major statewide drought.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:16 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The urban heat island effect has caused the summers to be a lot more intolerable because it doesn't cool down at night like it used to. When Phoenix was a lot smaller, and when there was more agriculture around, the nights were noticeably cooler. In fact, 50 years ago it was almost unheard of to have a low temperature of 90 degrees, but now it's a common occurrence in July & August. The daytime highs have also gotten somewhat hotter, but I'm not sure if that's due to the urban heat island, or the so called global warming effect.

What's missing lately is a LOT more rain. Our winters used to be much wetter than they are now. There were many times during the 1970s, '80s, and '90s when we had so much rain during the winter that water had to be released from the dams into the river beds, which caused unbridged crossings to flood, and even some bridged crossings were washed out. The weather patterns were like clockwork: December, January, February, and March were rainy, then it would dry out in April, May, and June. Lately, our winter wet season is sporadic, not consistent. This has resulted in much less snow in northern AZ, which has caused a major statewide drought.
I remember that happening in the El Nino winter of 04-05, and it flooded McKellips and completely washed out Gilbert Rd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area