Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 11:26 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,255,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm27m View Post
2. Some areas that aren't in city limits (even though it might seem like they are) and even some smaller cities will be required to pay an annual contract fee to Rural Metro Fire for Fire/Emergency services. You don't HAVE to pay but they will bill you for services if you aren't a paying member. It's like paying for insurance...you may need it or you may not. I'm on the west side and the two areas that come to mind are Waddell and Litchfield Park. The price is based off your home size and attributes. Our home is about 2400sqft and it runs us $600 a year. This was definitely a new thing to us. Even though it works out to only $50 a month, the Rural Metro fee was our biggest shocker. No one told us about it at any point in the process of buying our home. If a coworker hadn't mentioned it, we could have been hit with a huge bill later on.
Is there a map of these areas that one should buy this coverage?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 05:58 AM

51 posts, read 62,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Is there a map of these areas that one should buy this coverage?

This is the best I could come up with. Click on whatever area applies to you (my home would be "West County") and the icons are near their stations. If a home you're looking at is near one of their stations, it would be worth a call to Rural Metro.

https://www.ruralmetrofire.com/locat...y-arizona.html

Edit: Looks like there are only 9 locations in Maricopa County.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 AM

125 posts, read 106,821 times
Look for a house with north/south exposure. It’ll make a huge difference in your electric bill in the summer and in your quality of life.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 112,799 times
I appreciate all the great tips! I forgot to factor in the Snowbird effect on commutes. Thank you all!

Old 05-26-2018, 10:43 AM

39,149 posts, read 51,440,315 times
SRP electric is cheaper than APS.

Areas served by private water companies can cost much more than city water systems.

Don't assume your HOA will be lenient on the rules. Some are, most aren't. Be prepared to live under a microscope.

Forget the ratings. Schools are a get what you pay for (in home cost) proposition. Better hoods = better schools

Master planned communities offer many ways to get to know your neighbors/make friends/have things to do if you are that type. If you live in a non master planned, it is likely you will never know anyone on your block.

Starter neighborhoods turn ghetto in as little as five years. Plan on getting out.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:13 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,681,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Starter neighborhoods turn ghetto in as little as five years. Plan on getting out.
I'd like to probe into this a little more. Why do you say that? In my experience (granted, not in Phoenix), it's usually the opposite... "ghetto" neighborhoods tend to become "gentrified" due to the large numbers of people who cannot afford a "real" neighborhood. I guess I'd like to hear more about your observations, and if anyone else chimes in on this topic.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I'd like to probe into this a little more. Why do you say that? In my experience (granted, not in Phoenix), it's usually the opposite... "ghetto" neighborhoods tend to become "gentrified" due to the large numbers of people who cannot afford a "real" neighborhood. I guess I'd like to hear more about your observations, and if anyone else chimes in on this topic.
That happens too, in the ones that have character. But in the stucco and tile starter hoods, the first buyers move out and up pretty soon as incomes rise, renters replace them and in short order you have a low income, crime ridden neighborhood where you want out.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 05-26-2018 at 03:46 PM..

Old 05-26-2018, 02:29 PM

300 posts, read 442,919 times
Quote:
Starter neighborhoods are cheap and poor people can bunk up to afford one easily.

Like the houses west of Mill in northern Tempe are kind of ghetto, but they're expensive for what you get and being gentrified.

On the opposite side, my friend bought in a new starter community in Glendale, because it was new and affordable, but he's had his house and car broken into.

Old 05-26-2018, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghdana View Post
Starter neighborhoods are cheap and poor people can bunk up to afford one easily.

Like the houses west of Mill in northern Tempe are kind of ghetto, but they're expensive for what you get and being gentrified.

On the opposite side, my friend bought in a new starter community in Glendale, because it was new and affordable, but he's had his house and car broken into.
The ones I am talking about are the new builds in Laveen, Tolleson, parts of Avondale, El Mirage, etc. They are in very nice neighborhoods at first with young families, some kidless, some just starting a family. The spanking newness can fool a newcomer. In a few years they start to go to rentals as the owners sell to investors. From there it goes downhill quickly. My advice to the OP is to not buy in these places with the expectation of it being your "forever" home. Don't get a lot of expensive upgrades, add a pool and do other things where you won't get your money back. Plan on staying a few years, gain a little equity and move to a "move up" neighborhood (often not too far down the street).

Old 05-26-2018, 04:10 PM

6,316 posts, read 6,866,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
SRP electric is cheaper than APS.

Areas served by private water companies can cost much more than city water systems.

Don't assume your HOA will be lenient on the rules. Some are, most aren't. Be prepared to live under a microscope.

Forget the ratings. Schools are a get what you pay for (in home cost) proposition. Better hoods = better schools

Master planned communities offer many ways to get to know your neighbors/make friends/have things to do if you are that type. If you live in a non master planned, it is likely you will never know anyone on your block.

Quote:
It would be worth asking what is considered a price range for a starter home. Is it 300k or less? Having some sort of criteria could target some of the lower income neighborhoods and help determine which ones are good and which ones are bad or "could be bad" in a few years. It requires some nuance.

But regarding the HOA comment, this is why I will always live in A) an older neighborhood or B) an HOA that at the least pays for utilities and some amenities. Having the one bill for everything is nice, mostly condos or townhouses do that but I don't see the point in owning a single family house and then being restricted on what you can put in your backyard (someone made a comment about RVs), how to decorate the front yard, etc. What's the point of owning land if you can't have some freedom to do with it as you please, so long that it's not going to hurt anybody. If I want to put a saguaro on my front yard instead of grass I should be able to, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area